Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: What site?

Default What site?

The first time Australia is hosting a World Trials round has finally come and it is in Maldon VIC. I'm heading down to it from the Hunter Valley NSW with my trusty Intense, a mate and his new Commencal looking to do some AM riding on the way. Just got myself an Edge 500 so I could get some GPS points to follow. So far no good.

Just wondering what, or if any of you guys upload your rides and what to? Do you use garmin connect, mapmyride, ridewithgps etc? I've lost too many hours and megabytes with nothing to show for it. Any tips, websites, search ideas or even trails to do? Cheers.

morgs

After a few years stuffing around with different apps I've just settled on Garmin connect for most of my logging and searching for traces. You can get gps files from other sources, but the ease of using a Garmin and Connect is pretty nice. And there's more and more data being logged every day, all over the world, so once you get the hang of searching it's a pretty handy research tool.

Strava is the best cycling app by far, I can't recommend it enough.

+1 for strava

Thanks for the replies. Don't know about strava, it wont give you anything unless you sign up etc. Not that interested in having to upgrade my computer and internet to run an online program for my pushbike gps (bad enough running connect). I'm just using garmin training centre at the moment. CPU and internet friendly

Yeah, still need to learn how to search on connect. Not having much luck!

Have any of you followed a gpx file? Are they worth it or should I just print off a map?

I've roughly got ourimbah, appin, bowral, welby, williams hill, beechworth, mt major then Maldon (sorry bout spelling etc) to get there then a truck load on the way back like mt lofty, mt buller, lake mountain, falls creek, manna park, tathra, mogo, mc phails etc. Still sorting out everything and seeing what is worth including. Argh, square eyes researching!

Just did over 2500 klm's to the Aussie world trial round and called into 7 differrent tracks on the way. An awesome trip!

Tried strava and connect. Rubbish! Useless for new areas. Finding and following a course is shite! Save your money and buy a node or rox or similar and then print off a map.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to return the favour if any of you are up this way chasing some AM rides. Cheers.