Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

Default Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

New Stumpy has a dropper post on it - TBH I've never needed this feature in the past and was skeptical but old mate at the LBS sung its praises and suggested I stick with it.

Well, I've had a play with it a few times and TBH I don't see it being much use to me and I'm considering taking it off and losing the lever off the bar, the cable and the excess baggage of the post itself.

Anyone else got a dropper they don't drop?

When my Reverb failed for the 2nd time on my Norco Sight within 6 months I thought "Screw this, I'm going to harden up and go fixed"
    So I bought a Thompson Elite post and saved a whole 300 grams or something.
    I think I lasted about 3 rides before the Reverb was repaired and reinstalled.

Along with disc brakes I think the dropper is one of the single biggest improvements in MTB tech - EVER
    It sucks balls riding without one.
    I mean would anyone willingly ever go back to using "V" brakes?

But it depends on the trails you ride, If you have a Stumpy I assume you are riding more than just a flat, casual, green graded beginner loop and that your trails have some moderate changes in elevation.
    If so I cant imagine why on earth you don't think a dropper is worth having [Unless you stay seated for every single part of your ride]
    Last edited by Jeffgre_6163; 05-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    NEVER LAST

Stick with it, it's not needed exclusively on the downs. If you were riding a pure XC bike I'd say sure, rip it off. But the stumpy deserves to have the saddle dropped so you can get rowdy on the descents!

My trails can be anything from loops of up-down dirt roads if that's what I want to do, to snotty and rocky singletrack with shortish but steep ups and downs and moderate drop-offs through dry creeks and so on.

None of which I have really struggled with on any of my bikes that didn't have droppers.

I'm not sure the V brakes vs discs is really a good analogy, TBH.

Burn the Witch I say......

How could you even think such thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    like any group there are extremist fringe elements who are willing to commit atrocities in the name of their particular skewed beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    How's get fucked sound?

Watching people descending without the seat lowered, the first thing you always notice is the poor bike technique - especially body position. Perhaps a stumpy isn't the right bike for you.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

Stick with it a little longer. I remember I had to find the right balance between always dropping Andy raising it every 10 seconds and being content to leave it at one level for a while.

The general rule is that you need to reverse your thinking a bit and leave it dropped some of the way as default and only raise it all the way up for sustained climbs.

When you get used to it, I think you will find it really helps with cornering and with letting the bike move around under you as you tackle small logs, rock gardens etc.

If you still aren't impressed in a month or so, you will have no shortage of people willing to take it off your hands.

Good luck!

LOL no...

Shit I'm thinking about putting one on my roadie pub bike.

But seriously It's a stumpy so don't worry about the weight. The latest versions of the command post are brilliant and very reliable. And the SRL lever is probably the nicest dropper lever out. Stick with it I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by yuley95 View Post
    The general rule is that you need to reverse your thinking a bit and leave it dropped some of the way as default and only raise it all the way up for sustained climbs.
    In all honesty, pedaling with my seat not set at the optimal height would shit me to tears - and I assume be inefficient with regards to power output.

you should definitely do what what you intended to do before asking for advice. Other people are dicks.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast