Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bike Advice: Scott Voltage Fr 720

Default New Bike Advice: Scott Voltage Fr 720

I'm looking to replace my small 2005 Kona Stinky, with a large Scott Voltage FR 720.

The bike will be used for downhill racing and shuttle days as well as a bit of burly trail riding, which is what I do on the Kona

The Kona is a solid 150mm travel frame, with Fox 40s, that I usually run at 7" because 8" doesn't corner well on that bike.
    I like the Kona a lot, but it's a Small and I'm 190cm

I like the idea of the 380 forks and 170/190 adjustable travel
    I will probably fit 11-36 10 speed gears straight away

There doesn't seem to be many owner reviews out there, just the commercial stuff.
    Does anyone have any pros/cons for the current Scott Voltage?
    Last edited by andrew9; 10-01-2017 at 12:32 AM.

I don't own one, but was looking at them quite closely recently. I don't like the way the shock is positioned. It looks strange. Otherwise good spec for the money. They are pretty weighty for trail riding, but your doing that on a stinky anyway...so this should be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    I don't own one, but was looking at them quite closely recently. I don't like the way the shock is positioned. It looks strange. Otherwise good spec for the money. They are pretty weighty for trail riding, but your doing that on a stinky anyway...so this should be an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    I have the 140mm Univega AM I use for real trail riding with proper climbs, but there are a couple of nice downhill runs in the Adelaide hills here where you can catch the train up, go down a section, then ride a few Km's of undulating single-track with only small climbs until then dropping into another downhill run. There are also downhill tracks that have fairly gradual routes back to the top, and the Stinky climbs them just fine, quicker than pushing anyway.

I could probably get away with a Reign or Enduro type bike, but I feel they wouldn't be that much more stable/plush than my Univega to be worthwhile, or as much fun, especially when doing Downhill events

I like riding the stinky currently, and just want to replace it with something bigger and newer.

Well...the rear end on the Scott doesn't run much more travel than a reign/nomad/rune all 3 of which run a nicer suspension platform win some form of virtual pivots. Where as the Scott 4 bar likes a bit of wheel hook. Those few mm might make a bit of a difference...I'd look to make a light build dh bike - Air suspension etc, so when race day comes you still have a lot of travel.

Those train shuttles sound awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Koper25 View Post
    #26forlyfe

That was my favourite bike when I was looking for a "one bike" solution last year, but it was far over my budget that it was laughable, $7300rrp. There is a cheapish Large Process frame that was listed today though.

I had some bikes stolen and my Scott dealer is helping me out with my insurance. The Voltage was well over my budget until this incident too, now I'm just trying to check for any issues before I decide.

I also like that the voltage uses a 73mm BB and 12x135 rear axle, and is 26" compatible, so it can share most parts with my existing bikes.

Yeah they're sweet, defs a bit expensive though. I've got a 153 and I love it, can only imagine the 167 being even more fun on the descents! Good luck with the bike hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew9 View Post
    I'm looking to replace my small 2005 Kona Stinky, with a large Scott Voltage FR 720.

The bike will be used for downhill racing and shuttle days as well as a bit of burly trail riding, which is what I do on the Kona

The Kona is a solid 150mm travel frame, with Fox 40s, that I usually run at 7" because 8" doesn't corner well on that bike.
    I like the Kona a lot, but it's a Small and I'm 190cm

I like the idea of the 380 forks and 170/190 adjustable travel
    I will probably fit 11-36 10 speed gears straight away

There doesn't seem to be many owner reviews out there, just the commercial stuff.
    Does anyone have any pros/cons for the current Scott Voltage?
    Mate, l have a 2015 fr 710 medium and l am around 155cm, l think l was between s, m, so this for me gives me heaps of room so yep a large would be the way to go for you if this is what you are still interested with.
    I have only really had it set in 190mm and although l have really given it a good run in on the local DH trail, what l like is the way it feels, it behaves much like a DH bike a little more manoeuvrable and poppy, it peddles ok but it is not an enduro bike, one of these new fox shocks x2? With pro ped l think will make this bike an even more an all rounder, l changed the front ring down to a 32 and yep it has a lot of adjustablity, l steepend the dec to 65 as the bottom bracket is so very low, lower than my old v10, the v10 and the voltage have different natures, the voltage appeals to the way l ride.
    All the best with the choice Andrew.

I ordered one.
    Last edited by andrew9; 10-01-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Any advice on delivery times? (#asking for a friend...)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast