Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums | PotD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS chips for stolen bikes. Looking for info...

Default GPS chips for stolen bikes. Looking for info...

There has been a thread called "cop registration for your bike" that broached (sp) the issue of a GPS chip hidden in the frame to allow the tracking of stolen bikes.

Unfortunately no one has any info on the practice and I'm looking to see if anyone else (outside of that thread) has some solid info on where, who, how much. If it's even slightly affordable, I will get all my bikes done, without delay.

there is also another great idea in the thread called RADAR, I suggest you check it out.

Johnny.
    Your Lord and Saviour.
    Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver.
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground. Silly monkeys given thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down.

Thats a great idea. If u can get ur pets done, cars come with them now why not get ur bikes done. I would join you in getting all my bikes chipped

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    Your Lord and Saviour.
    now thats a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    Johnny.
    Your Lord and Saviour.
    Have you set a date for your crucifixion yet?

There is definitely a company that makes, or made, that system in Australia. I remember them advertising in AMB in the 90's. You had to insert something into your frame from what I remember, it was like a GPS chip you put down your seat tube..?

I'll try and remember the name.
    Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by S.
    Have you set a date for your crucifixion yet?
    Wow, where have you been living? I did that shit 2005 years ago, we celebrate it every year!! And once is enough thanks
    Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver.
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground. Silly monkeys given thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down.

Plus, if he's around for the second time, I wouldn't be making any long-term investments.... Armeggedon and all that stuff, y'know... :p
    One less car.

Johnny, if you do find something and its not way too overly expensive, can I suggest that you maybe think about organising a "group buy" - get a whole bunch of peeps here on farkin to throw in and so everyone can get it cheaper.

Though I think that this thing might be quite expensive...

Thanks for starting a thread on this.:)

I've bummed about and found something, worth a look.

Tech talk

Company#1

Company#2 (this one sounds more reliable)

I gotta bounce off for work now, so I couldn't possibly have the time to dig further.

Keep them coming.

Cheers.

Default where's the power?

I think the problem with the GPS tracking idea is the tracker would have to radiate a fair bit of power to work, and you are unlikely to find a battery that will do that for long.

I have the "RADAR" doofy in my own bike, which came with the insurance and it is passive. Pretty much the same technology as Phydeaux's RSPCA microchip.

If you are really lucky the cops will scan your bike, and you might get it back. In reality I think the deterrent is in the decals, and most (bike) thieves are too stupid to figure it out.

I have heard of people being declined police help when their bike is in DoshConvertas and serial numbers match.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast