Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: converting hope hub to 12 x 142

I don't think it is any wider as the Yeti's have have the CHIP's conversion system.

Allows you to change the dropouts to suite either QR or Throu.

Axle may be wider but hub possibly the same size.

I'm a little scared to ask, for fear of incurring the wrath of the tech heads after the previous posts, but......

I have a pro 2 evo rear hub that currently runs a 135 qr and am waiting for the Hope X12 conversion to make it adaptable for my Slayer which uses the 142 x 12 sized rear hub. Will I need to swap axles or is it just the end caps??
    When you drink the water, remember those that dug the well.

Quote Originally Posted by cramhobart View Post
    compared to conventional through-axle dropouts / through-axles:
    less weight
    clearly user friendlier, quicker fitting and removal of rear wheel
    for the first time a toe and camber adjustment of the rear wheel is possible. For this, the thread insert in the right dropout is replaced by an excentrical thread insert which can then be adjusted to the desired position
    Maximum lateral stability and stiffness thanks to the cone which achieves a play-free connection in axial as well as radial direction

Sorry I should have specified that I was talking 135x10 through axle not quick release.
    While I don't doubt your sources :) an independent opinion (as opposed to manufacturers marketing) is always worth a look:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/12x142-explained.html

The goal of the 12 x 142 is not to make a stiffer rear end, although it will be inherently stiffer than the equally convenient 135 quick release system that we're all used to, but to combine the best of both a quick release and a thru-axle design. Yes, we can all manage to install a thru-axle rear wheel on our current bikes without much hassle, but after playing with the new 12 x 142 layout I can honestly admit that it was even more effortless to use. The system's auto wheel centering feature meant that I didn't have to flip the bike over or struggle to line up the hub opening with the axle before pushing it through - just drop the wheel in and slid the axle home. I'm not saying that I'm all for it, but I think it's important to remember that a bike is the sum of it's parts and that if bikes never evolved, even if only in small steps that we're seeing now, we'd still all be using threaded loose ball headsets and cup and cone bottom brackets on our bikes. When it comes down to it, no one needs the new 12 x 142 axle size, but there are benefits to it that are worth looking at.
    Under the assumption that you referred to QR skewer. I retract the codswallop unreservedly.
    Five Five Nine

Evo- just the end caps. Pair of pliers should pop them off, then push the replacements onto the end of the axle. Just keep an eye on which side is black, which is silver when you swap them.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcoota View Post
    Evo- just the end caps. Pair of pliers should pop them off, then push the replacements onto the end of the axle. Just keep an eye on which side is black, which is silver when you swap them.
    I knew it......

I have already knocked the axle out to replace the bearings. What is the orientation of the black and silver cups??
    When you drink the water, remember those that dug the well.

What the chance that someone here in Perth has one of these kits that they arn't rushing to use.

Ordered mine from CRC and whilst on the packing list its not in the box. Need it for long weekend for my new AM and Margaret River.

I expect they will do regular shipping and the replacement part won't get here in time.

I've got a pro2 142 kit sitting around, not for the evo hub, and not in WA

Pretty sure it's silver on the cassette side, black on rotor side, will check tomorrow for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12