Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: Trek Fuel EX 8 Vs Ex 9

Question Trek Fuel EX 8 Vs Ex 9

Hello,
    I have a question for all you RB's because you give good advice, So my question is.... Is a 2012 fuel ex 9 worth the 1000 clams more than the 2012 fuel ex 8? What parts are worth the Dollars/Best value/ if I look to upgrade in the future on the ex 8? And yes I am utterly convinced on the Trek Fuel Ex.
    I didn't want to start a new thread but I could find no other post relavent to my question. All mountain rules :)

Cheers Brendan
    EDIT:
    Hers the Link to the 8 http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes...ex/fuel_ex_8/#
    And to the 9... http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes...ex/fuel_ex_9/#

Double Edit: I just came across this..... http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/compare
    Last edited by brenda and his bikes; 29-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Come on all you RBers use your noggin and help. Please.

Maybe change your thread title to Fuel Ex9 or Ex8? and provide some spec details of each.

You will probably get a few more bites that way.
    Last edited by John U; 28-03-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

So you want me to spend 10 minutes finding the relevant specs of each bike and then bother to write you an answer? Do I have to do ALL the work to help you?

Provide us with the info and you might get some decent responses!

Is it worth it? Yes and no. The extra money is mainly going into the Fork (Kashima coating, lock out, Tapered steerer etc) and the upgrade of the drive train (XT and XTR vs SLX and XT) but the wheels are better on the Ex9 too.

To be honest there is a noticeable difference between XTR and XT but SLX and XT are pretty comparable IMO so you can save money in that regard and stick with the SLX. The rear suspension although not identical is pretty close so you could get away with the lower spec there too. The frames are identical so if you're looking to upgrade later if you grab the Ex 8 you certainly can.

I think it boils down to what you can afford and what you can justify. If you can pony up the extra cash and dont mind spending it do it. You'll be paying for higher performance gear that in theory will make the riding more fun and components that should last longer. However if money is tight or you arent sure you really need all the bells and whistles the Ex8 is a great bike with a strong spec.

Heres a spec comparison too:

http://www.mymountain.com.au/p/10516...pril-23rd.html

http://www.mymountain.com.au/p/10521...pril-23rd.html
    Who with the what now?

Default Sorry

Sorry for my bad posting skills. :(
    Here is the spec lists for both bikes.....

The spec for the 8:

Colours
    Matte Black
    Matte Ti
    Frame
    Alpha Platinum Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal front derailleur cable routing, magnesium EVO Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
    Front suspension
    Fox 32 Float RL, Trek DRCV air spring, lockout, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, 120mm travel, tuned by Trek in California
    Rear suspension
    Fox Performance Series Float RP-2 w/DRCV, ProPedal, rebound; 7.25x2.0", tuned by Trek in California
    Sizes
    15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5"
    Wheels
    Bontrager 15mm alloy front hub, Shimano M525 alloy rear hub; Bontrager Duster Disc 32-hole rims, Tubeless Ready
    Tyres
    Bontrager XR4 Expert, 26x2.2"
    Shifters
    Shimano SLX M660-10, 10 speed
    Front derailleur
    Shimano SLX
    Rear derailleur
    Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow
    Crank
    Shimano M552, 42/32/24
    Cassette
    Shimano HG62-10 11-36, 10 speed
    Pedals
    n/a
    Saddle
    Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
    Seatpost
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
    Handlebar
    Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem
    Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm
    Headset
    FSA NO.57E, E2, ACB sealed bearings
    Brakeset
    Shimano SLX M666 hydraulic disc brakes
    Grips
    Bontrager Race Lite, single lock-on
    Extras
    Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump

And for the 9:
    Colours
    Raw Tint Dark
    Frame
    Alpha Platinum Aluminum w/ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal front derailleur cable routing, magnesium EVO Link, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm travel
    Front suspension
    Fox 32 Float FIT RLC, Trek DRCV air spring, Kashima coat, compression, lockout, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, 120mm travel, tuned by Trek in California
    Rear suspension
    Fox Performance Series Float RP-3 w/DRCV, Boost Valve, 3-position Climb-Ride-Descend ProPedal, rebound; 7.25x2.0", tuned by Trek in California
    Sizes
    15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5"
    Wheels
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite TLR Disc wheel system, 15mm front hub, 142x12mm rear hub, 28 hole, Tubeless Ready
    Tyres
    Bontrager XR4 Team, 26x2.2"
    Shifters
    Shimano Deore XT M780, 10 speed
    Front derailleur
    Shimano Deore XT
    Rear derailleur
    Shimano XTR M980 Shadow
    Crank
    Shimano Deore XT M780, 42/32/24
    Cassette
    Shimano Deore XT M771-10 11-36, 10 speed
    Pedals
    n/a
    Saddle
    Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
    Seatpost
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
    Handlebar
    Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem
    Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm
    Headset
    FSA NO.57E, E2, ACB sealed bearings
    Brakeset
    Shimano M785 hydraulic disc brakes
    Grips
    Bontrager Race Lite, single lock-on
    Extras
    Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump

I think for an extra grand the general upgrade from SLX to XT would be good value for money.

From my experience I guess that you'll get longer lifespan out of the XT components, and replacement parts will be available for higher specced items (XT) for longer than they will for lower specced items (SLX).

This is not taking into account performance improvement of XT over SLX, which you will probably find some, if not all, of the XT components will perform better than their XT counterparts.

More tuneable shocks.

Then there is the bling factor.

It adds up in the end.

Default 8

I've got a 2010 EX8 that I've updated with a Revelation u-turn fork, wider bars (710 vs 650), 65 mm stem, Reverb seat post and 2x9 SLX cranks (22, 36). I love it, it's now a 'ride everywhere' machine (if it wasn't before). I've ridden it at Rotorua, Mt Buller, loads of local trails and in cross country and all mountain/super D races.

Personally I don't see anything on the 9 that will buy you $1000 more riding fun than on the 8. The RP2 DRCV shock is fine, in fact it's fantastic.

You'll have a ball on either.
    Last edited by Chapstik; 29-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Default FIT vs Open Bath

I have another question relating to the Fuels. Is the FIT technology that much better than the Open bath damping? Hoping that you guys can give me an answer to my problems.