Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much notice do I need to give when resigning?

Default How much notice do I need to give when resigning?

Im moving on from my current job. I am permanent part time and was under the impression that I needed to give 2 weeks notice. HR has come back saying that i need to give 4 weeks notice. Seems like an long time that I have to hang around when I would rather not be there. Anyone have any ideas? Im in NSW working retail if that makes any differance.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PINT of Stella, mate! View Post
    A woman behind the wheel of a car!?!

That's preposterous. Next they'll be asking for the vote! :rolleyes:

Read your contract or EBA.

It will specifically state it in there.

General rule of thumb (unless otherwise specified in the contract) is 1 pay period.

So if you get paid monthly, you need to give a months notice and 1 week if you get paid weekly.

It's sensible, and polite to give as much notice as you can if you want a good reference though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Howard

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

last 2 jobs it was
    2 weeks notice
    and the one befor that was to work out the rostered week
    so if you havent gotten your roster go resign now

hope that helped
    Silky smooth trades with: Sethius, FoxRidersCo, Milne, ~James~ and many many more!

Quote Originally Posted by NCR600 View Post
    General rule of thumb (unless otherwise specified in the contract) is 1 pay period.

So if you get paid monthly, you need to give a months notice and 1 week if you get paid weekly.

It's sensible, and polite to give as much notice as you can if you want a good reference though!
    What he said.:)

One thing to note, I believe it is illegal to give a bad reference about a past employee. So past employer references can be useless sometimes.
    A man must believe in something.
    I believe I'll have another beer!

President of the Andrew Bolt Fan Club.

Quote Originally Posted by scblack View Post

So past employer references can be useless sometimes.

But it could mean the difference between a glowing/good reference & a 'just a reference'.

ditto what NCR said.
    Listen to Black Metal

Having been through a dispute with a shite casual employer in undergrad, unless you agreed to conditions contrary, the general LEGAL rule is 1 pay period.
    Full time workers, this would be 1 pay cycle e.g. month, fortnight, etc.
    If you are a casual employee, a pay period is the period which you are paid - i.e. if your employer calculates your pay in 4 hour blocks, you can quit on 4 hours notice. If they calculate it to the minute, you can resign effective immediately.
    The same goes the other way in terms of termination. I.e. a casual employer can fire you on the spot if they pay incrementally.
    Also in relation to that dispute I had, if you never sign a casual employee contract and work full time hours, you are assumed legally to be a full time employee and as such, have the rights of a full time employee ;)

One Scotch & Joke PINT of Stella, mate!'s Avatar

I usually give people enough time to get out of the building safely
    You know I'm going to lose, and gambling's for fools! But that's the way I like it baby I don't wanna live forever!

4 weeks? For a part-timer?

Tell them to jam that up their arse*.

* Don't actually do this.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they're fun to push down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by casey79 View Post
    Im moving on from my current job. I am permanent part time and was under the impression that I needed to give 2 weeks notice. HR has come back saying that i need to give 4 weeks notice. Seems like an long time that I have to hang around when I would rather not be there. Anyone have any ideas? Im in NSW working retail if that makes any differance.
    Thanks
    HR departments are generally made up of people who are living proof that it's possible to fail an arts degree. Read your contract and if nothing explicit is stated then you're in the clear to use the "1 pay period" rule.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast