Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DH only for the younguns?

nice to see a thread like this
    very inspiring!

ive just entered masters 2 grade , been riding dh for about 15 years , still loving it .
    If there is one rule of thumb id go for , its if you dont use it you will loose it.
    That applies to fitness, cooridation and attidude.
    one of the best things that keeps me going is training younger riders , there is definatly a two way street of inspiration going on.

Oh the best thing ive found latly - powerball - feel so much more stable on the handel bars in those rough sections. used to think i was just getting old loosing hands off bars and being unko.

ah well have fun guys ,plenty of years left in us yet

I read this thread front to back the other night and i got all the info I needed, been trolling the For Sale and fleabay, jeez there are some bargains....O'l school V 1,0's for two hungee. Like I care, see yous on the drop offs...\

Ive got the bug.
    Last week I took a really bad spill at Mt Tambourine and hit a tree and fell down a gully while riding with a fellow member here and it really shook me up alot. I laid there for about 10 min on the ground hugging that tree thinking how much could I get for my Team DH.Quickly changed my mind after a few good runs.
    Im 47 and raced motorcross my passed life and BMX, I really love DH and although new to it, living on the gold coast with lots of tracks local to me I feel that with lots of practice I will only get better and faster.
    The biggest problem is with age comes soft bones LOL.
    Any members of the old farts club that lives on the gold coast that wants to catch up with another old fart for a ride give me a PM.
    My old mans bike picture below
    Regards
    Addam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Golf Pro; 06-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Golf Pro, what exact model Norco is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bermshot View Post
    Golf Pro, what exact model Norco is that?
    Hi mate
    It's a 2007 team

I don't believe in getting old... Getting lazy to pedal, yes... I just bruised my arm at work today and, gah... I'll get over it :P

BTW: Schweet ride, Golf Pro :D
    Paying in 165gn of diplomacy

Default old .... nah

We fell into Mountain Biking about two years ago. Our eldest son wanted to buy a Mountain bike and we walked out of the shop with 3.... unfortunately (or not) he decided he likes DH better than XC.

So his younger brother started DH on his 20inch. Dad got sick of following them down on his XC bike so got an old P3 and found it much more enjoyable. Last count there's 12 bikes(varying vintage and styles) in the shed with 4 DH bikes as we now all do it as a sport together(I have heard the comment from one young boy that his mum battles to walk in heels - there's no way she'd ride a bike on the trails!!!). The 2 boys and dad race the Vic DH series together(dad's bet the elder one) and I just ride socially with them.

But hubbies major injuries have come from stupid things - rolling down a drop on his XC bike = torn ligaments in shoulder. And the best one - practicing cornering with son no 1 on their DH bikes and falling off = prolapsed disc and a impending visit to a neuro surgeon (not for a head check but I may request that because he still doesn't think he's 44:)). And to think it was all because the footpath was slippery!!!!!:D

Get out there and enjoy (PS hubby now loves lycra)
    "Dad concentrate on catching Oskar and when you pass him.....I'll be riding World Cup" Jacko Oct 2012

Whitie

I am reading you correctly - Mum and Dad and the 2 boys all doing DH? Good on you!!!:D

I'll be 50 later this year and I love my DH. I'm not fast but I have fun! I do wish more women would give it a go...
    fwords4life.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    Whitie

I am reading you correctly - Mum and Dad and the 2 boys all doing DH? Good on you!!!:D
    Yep... that's right all four of us ride DH and XC. Though I might scream a little bit more when attempting something for the first time, or get off and walk it, but I'm out there with them:)

Bikes 13 and 14 are due any day now. Since no 10 suffered a "stress fracture" from No 1 son "Pinning it hard" well that his excuse for causing the chain to constantly fall off and causing a flat on our shared bike:)
    "Dad concentrate on catching Oskar and when you pass him.....I'll be riding World Cup" Jacko Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bretty View Post
    I ride with my 15 year old son and his mates and they leave me for dead, but that's ok with me someone has to come last! Cheers Brett
    Agree Brett:

We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by. Will Rogers
    DHing is fun as a vet....... until you fall off!! Don't seem to bounce like I used to!! So I don't mind watching and laughing......:D

Everything is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else. Will Rogers
    Socrates is dead, Galilei is dead,
    Newton is dead, Einstein is dead,
    Pantani is dead and I'm feeling sick too

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast