PDA

View Full Version : Avanti Sizing

Ralph Wiggum.
22-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Anyone know much about Avanti sizing? What height/size are those riding Avanti's? I'm looking at a Hammer but its 16", is that too short for my 6ft of grunt?

jasco
22-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I bought myself and Avanti Agressor the other day. I'm 6'2" and I'm riding a Medium (38cm). It's a great little bike for getting around town etc and fits great for technical trail riding, but if I were riding pure XC I would have gotten a size up, just to get the perfect fit. But if I had of, I wouldn't have had a bike I can flick around as easily.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help out.

black rider
22-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm 6ft and rode an 18" (45cm) Avanti Hurricane for purely XC. It was probably borderline small for me and that purpose. But I do prefer smaller frames. A slightly longer stem allowed me to stretch out more.

Velophile
22-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Anyone know much about Avanti sizing? What height/size are those riding Avanti's? I'm looking at a Hammer but its 16", is that too short for my 6ft of grunt?

Ralph

Check out the Avanti specs here - http://www.avanti.co.nz/pdf/2004BikeGeometry1.pdf

I like Avanti for having long top tubes. I'm 6'2" with long limbs. My current bike has a TT close to a Medium Avanti & is a little short for me. I'd like an XLarge for XC use but could ride a Large OK.

Loonspoon
23-04-2004, 10:09 AM
I've got an Avanti Hammer. It's a 45cm frame and suits my 5'11" height perfectly. It has never done me wrong for XC, Downhill and some lame trials.

bighitter
24-04-2004, 09:17 PM
i have a 2002 avanti competetor, and it's 45cm , and im just over 6 foot.

Arran
03-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Ralph,

Your overall height is secondary to your leg length as a percentage of your total height. Find out what your ideal seat height is and use that as your basis for finding the right size frame.

To get an estimate of your seat height (deep breath) adjust the amount of pillar extending from your frame until your leg is straight and your knee locked out when you are sitting with you hips level on the seat and your heel is resiting on the pedal with the crank parallel with the seat tube.

Measure the distance from the centre of the B/B to the top of your seat (don't worry about going all the way down to the pedal because any bike you'll be looking at will have 175mm cranks). The right size frame for you is the one that will have 220 to 260mm of seat pillar (from where it exits the frame to the rails of the saddle) protruding from the frame with your measurement.

This will not be the case if you have unusually long or short legs. Then you'll have to take the length of the 'cockpit' (nose of the saddle to handlebar length) into consideration. The correct cockpit length is measured by riding the bike in a straight line and when you look down, your view of the front hub should be obscured by the handlebars.

If the frame with the correct seat pillar extension feels too long (with a 110-130mm stem) you will have to go for a smaller frame and more seat pillar.

If the frame feels too short you will have to go for a bigger frame and sacrifice standover clearance.

In an Avanti, you will be a Medium, Large (most likely) or and Extra Large.

Good luck! :wink:

Grover
03-05-2004, 04:29 PM
the mathematical way to find frame size and seat height is to measure you inseam length and times it by 0.56 for frame size (that's for mtb, road is different) and 1.09 for seat height.
Do this by standing against a wall in your usual riding gear, ie. knicks if you wear them, and some thin socks, with feet pedal width apart. push a thick book or similar up under your groin like the saddle would be and measure from the ground to the top of the book.
Without doing that I'd be guessing at 6ft, most likely a large, maybe medium. Not 16" though.

Trentm
23-06-2004, 08:15 PM
I think the best way to find out what size avanti bike you want is to head to your local bike shop and ask to see the avanti sizing sheet for avanti bikes.I know that avanti produce a sheet that says exactly what height matches what frame size.

fatkat
27-06-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm 5'7 and a Medium (38cm) is perfect for me... (i tried on my mates competitor) i rekon a large (whatever size that is) would be right for you

Pellicaan
07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Dude, I'm 6 foot 3 and I ride an Avanti Hammer. A tried a large but it was too cramped so I'm on an extra large which is still only 48cm. Because of the geometry of the pro series frames I would suggest that if your 6 ft or more, anything less that an XL will be too small.