Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: Gungahlin dirt jumps, next build Sunday the 20th November 2:30 till 6:30

Hybrid View

Default Gungahlin dirt jumps, next build Sunday the 20th November 2:30 till 6:30

Plans are that we're just over 1 month away from opening the Gungahlin dirt park.

This saturday we'll be getting in a powered roller to compact jumps and berms across the park in preparation for final tweaking. What do we need this weekend people wise? A few folks to shovel extra dirt to fill in the low spots we find as we go, someone to drive the hose as we damp the surface prior to compacting, and, best of all, folks to ride the tracks.

I know you'd all rather be out riding than digging, so we're doing what we can to get the main grunt work done by machinery, but the final polish can really only be done by you folks.

Be great to have you along

Where: Wunderlich St Gungahlin at Yerrabi Ponds District Park (between the skate park and Magnet Mart).
    When: Saturday 10 till dark
    Why: Dirt jumps that won't get dozed.

Drew
    0409 226 343
    Last edited by FR Drew; 16-11-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    I don't bounce like I used to...

Gungahlin, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Default Sat dig

Hi, I just checked out the location yesterday, it looks like it is going to be good. I'm working Saturday but if you are going to be around after 5 I'll call past and do what I can until dark and I'll be happy to help out on other days as well. I think CORC and every one involved have done a great job getting this site up, looking forward to it coming together.

Default Digging this sunday, 2:30 till 6:30

Next build day 2:30 till 6:30 (ish) on Sunday. Chains will be down to get some runs in. Want to cut in the lips and get the first 2 jumps in the big line running well. Also plan on bedding down the pump track, so riders will be needed.

Drew

Hey whats happening with these jumps? I drive past them everyday and for ages they have been fenced off so no one can ride them. They look all weathered and in need for some TLC. Im still keen to hit them up since they are could be my local. Any news?

We run build days most weekends. They will remain fenced off until Parks Conservation and Lands give us the sign off for them to be open to the public. Best chance to ride is to come along on one of the dig days. There's a facebook page for the Gungahlin Dirt Jumps. if you're on FB, that's definitely the easiest way to stay in touch with what's happening.

The intermediate line is basically finished and the smaller of the advanced lines too. A bit of work still to complete on the beginner set, but one day with 6 or so folks would see that bit finished. Minor tweaking on the pump track.

The main work will be on getting the big line working well. once that's done and PC&L are happy it'll be time to get rid of the fence (which hasn't kept anyone out anyhow)

Either open the jumps or bulldoze them.

The time taken since the heavy machinery finished must be an embarassment for CORC, Rotary Club and all others involved.

Dirt requires constant maintance - look at the condition of the Qbn jumps. If you can't even get these jumps opened then you won't have a hope in maintaining them.

PS- any business case that depends on volenteers is massively flawed.
    Never brake