Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the resoning.

Banned

Default What is the resoning.

Why is it not important or what is the logic behind not posting the bike's serial number here on Rotorburn, when a bike is stolen?

Nothing identifies a stolen bike like the bike's serial number. Being forewarned, as the potential buyer, when a stolen bike is offered, might lead to an owner recovering their bike and the thieves being apprehended.

Or is the sale of new bikes to the public such a lucrative business, that posting the serial numbers interferes with the LBS profits? ... similar to how the car companies don't want to stamp automotive parts and car panels with serial numbers because it is so lucrative not to?

Why isn't a space for the serial number included in the template?

Warren.
    Last edited by WildWassa; 22-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.

You're right, its definitely a conspiracy masterminded by the Australian cycling industry moguls, with help from the cia.

It certainly has nothing to do with the idea that some unscrupulous individual could read the serial number and description on here, and go try and claim it as their own.
    Shayne

"I'm drinking boob scotch!"
    B.L.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    It certainly has nothing to do with the idea that some unscrupulous individual could read the serial number and description on here, and go try and claim it as their own.
    Cheers Mate top reply. I love your cynical response.

Well, with little to no stolen bikes being recovered, how could it get any worse than it is? Obviously you have a dim view of most of the members of Rotorburn and lurking readers doing the honest thing towards our fellow cyclists. Unless you are one of the low-life thieves scared of getting caught, your reply says a lot?

So a thief looses a bike to another thief, so what? The bikes are gone anyway. I've enough faith in we Australians that the bike recoveries would improve ... something has to and needs to change, concerning recoveries. The cops aren't interested. This could be a situation where a bike wouldn't be handed back until the cops have been notified. The cops will know if it is a reported stolen bike, or take down a rego number or address of the seller, if the flagged serial number is spotted.

Obviously Wombat you haven't heard of receipts and bills of sale to prove ownership? Back in your hole, come back when you've something intelligent to say, OK?

Warren.
    Last edited by WildWassa; 22-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Given that if I was to buy a bike from a Farkineer I would
    1. probably know a fair bit of the bikes history prior to it being up for sale,
    2. Would likely know of the seller and have an idea of their character through their efforts on here,
    I think I would have a fairly good idea that the bike was legit.

This is not ebay.

I have had a couple of bikes stolen, 1 very unique, I reckon if it came up here for sale someone would contact me without needing serial number details.
    Last edited by John U; 22-03-2012 at 02:19 PM.

When i too ownership of my latest bike (new) i photographed it from head to toe, including the serial number.

If it were to be ever stolen i would happily post the serial number up on rotorburn as i believe it is not the kind of place a bike thief would visit too often.

Ps; Be very careful the line you walk on insulting Wombat as he carries the almighty BAN STICK and may feel inclined to deliver some of its wrath should certain members become unruly...

Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post

Ps; Be very careful the line you walk on insulting Wombat as he carries the almighty BAN STICK and may feel inclined to deliver some of its wrath should certain members become unruly...
    And that was the last we saw of WildWassa. He returned today with a new username of Wild Wassa and a post count of 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big JD View Post
    imagine seeing Ritchie Porte embedded in the rear of a horse with just his legs sticking out - he would be about the size and shape of a well hung horse

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    You're right, its definitely a conspiracy masterminded by the Australian cycling industry moguls, with help from the cia.

Well said,
    as a matter of fact I was going down this road just this week. Police will not give you a #serial for that reason......among others.

Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post
    TBH wombat sort of deserved it & if he banned Wassa for that then maybe he should not be a mod. He could have just answered the question without the attitude.

Wassa I have to correct you with something, car companies dont stamp all the panels because it costs them money. They save cash where they can. Where they are spending their money on theft prevention is in shuttung down electronics and even going so far as to matching control modules so they wont work in other cars so the parts are not interchangeable. They electronically sign the vehicles to a point (high end vehicles anyway, not so much you average car).

Might be wrong but Id guess people don't even both checking their serial number?
    I would suspect if a bike was stolen the number may be removed, obvious warning sign though.

I think most people do plenty of research into a bike before buying to know if something is fishy or not, as for spotting a bike on the street stolen I guess it would be difficult or suspicious if you are trying to view the serial number given its location.

I think its time for me to go take some photos of my bike with its number. :)
    My grandfather has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    And that was the last we saw of WildWassa. He returned today with a new username of Wild Wassa and a post count of 1.
    I think you will find the Mods are scared of Wassa :)
    When you drink the water, remember those that dug the well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast