Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD

Thread: Broken - Crank Brothers iodine hub!

Default Broken - Crank Brothers iodine hub!

Hi Guys

After some advice, on Saturday I was riding around on my new iodine wheels messing about and was pedaling up a hill when I heard a loud crunch from my rear wheel, this resulted in a instant loss of power and I thought that I had broken a chain (not uncommon for me).

Unfortunately I discovered that the chain was intact and the hub itself was the problem, fearing the worst I pulled the hub apart thinking that i may have stripped the ratchet within the hub body itself.

What I discovered eventually was the free hub (the pawls to be exact) and the carrier that they sit in had broken away from the freehub itself, meaning that with any input of power the cassette itself spun in the hub and did not provide any power at all.

My question is has anyone had a problem similar to this before and can I fix it? I cannot seem to find replacement freehub bodies for sale anywhere and am hoping that this is the easiest solution. Otherwise as they appear to be two separate items (the freehub and the ratchet mechanism attached to it) can i remove and replace the ratchet assembly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam
    Sucessful trades with :-
    Airborne Unit, Blond kid on Morphine *3, Daver, -DAvo, Bryce, norcohavoc, Acidman, Ripping Dragon, h-foundation, Foes racing, TeamShore03, Bikenerd

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
    Hi Guys

my new iodine wheels
    wheel warranty?

Hi Guys

After some advice, on Saturday I was riding around on my new iodine wheels messing about and was pedaling up a hill when I heard a loud crunch from my rear wheel, this resulted in a instant loss of power and I thought that I had broken a chain (not uncommon for me).

Unfortunately I discovered that the chain was intact and the hub itself was the problem, fearing the worst I pulled the hub apart thinking that i may have stripped the ratchet within the hub body itself.

What I discovered eventually was the free hub (the pawls to be exact) and the carrier that they sit in had broken away from the freehub itself, meaning that with any input of power the cassette itself spun in the hub and did not provide any power at all.

My question is has anyone had a problem similar to this before and can I fix it? I cannot seem to find replacement freehub bodies for sale anywhere and am hoping that this is the easiest solution. Otherwise as they appear to be two separate items (the freehub and the ratchet mechanism attached to it) can i remove and replace the ratchet assembly?

Adam
    If they are a new wheelset surely it would be warranty claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by harmonix1234 View Post
    Apparently if you put Rennies sweat in your Hadley or Hope hubs they become so quiet that they actually absorb ambient noise.

Unfortunately not new, sorry forgot to mention that.
    Airborne Unit, Blond kid on Morphine *3, Daver, -DAvo, Bryce, norcohavoc, Acidman, Ripping Dragon, h-foundation, Foes racing, TeamShore03, Bikenerd

Hi Guys

Adam
    Google it, very common problem and reflective of the reliability of much of Crank Bros products (but they sure do look good).

If they are new why would you even contemplate the repair yourself - warranty job.
    Last edited by redbruce; 23-10-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    A life behind bars.

The freehub system has a history of failing. There has been a newer version released (although at least 2 years ago) with more beefed up internals. The entire hub does come apart and is meant to, so that is not part of the problem. I had this happen and it was repaired on warranty as the wheel was meant to have the newer guts and didn't, but once since the spring holding the pawls in place broke causing the freehub to fail. The solution was simply using an old fork seal spring to replace the broken one.
    Last edited by Ridenparadise; 23-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Ah Google

I should have thought of that thanks, I did not realize that it was such a common problem, Can anyone advise me where I can buy a replacment item if they are not under warrenty? And an approximate price?

Thanks for the help guys has been great advice.

Yup a design flaw with the first generation CB wheels. Shortly after their release CB updated the hubs (freehub body) and the second gen freehubs are fine. Any LBS should be able to get one for you as Jet Black are the distributors and nearly everyone deals with Jet Black. No idea on price sorry.
    Yay! I found out how to put something in my sig!