Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: Wheel Truing Stand

Default Wheel Truing Stand

okay so i started doing my own repairs with my bikes a few months ago, and so far its going fine. but the one thing that i cant do is building wheels. i would be able to do it with a wheel truing stand but one of those go for about $200-$300 (correct me if im wrong) and i dont have the money to spend on that, especially when im not going to be using it very much. so i was wondering if i could rig something up that would serve the same purpose that a wheel truing stand does, or better yet if anyone has made one themselves or have seen a design for one. im fairly good and welding and ive got the gear to weld aluminium.
    i hope that all makes sense. i would love some feed back on ideas or designs or even if youve found a cheap truing stand.
    cheer :)

You can get a $50 stand on eBay, I used one of these for a couple of years. You can also just use your bike frame with a couple of cable ties as guides. I've done emergency wheel builds at races this way. And you can dish the wheel with a couple of short glasses and a stack of coins on a table. Lay the wheel flat on the table with the rim resting on the upturned glasses. Stack the coins under the hub until they nearly touch the hub. Then flip the wheel over and note the difference in the height of the end of the hub off the table by reference to the stack of coins. Adjust the dish as necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizz
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

http://www.ccomtb.com.au

Follow us on Facebook: Central Coast Ourimbah MTB

That is genius.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by rabatt View Post
    nat for leader of the world!
    You heard it here first

Roger Musson's book has all you need, i think it cost about $15 to download. Money very well spent.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    You can get a $50 stand on eBay, I used one of these for a couple of years. You can also just use your bike frame with a couple of cable ties as guides. I've done emergency wheel builds at races this way. And you can dish the wheel with a couple of short glasses and a stack of coins on a table. Lay the wheel flat on the table with the rim resting on the upturned glasses. Stack the coins under the hub until they nearly touch the hub. Then flip the wheel over and note the difference in the height of the end of the hub off the table by reference to the stack of coins. Adjust the dish as necessary.
    youve got some really good ideas there, i really like the dishing one. thanks mate, thats a big help :)

Quote Originally Posted by steve24 View Post
    Roger Musson's book has all you need, i think it cost about $15 to download. Money very well spent.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
    +1 for Roger. He also has plans for truing stands, a number of other tools and a pretty good spoke calculator.

This is how I straighten my wheels without having to go to a shop and pay them to do it.
    Now it may just look dumb, but it works for getting a perfect circle.
    You basically drill a whole the size of your skewer through the desk, and then another on the outside of the rim to put a pencil or something straight in it. And then every time your wheel touches the pencil, you tighten the spokes next to the pencil.

As for getting it from being buckled and going side to side. I just put the wheels on my bike, and then put a cable tie on my forks or chain stay and then cut it when it's touching the rim (the rim has to be centred otherwise your wheel will be off-set). Then every time it hits the cable tie, you just tighten the spokes on the other side because it's pulling it away from the cable tie.

This is my retarded way to do it. But I'm a tight arse, and didn't want to pay someone else to do it.
    Even if you stuff it up, you can still take it to a bike shop. Nothing wrong with trying first! :)

549765_10150704639079486_718639485_9068336_2059935956_n.jpg