PDA

View Full Version : How to get grazes to heal quickly?

jonot
19-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Keep it bone dry?
Put Betadine on it?
Undiluted Dettol? Yes, this has happened to me before :o

John U
19-01-2006, 05:10 PM
this is what i was told.
put betadine on when it first happens to fill any germs. don't keep putting it on because betadine kills all germs and bacteria including the good ones that do the healing. same with dettol.

i then try to take good care of the scab. if a can keep the same scab on the wound the whole time while it's healing it heals quicker. i do this by putting some sorbolene on it before i get in the shower. this moisturises the scab giving it some flexibility and sort of protects it from the water. wash it and dry it carefully. sorbolene can also be used as a subtitute for soap so it sort acts like soap as well.
this works for me. it may not work for you.
don't be too heavy handed with the sorbolene as you may end up with ingrown hairs around the wound.

not getting it wet is pretty hard so i find having a reasonable way of dealing with it getting wet works best.

this method should only be used with shallow wounds like grazes, not deep gashes.

jonot
19-01-2006, 05:12 PM
this is what i was told.
put betadine on when it first happens to fill any germs. don't keep putting it on because betadine kills all germs and bacteria including the good ones that do the healing. same with dettol.

i then try to take good care of the scab. if a can keep the same scab on the wound the whole time while it's healing it heals quicker. i do this by putting some sorbolene on it before i get in the shower. this moisturises the scab giving it some flexibility and sort of protects it from the water. wash it and dry it carefully. sorbolene can also be used as a subtitute for soap so it sort acts like soap as well.
this works for me. it may not work for you.
don't be too heavy handed with the sorbolene as you may end up with ingrown hairs around the wound.

not getting it wet is pretty hard so i find having a reasonable way of dealing with it getting wet works best.

this method should only be used with shallow wounds like grazes, not deep gashes.

Thanks for that.

Will try the Sorbolene idea.

ona rampage
19-01-2006, 05:53 PM
In terms of cleaning up the wound, I find hydrogen peroxide is the king! It was recommended to me by a student nurse, as one of the few things that still kills all germs (arguably a number of germs have grown immune to dettol). Stings like a bitch, foams up really nicely, and gets rid of bacteria.

Joel O
19-01-2006, 06:08 PM
after spending a term studying hydrogen peroxide, doing decomposition experiments among others, i wouldn't be too keen to put it onto a wound. it will kill anything in there (it's basically bleach), it will also kill a fair amount of flesh it comes into contact with.

BrumbyJack
19-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I use Hydrogen Peroxide too, but only when it first happens.... it will kill the new skin that is growing.

I find that is stops the wound from oozing/bleeding too much... but of course, it's not "by the book" technique, so I'd only use it on myself or my kids.....

If you do get an infection, another hit with the HP will clean it up quick.... but don't keep using it.

As I already said, this is definitely NOT what is currently recommended for wound management.... but it sure works for me.

Gravjunkie
19-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Try isopropyl alchohol or maybe a blowtorch or just hit yourself in the head with a hammer, you'll soon forget about that nasty little graze.

Dale666
19-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Taken from Scars thread http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=45797 (couldnt be fud re-typing):

Paraffin Wax:Most chemists can make this for you if not on shelf. Apply to any fresh scab. Provides moisture into the scab allowing it to flex and not get crusty and tear. Scab will fall of in half the usual time.

A Cortisone Based Ointment Any ointment or cream that contains Hydro-cortisone acetate (common in treatment for skin infections). Contains the steroid Cortisone in low levels. Prescription needed in NSW not sure in others. Stimulates new cell growth in damaged areas. Will not clear up old scars but when applied on fresh scars as soon as the scab comes off it will except in extreme cases clear up visible scarring.

