Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: What do you guys think about this build up im doing (Im new to the DH so give tips)

Question What do you guys think about this build up im doing (Im new to the DH so give tips)

Hey guys, what do you think of this bike im putting together?

Its a Norco Atomik frame (2009) custom painted Hot Rod red. - Almost finished just have to complete derailler/gearing system

Gear running (Nothing fancy - yet):
    - Deore set
    - Hayes Brakes
    - Husselfelt Cranks + Handle bar
    - Truativ headset 1-1/8 size reducer steerer
    - Rock shock Boxxer Teams 2005' (oldy but goodie)
    - Tyre Maxis DH 2.6

Bit more information on the build would be good to see what you got going. Looks great for a newbie.
    First up get a direct mount stem, I would probably also grab some lower rise bars and a flat crown, just get the front end a bit lower and more aggressive position.
    05 boxxers should have come with direct mount holes.

Is this the model that has the adjustable Geo i.e slacker HA and lower position available? I think it is.
    I would put it in the low and slack position and then make the following changes.
    1.Direct mount stem as already noted.
    2.A lower rise bar will help with a more aggressive riding position and should aid front end grip while keeping geo the same (while doing this get your bar width ideal as well.
    3.A flat crown will lower the bike ever so slightly and get the front end down lower again which will aid with a more aggressive position however the HA will become bout 0.5-1 degree steeper. If it is the model I think it is, in the slack position you should still end up with a HA of about 64.5 which is plenty slack for now.

Make sure you set up the bar height for what you feel is right, it is a personal thing.

Apart from that just take the time to read and learn about suspensions set up and take the time to do so. suspension is the difference between a average bike and a incredible bike, however poorly set up suspension can also destroy the bikes ride so make sure you adjust one setting at a time and record them on paper It might take a lot of ready and a few days of testing and setting up before you get it right but you will thank yourself.
    Last edited by driftking; 17-04-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    My grandfather has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo

Question Question

Hi mate,

This is my newer rotorburn account so I will delete my McRae200008 account shortly.

Thankyou so much for all the tips and stuff very helpful! I have ordered FSA bars 18 degree x 660 long, my currents are 35degree so I'm hoping tht will do :)

With the flat crown for boxxer shocks do you know any place that sells th cheap? And so I'd be buying flat crown 1-1/8 stweerer crown measurement and then 3.2 stanchion width holders because that what my fork is....

Also with slack angle I don't really get what you mean is that just the angle of the frame or is there something you can adjust?

Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by driftking View Post
    Bit more information on the build would be good to see what you got going. Looks great for a newbie.
    First up get a direct mount stem, I would probably also grab some lower rise bars and a flat crown, just get the front end a bit lower and more aggressive position.
    05 boxxers should have come with direct mount holes.

Is this the model that has the adjustable Geo i.e slacker HA and lower position available? I think it is.
    I would put it in the low and slack position and then make the following changes.
    1.Direct mount stem as already noted.
    2.A lower rise bar will help with a more aggressive riding position and should aid front end grip while keeping geo the same (while doing this get your bar width ideal as well.
    3.A flat crown will lower the bike ever so slightly and get the front end down lower again which will aid with a more aggressive position however the HA will become bout 0.5-1 degree steeper. If it is the model I think it is, in the slack position you should still end up with a HA of about 64.5 which is plenty slack for now.

Make sure you set up the bar height for what you feel is right, it is a personal thing.

Apart from that just take the time to read and learn about suspensions set up and take the time to do so. suspension is the difference between a average bike and a incredible bike, however poorly set up suspension can also destroy the bikes ride so make sure you adjust one setting at a time and record them on paper It might take a lot of ready and a few days of testing and setting up before you get it right but you will thank yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McRae View Post
    Hi mate,

This is my newer rotorburn account so I will delete my McRae200008 account shortly.

Thankyou so much for all the tips and stuff very helpful! I have ordered FSA bars 18 degree x 660 long, my currents are 35degree so I'm hoping tht will do :)

With the flat crown for boxxer shocks do you know any place that sells th cheap? And so I'd be buying flat crown 1-1/8 stweerer crown measurement and then 3.2 stanchion width holders because that what my fork is....

Also with slack angle I don't really get what you mean is that just the angle of the frame or is there something you can adjust?

Cheers mate
    definitely look at getting a direct mount stem as well they are much better.
    18rise sounds much better than the current 35 good choice, 660 might be a tight I would aim for at least a 720mm wide bar.But if the order has already gone through just go with the 660 and see how you go.
    I have not used boxxers prior to my current ride and they already came with the flat crowns so Im not confident enough to say exactly what size you need, hopefully someone else will jump on here and know or just tell the bike shop or email the online store and tell them you have 05 boxxers and you want to know what flat crown you need and if they have them in stock.

Sorry with the slack angle I was referring to the Head angle of the bike, that is the angle that the fork sits out from the bike. Going on the 09 geometry chart the norco can be changed between a lower and higher setting, the lower setting giving a slacker HA and a slightly lower bottom bracket.
    The benefits of the lower bottom bracket is that the bike has a lower center of gravity and it will help keep your weight lower and the bike will feel more stable and corner better. Going too low can mean you hit pedals when pedaling but the norco even in its low setting isn't considered low so no worries there and would highly suggest using the lower setting.
    with that setting as mentioned you get a slacker head angle, a slacker head angle improves stability and helps when riding high speed and steep tracks, the geometry chart states the head angle will be about 63.5 i think, this is fairly slack i would dare say too slack for most of Australian tracks however with a flat crown it will bring this angle back to about 64-64.5 which is an ideal spot. A slacker angle gives you a little more out front of the bike which also help reduce over the bars situation (although minor). A slacker angle also absorbs bumps better as the direction of force is better on the fork.

Hopefully you understood all that, if you need me to elaborate on anything just let me know.
    My grandfather has the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo