Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: 2012 Felt F75 OR 2012 Felt F6

Default 2012 Felt F75 OR 2012 Felt F6

Hey guys, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't find a more suitable area to post. (Admin's feel free to move post if in incorrect location)
    I recently had my bike stolen (2009 Felt F85) and while I am currently doing all I can to find it, it was insured and I will be needing a new bike as soon as possible. I have contacts with Felt bikes importer so I can get bikes at cost price so what I'm thinking of doing is taking a monetary pay out from the insurance company and buying straight from the importer. For the value of the old bike I have either 2 bikes in my price range. Either a 2012 Felt F55 or a 2012 Felt F6. I have been out of biking for a while and while I still understand how Shimano's group sets scale I never became very knowledgeable about the SRAM road gear.
    The Felt F55 has an aluminium frame and Shimano Ultegra group set.
    The Felt F6 has SRAM APEX groupset and full carbon frame.
    The main thing I am wondering about is, is a low quality carbon frame going to be better than a high quality aluminium one ?

Can you guys have a look at these 2 bikes and tell me what you think would be the better one overall and why?

F6 - http://www.feltbicycles.com/Australi...Series/F6.aspx
    F55 - http://www.feltbicycles.com/Australi...eries/F55.aspx

Kind regards, Matthew Grosser.
    Friends dont let friends ride Mavic CXP 22's.

Urgh, I meant FELT F6 vs F55 not F75 and I can't change the title unfortunately :(

I would be very tempted to go the F55, especially if the ride quality was comparable. Bugger all difference in weight (with the F55 being lighter) but having a heavier frame than the F6, interestingly the F55 seems to have an all carbon fork versus a carbon legged fork on the F6 unless I read it wrong? The F55 has much better components and wheels, the CXP-22 rims are ok but I would much rather have Fulcrum hubs than generic Felt branded ones. I don't see the F6 as being a frame to be upgraded overtime, more likely to be replaced by new when the time comes and as such would rather roll with Ultegra and the Fulcrum wheels.

Have a ride of both and see what you prefer but I know where I would be putting my money

Unfortunately I cannot ride either as I will be getting it straight from the importer and as such they do not assemble the bikes there. I had a look around the LBS of Adelaide today and depending on how I can stretch my budget I found a few more for the list.

1.) 2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905 - $1999

2.) 2012 Felt F5 $1999

3.) 2012 Giant TCR Adv 3 - $1999

4.) 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert $2,125

Spec lists of the bikes you mentioned would be helpful for comparison.

Have you thought about second hand? You can get a lot of bike for around $2000 now days

hey mate,

we looked at the tarmac expert sl3 and were really impressed. Maybe worth a closer look if you can get it for those bucks. Thats the Ultegra spec one isnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by g-fish View Post
    What I'm sure everyone can agree on is 16k can buy a lot of blow and hookers.. And that's going to be a lot more fun than riding a trek.

Quote Originally Posted by RB 24 View Post
    hey mate,

we looked at the tarmac expert sl3 and were really impressed. Maybe worth a closer look if you can get it for those bucks. Thats the Ultegra spec one isnt it?
    I initially thought it was the SL3 but turns out its the "comp", sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco_Designs View Post
    Spec lists of the bikes you mentioned would be helpful for comparison.

Have you thought about second hand? You can get a lot of bike for around $2000 now days
    I considered second hand but I just don't know enough about a bikes to be able to judge whats a good price for what and there's always that nice thought of knowing this is MY bike and no one else has done it wrong haha.

I thought about posting the specs directly on here but it would be massive so I'll just provide direct links to each bikes instead so its neater :)

http://www.merida.com.au/2012-bikes/...ra-evo-905.htm

http://www.feltbicycles.com/Australi...Series/F5.aspx

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/....3/9671/50837/

http://www.specialized.com/au/gb/bc/...01&scname=Road (turns out it was the "comp" model not the SL3 unfortunately).

I actually ended up getting a brand new super old stock 2006 Felt F55 direct from the importer for $900. Specs are:

Bicycle Type - Road race & triathlon
    MSRP (new) - $2,099.99 ($USD back in 2006)
    Weight - I'm hearing around 17.5lbs or 7.93kg
    Size - 58cm
    Colors - Matte Black

Components:
    Brakeset - Aluminum dual pivot brakes (front is 2011 Shimano 105), Shimano Dura-Ace Dual Control levers
    Shift Levers - Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Dura-Ace
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Dura-Ace
    Crankset - Shimano Ultegra
    Pedals - Shimano 105 (2012 model, black)
    Bottom Bracket - Shimao Ultegra
    BB Shell Width - Unspecified
    Rear Cogs - 10-speed, 11 - 23 teeth
    Chain - Shimano
    Seatpost - Felt Carbon Monocoque, 27.2mm diameter
    Saddle - Felt Race-Lite
    Handlebar - Felt aluminium
    Handlebar Stem - Felt ST-22
    Headset - 1 1/8" Aheadset Integrated

Wheels
    Hubs - Mavic Aksium Race
    Rims - Mavic Aksium Race
    Tires - 700 x 23C Vittoria Rubino Slick
    Spoke Brand - Mavic, bladed
    Spoke Nipples - Unspecified

Just got a few questions which I'm finding hard to answer considering how old the bike already is.
    1.) How does this bike spec wise compare to the 2012 F5 which i was looking at for more than twice as much?
    2.) Is 2006 Dura-Ace even as good as 2012 105 ?
    3.) How do Mavic Aksiums compare to Mavic CXP 22's? and are 2006 Mavic Aksiums the same as 2012 ones?
    4.) When sprinting hard from a stop light I feel like there is noticeably less flex in the rear end than my old bike (2009 Felt F85, full aluminium frame with Mavic CXP 22's). I weigh 87kg so I'm not exactly lightweight. Would this be from the carbon rear of the frame or the rims or a combination?
    Thanks guys ! I wish my mates were into bikes so i could bounce my ideas off them too ! haha.