After destroying my face 2years ago (dont huck on xc rig) and requiring a long visit to Westmead plastic dept. Above is what I was told to use by my surgeon. I have now nearly no visible scarring except for a spot on my chin. This only took 4 weeks to heal.

bowzaa
19-01-2006, 06:45 PM
That's one savage graze Dale666
Best way around grazes is not to get them.
Denim jeans and a long sleeve tee or hoodie.
Either that or just don't crash;)

daddyrat
19-01-2006, 06:45 PM
A good homeopathicfor open wounds incl. burns is callendula.
for bruises and inflammation use arnica.
both come as ointments .u can get them at health food shops or some alternative health centers.
i have used both for a long time now and they are heaps better than all these cemicals.
natural you know.

Drizz
19-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Paw Paw ointment seems to work well to help scab form. It gels to your wound and form a second layer of protection over your scab.

Ben-e
19-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I use Hydrogen Peroxide too, but only when it first happens.... it will kill the new skin that is growing.

This is also my choice - very useful when you step on coral in a very humid environment, like Indo. Hurts like fark though, but its cool watching all the shit fizzle around. Like Jacko said, use only when it happens, not after.

action man
19-01-2006, 09:56 PM
ok here is the best way i have found to heal grazes (shallow wounds) quickly.

soon after the accident wash the wound in the shower and make sure you get rid of all the dirt and crap in there, use a scrubbing brush if necessary. if will sting like a bitch, but you have to have a clean wound to promote good healing.

if you have hairy limbs, then remove the hair surounding the wound. this helps to keep a clean healing environment and also allows the dressing to stick to your skin. also hair provides a growing environment for bad bacteria thats why they shave you before and operation. use clippers, but i find a razor is best.

get yourself some of those fancy membrane dressings from the pharmacy, the ones that are like sticky glad-wrap and have an absorbent pad in the middle. (just ask the pharmacist and they will know what your are talking about) get one big enough to cover the entire wound. they are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and work by keeping bad tings out of the wound and keeping all the good things in.

stick it on carefully taking care to avoid and wrinkles and creases in the dressing.

leave it on until it basically falls off. in the first couple of days with will be nearly every 18-24 hours due to the amount of weeping from the wound. this will dry up after the first few days and the dressings will stay on longer and longer for up to 3-4 days.

sure the dressings can be a bit exxy, but i reakon they are worth the money as they make wounds heal faster with les pain and without the inconvenience of having to worry about knocking a scab off by accident. it also helps having both parents as pharmacists to supply you with previously mentioned dressings.

good luck

THRILLHOUSE
19-01-2006, 10:00 PM
hydrocortisone acetate cream i think it's called?? I got it from the doctor and makes stuff heal nice and fast.

STS01
20-01-2006, 01:22 AM
ok here is the best way i have found to heal grazes (shallow wounds) quickly.

soon after the accident wash the wound in the shower and make sure you get rid of all the dirt and crap in there, use a scrubbing brush if necessary. if will sting like a bitch, but you have to have a clean wound to promote good healing.

if you have hairy limbs, then remove the hair surounding the wound. this helps to keep a clean healing environment and also allows the dressing to stick to your skin. also hair provides a growing environment for bad bacteria thats why they shave you before and operation. use clippers, but i find a razor is best.

get yourself some of those fancy membrane dressings from the pharmacy, the ones that are like sticky glad-wrap and have an absorbent pad in the middle. (just ask the pharmacist and they will know what your are talking about) get one big enough to cover the entire wound. they are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and work by keeping bad tings out of the wound and keeping all the good things in.

stick it on carefully taking care to avoid and wrinkles and creases in the dressing.

leave it on until it basically falls off. in the first couple of days with will be nearly every 18-24 hours due to the amount of weeping from the wound. this will dry up after the first few days and the dressings will stay on longer and longer for up to 3-4 days.

sure the dressings can be a bit exxy, but i reakon they are worth the money as they make wounds heal faster with les pain and without the inconvenience of having to worry about knocking a scab off by accident. it also helps having both parents as pharmacists to supply you with previously mentioned dressings.

good luck

I'm an Emergency doctor so I see plenty of this stuff. I agree 100% with action man.

You need to rinse / scrub it (yes it will hurt. A lot) then seal it with a clean dressing. The ones he's talking about are called Opsite and you can get them at the chemist- you need to get ones with the white pad under them, otherwise get stuff called Meloliteto use as the pad bit. There is also stuff called Adaptic which is like a greasy gauze. The best wound dressing is graze>Adaptic>Melolite (or the pad on opsite)>Opsite. Then leave it all in place for about 3-4 days.

Don't clean the wound with Peroxide or strong antibacterial stuff- as people have mentioned, it just kills the skin cells and delays healing.

I'll probably upset a few of the more 'herbal' types here but don't put any alternative potions onto broken skin- they aren't necessarily sterile and they won't make it heal any quicker.

PS If it's more than 10 years since you had one, get a tetanus shot from your GP sometime. It's better to have it before your next big stack...

m_g
20-01-2006, 09:57 AM
medicinal honey (get it at chemists) is supposed to be awesome for cuts, wounds and burns...havent tried it myself but friends rave about it...

hardinge915
20-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Metho.. kills all the bacteria etc and makes it heal nice and quick... stings like a bitch for a while though.

naz
20-01-2006, 11:36 AM
dude either liquid bandaids or the equivilant bandaid advance things, i swear they heal so quick and u just put it on and leave it till it heals, fine in the shower and shit too

pommiebiker
20-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I mashed my elbow pretty well last weekend but thanks to my nurse chick its healed really well. She used one of the pads action man mentioned and a bandage just to protect the dressing a bit. after a couple of days we took that off, it dried and now the scab is coming off. Tops. Means I can ride again this weekend, although I'm not so sure the chick is too happy about that ....:D

Ivan
21-01-2006, 05:42 AM
And donīt smoke.........cigarettes or weed, they both slow down the healing process a lot. I am being serious you know.:D

|-Mark-|
21-01-2006, 09:07 AM
when i have a bad spill i always put on a cream called Savlon which is a Antiseptic cream over the cut.
works great

Arete
21-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Having both tried to reduce scarring and tried to increase it on scarification work, I can definetly say that the parrafin oil idea is awesome. it heals up grazes really fast and with minimal scarring. I used melolite dressings on road rash from a motorbike crash and it worked brilliantly.

As for what not to do, unless you actually want scars, don't uneccessarily scrub the shit out of it. Clean it yes, but don't scrub the crap out of it thinking it's going to help it heal. Also, if anything stings bad when you put it on, it's not good for healing past the intial disinfecting stage. Don't pick at the scabs. Basically, if it hurts/sucks to do it to the wound, it's not good for it.

On the other hand for scarification work (if you want a wound to scar) keep it covered in glad wrap 24/7 for 2 weeks or so, scrub off any scabs with a clean nail brush and hit it with Hydrogen peroxide twice a day. Yeah it kind of sucks.

STS01
22-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Having both tried to reduce scarring and tried to increase it on scarification work, I can definetly say that the parrafin oil idea is awesome. it heals up grazes really fast and with minimal scarring. I used melolite dressings on road rash from a motorbike crash and it worked brilliantly.

As for what not to do, unless you actually want scars, don't uneccessarily scrub the shit out of it. Clean it yes, but don't scrub the crap out of it thinking it's going to help it heal. Also, if anything stings bad when you put it on, it's not good for healing past the intial disinfecting stage. Don't pick at the scabs. Basically, if it hurts/sucks to do it to the wound, it's not good for it.

On the other hand for scarification work (if you want a wound to scar) keep it covered in glad wrap 24/7 for 2 weeks or so, scrub off any scabs with a clean nail brush and hit it with Hydrogen peroxide twice a day. Yeah it kind of sucks.

I think lotions/potions/antiseptics etc are way over rated and cleaning / scrubbing isn't used enough!

