Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Shimano XT M785 Brake Pads - Contamination Problems

Did some random google fu stuff ... complete off the wall idea but.... the Ice Tech rotors have a different construction technique and make up to nearly? all other rotors ? (Caution maybe talking out of my arse and reading too much shimano hype web sites) any chance its a dodgy rotor? they are meant to have an aluminum core maybe its not layered properly? any chance of trying a new rotor for a while?

Just random thought
    How can you DEFINE your limit if you don't FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Minlak View Post
    Did some random google fu stuff ... complete off the wall idea but.... the Ice Tech rotors have a different construction technique and make up to nearly? all other rotors ? (Caution maybe talking out of my arse and reading too much shimano hype web sites) any chance its a dodgy rotor? they are meant to have an aluminum core maybe its not layered properly? any chance of trying a new rotor for a while?

Just random thought
    You ate correct about the rotor, it's is a sandwich with aluminum in the middle and steel on the outside. It's purpose is to dissipate heat faster. I doubt it's dodgy though as I'm loosing power in the front aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by pinned---> View Post
    Omg I would suck a fart out of her bum hole.

Well i'm fresh outta ideas now mine work great even after an absent minded less then perfect cable shortening :) ... sorry dont have the right answer :( good luck hope it gets sorted soon....
    How can you DEFINE your limit if you don't FAIL?

What do you clean your bike with?

Quote Originally Posted by muvro View Post
    What do you clean your bike with?
    Muc off...

Bugga, I was hoping you were going to say car wash or something with silicone in it.

Could it possibly be cleaning the chain&cassette with the brush then going over the disc or flicking degreaser onto the disc or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by muvro View Post
    Bugga, I was hoping you were going to say car wash or something with silicone in it.

Could it possibly be cleaning the chain&cassette with the brush then going over the disc or flicking degreaser onto the disc or something like that.
    I don't think so.
    Anyone have problems with pad quality??

I would go with the KISS approach and do less maintenance on the bike for a while and see if that helps - you shouldn't need to rebuild the bike after every ride.

Basically isopropyl the rotors, put new pads and don't fix anything that aint broken. Don't put any other fluid near the brakes, don't touch them or any other part of the bike and do a few rides.

I was doing a race once and 20mins before heading to the starting line 'team support' degreased the chain (the bike had been completely rebuilt 2 weeks prior and was perfect) pads contaminated instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKL View Post
    I would go with the KISS approach and do less maintenance on the bike for a while and see if that helps - you shouldn't need to rebuild the bike after every ride.

Basically isopropyl the rotors, put new pads and don't fix anything that aint broken. Don't put any other fluid near the brakes, don't touch them or any other part of the bike and do a few rides.

I was doing a race once and 20mins before heading to the starting line 'team support' degreased the chain (the bike had been completely rebuilt 2 weeks prior and was perfect) pads contaminated instantly.
    I think this might have to be my solution if nobody else is having pad issues with this particular brake.

My next issue is that Shimano Australia have run out of the Ice Tech pads

I've heard rumours of the Ice-tec pads being easily contaminated however haven't had any issues with mine. Less maintenance would be my only suggestion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast