Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: Differneces in Leatt Braces MX vs MTB

Default Differneces in Leatt Braces MX vs MTB

Im looking on the Leatt website to figure out the differences in the Leatt braces. I notice that TBSM is selling the "Adventure" series however apparently this is a MX brace according to the Leatt site. The "Ride" is mtb specific but it looks basic and Im wondering if it is unable to be properly fitted is there a point?

I guess the question is, for around that price range would I be better off with the mtb specific "DBX ride" or the "GPX Adventure II"?

Should I even consider the Alpinestars?? Apparently they are also not designed for mtb...

Help appreciated,

Whitey

All the DBX ones are bicycle specific, there's even a carbon one.

I've never used a moto one so I can't really comment on the difference between the two but from what I gather the moto ones are designed for a more upright riding position while the cycle specific ones are tailored to a leaning forward position, like you would be on a bicycle.
    Yay! I found out how to put something in my sig!

I personally emailed leatt in regards to the DBX(bike) and GPX (moto). The reponse I got said that the only difference is the padding is thinner on the DBX.
    Now as I understand it the only difference in the club/adventure braces is the adjustability. It is best to email leatt directly, they were very prompt with getting back to me, it took them less than 72hours.In regards to the alpine, a lot of my mates are using them but I chose to go with leatt, I felt that leatt had more stability and helped protect better against all types of neck movement.
    There is some talk that leatt reduces movement too much, however I have found that it is only a problem if;
    1. you have not set the brace up correctly
    2. you have improper vision techniques. I find that if you are looking up and down the trail the neck brace is not rescritive at all.
    There is also speculation that the leatt's break your collarbone, now although they work by distributing weight into your collar bone, the way I looked at it was; If I come off hard enough to break my collar bone then I would have probably done neck/spine damage without my brace in which case I would want to be wearing the brace. Id rather a broken collar bone over a neck of spine injury.

M2C
    Last edited by driftking; 22-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    My grandfather has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo

Found this on the FAQ page:

What is the difference between the DBX and GPX brace?
    While the GPX and DBX braces are structurally the same, the main difference is in the padding. The padding on the DBX braces are specifically designed for bicycle application and has a lower profile than any padding currently available for GPX braces.

Leatt® does NOT recommend using DBX-specific padding for motorcycle applications.

So it looks like it's all in the padding.