Basically if it's a decent graze with bits of dirt and grass and broken bike parts stuck to it (technically "obvious contamination") it needs cleaning until that stuff is gone. There are 3 reasons to get rid of this stuff-
1. Reduce the risk of infection
2. Avoid tattooing (where the skin heals over stuff and you can see it through the skin)
3. Speed wound healing by getting rid of dead tissue

If you go to the hospital with a minor wound it will get cleaned relatively gently in the ED mainly because it hurts and people think you're trying to kill them if you scrub it. On the other hand, people who have major stacks and have cuts and grazes all over them often go to the operating theatre, get a general anaesthetic and then the wounds are cleaned, scrubbed and if necessarry 'debrided' where dead and 'devitalised' tissue is cut away to expose fresh, clean tissue with good blood supply. It then gets covered with dressing like I decribed in the first post. (Adaptic, Melolite & Opsite. Adaptic dressings use a similar stuff to the parafin that Arete mentioned)

BTW when I say 'scrubbed' I mean with a clean soft bristled brush, not something with stiff nylon bristles like you'd clean the dunny with. You can get sterile 'scrub' brushes from the chemist which are what surgeons use to scrub their hands before operating. They are clean, disposable and have soft bristles on one side and a sponge on the other.

Regarding Metho, hydrogen peroxide etc there are also 3 problems with it:

1. It might kill most exposed bacteria, but doesn't remove dirt. Dirt is like a sponge and can hold bacteria that the metho doesn't touch. The dirt can also tattoo the skin etc

2. It kills new skin cells and kills the immune cells which are rushing into the area to prevent infection. (which you now need more than ever because of all that dirt you didn't scrub out...)

3. Healing requires blood flow to feed the growing cells and bring immune cells to the site. Metho etc causes small blood vessels to shrink up (so does smoking...) and reduces blood flow.

All this applies to decent grazes- if it's just a bit of reddened scuff, don't worry about it- just clean it in the shower and forget about it.

Leigh
23-01-2006, 08:00 PM
wicked, thanks for that!! now i know how to clean em up!! When me or my mates got a graze we would just gaffer a tissue to our leg and leave it while we were riding!!

Mr Pants
23-01-2006, 08:34 PM
http://www.bravesoldier.com/p_antiseptic.php

This stuff is the business, I picked up a couple of tubs in the US, you can get it mail order I presume.

fleshbone
24-01-2006, 12:47 AM
well if i crash and still able to ride,i just sweat it out and let it heal in its own time,i might cover it so it wont get too dirty when riding.oh and i of course clean the wound.

tinto
24-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Aside from adding chemicals/herbs to the wound - how much will your diet affect the healing time?

Are there any nutritionists about?

STS01
24-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Aside from adding chemicals/herbs to the wound - how much will your diet affect the healing time?

Are there any nutritionists about?

I'm no nutritionist but you might find the following useful-

In medicine the aim is to use evidence to actually prove that something works and that it's benefits outweigh it's risks. Keep in mind that a lot of dietary and supplement type stuff is NOT subject to this process...A lot of information that gets kicked around about health and nutrition is basically just what people think or have heard from some undefined "they" as in "they say...."

One of the better sources of evidence is a "review" article where the author puts together the findings of a bunch of actual experiments or clinical trials. The following article is a review of about 150 different sources of data.

Nutrition and wound healing.
Williams JZ - Surg Clin North Am - 01-JUN-2003; 83(3): 571-96

If you want to read it (its 26 pages...) you can either get it from your Uni or PM me for a PDF copy.

Basically it says that wound healing tends to take a high priority in a nutritional sense- ie your body heals well unless it is quite malnourished.

Keeping this in mind, there are some things which the evidence suggests do have an effect:

1. Protein malnutrition and diabetes (high blood sugar) will impair healing.

2. The amino acid arginine can help healing but it's probably only worth adding it if your diet is poor. The same goes for vitamins C and E. Adequate Vitamin E may help to reduce scarring.

Most of this info is related to significant surgical wounds, so if you are talking about grazes, generally your diet won't have an effect unless it's really bad...

Hope that helps

Icarus
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
And donīt smoke.........cigarettes or weed, they both slow down the healing process a lot. I am being serious you know.:D

I heard that deep cuts, and especially head wounds can be stopped from bleeding by sprinkling crushed tobbaco (like out of a rollies pack) into it. It constricts the immediate blood vessels, slowing the bleeding and letting a scab form quicker. Its supposed to deaden the pain as well.

I don't know if i'd be shoving the stuff in any cuts, but is food for thought.