Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sram Force or Dura-ace

Default Sram Force or Dura-ace

Im looking at getting a new bike and it comes with a choice of upgrades i can either get the 10spd dura-ace groupset or i can get the 10spd sram force groupset i just wanted to know what you guys think i should get, im looking more towards the sram force.
    thanks.

personally id go the DA. the only groupset from sram that i would get would be red but as thats not an option id go for shimano. having said that, if you prefer the feel of force of DA then just get it, its by no means bad.
    asher
    My bikes:
    Specced Litespeed Team
    +more.

Quote Originally Posted by a.davis12 View Post
    personally id go the DA. the only groupset from sram that i would get would be red but as thats not an option id go for shimano. having said that, if you prefer the feel of force of DA then just get it, its by no means bad.
    asher
    Nope.
    I have Red and came from Rival
    To me there is very little difference in feel between these 2 groupsets.
    The Red is bling carbon and light whereas the Rival is alloy and heavier.
    The shifting on both is crisp and precise. There may be some small amount of extra stiffness in the Red crankset, but I honestly cannot feel it. The brakes on both are strong and work well. The ability to shift whilst in the drops is also good vs DA.
    Honestly, if it was not for the fact that I wanted the Red for my Moots there would really be no good reason to spend the extra $ for it.
    Even the SRAM Rival groupset is lighter than the DA groupset from what I understand.
    All SRAM gear works well and IMO is more aesthetically pleasing than current DA.

i change my mind. wait till next year and get the electric DA :p or maybe campag 11 speed
    My bikes:
    Specced Litespeed Team
    +more.

Quote Originally Posted by a.davis12 View Post
    i change my mind. wait till next year and get the electric DA :p or maybe campag 11 speed
    Yeah I can see why you would do that (NOT).
    And have you seen these pictures of the ugliest Campy product of all time??

^^^^^^^^
    I love my Campag but that is just plain UGLY!!

Sumgy your SRAM red looks pretty nice too. I noticed that a lot of the Astana guys have been spotted using DA rings on red cranks.... might say something about the durability some people on here have been talking about.
    " AS BENT AS THE RUSSIAN SICKLE, AND AS HARD AS THE HAMMER THAT CROSSES IT! "

Get Dura Ace, easily a winner over sram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumgy View Post
    Yeah I can see why you would do that (NOT).
    And have you seen these pictures of the ugliest Campy product of all time??

that looks like Alien. (i was being sarcastic before too:P)
    My bikes:
    Specced Litespeed Team
    +more.

thanks for the reply's i still think i might get the sram force because they are carbon there for lighter. but i would still have the dura-ace any day. keep the comments coming though because i not getting bike for a while.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumgy View Post
    All SRAM gear works well and IMO is more aesthetically pleasing than current DA.
    Interesting, I agree and disagree. My old bike had 9 speed DA, and working in a shop I get to demo new bikes with 10 speed DA and Force. My own bike is 10 speed Rival...

Anyway, like their mtb counterparts, Sram is good at somethings, flawed at others. Based on both my experience as an owner, and as a shop dealing with customers, the cranks, cassettes and chains let Sram down. Every single Rival and Force group we've dealt with has developed the same flaws in a very short period of time. Everything from severely chainsucking rings, chains that show stretch over a period of weeks on NEW bikes, not to mention the standard crank problems that Truvativ have been plagued by. Stripped interfaces between the crankarm and spindle, bottom brackets seizing in several months. I am yet to find any faults at all with Shimano's equivalent parts. As a result, all the (few) Sram equipped bikes have had some of the parts swapped out before they get to customers to eliminate the problems. Sram shouldn't feel bad about these parts, as they are all flawed in the their mountain bike range as well- Truvativ chainrings and Sram cassettes anyone?

BUT, Sram shifting, braking and the spring tension in their derailleurs is much better than Shimano, and most riders prefer the feel to campy. I don't think the shifting is much more ergonomic (although the hoods feel better with Sram than the others, as well as the pretty colours...) but the action is light, but much more metallic than DA.

If you really want to run Force, piss off the crankset, chain and cassette instantly, and run DA versions. It will be heavier, but it will last longer, shift better and be much less of a hassle. At the very least loose the chainrings and the cassettes... you will appreciate it after a few months of riding.

Lastly, don't forget that the new DA will land on the 09 bikes, so most guys will be clearing out their 7800/1 stock.
    Sporting:Trek Domane Classics P1|'15 Yeti SB6C|Trek Boone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast