Whats the best beer you've had & why?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Hmm, Malaysia. A hop skip and a jump away from Beijing. I can feel an all nighter coming on dude......:cool:
Fraid not mate, I'm here doing my offshore survival refresher here (it's a lot cheaper and a lot more "scenic" than doing it in Fremantle) then it's off back to Blighty on Friday night to whore my newly qualified diver arse in the North Sea for a month or two. Might be in the neighbourhood towards the end of the year though...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Fraid not mate, I'm here doing my offshore survival refresher here (it's a lot cheaper and a lot more "scenic" than doing it in Fremantle) then it's off back to Blighty on Friday night to whore my newly qualified diver arse in the North Sea for a month or two. Might be in the neighbourhood towards the end of the year though...
Sweet, bring some beer with you!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Great tread guys,
Over they last semester of Uni me an a couple of the guys have conducted out own beer appreiation sessions. Each bloke buys a couple of imported/fancy beers and we taste, share and comment. Its being great, have tasted over 40 beers and there have being some shockers. Here is a couple it can remember...

Great
  • Becks Pretty bland by kraut standards. nice, but not great...
  • Bitburgersee above
  • Monteith Black haven't tried it :eek:
  • Sapporo It's f***ing japanese Miller!
  • Newcastle Brown Ale "There's a fight in every bottle" pretty f***ing disgusting but I've got a soft spot for it. youthful memories and all that...
  • Carlton Black VB with added Cola syrup...
  • Löwenbräu see description of becks but remove the word 'nice'
  • VB:D sigh...

Average/Bland
  • Monteith Pilsner
  • Bondi Blonde
  • Carlsberg
  • Red Stripe
  • Pilsner Urquell
  • Heineken
  • Kronenbourg 1664
  • Tiger Beer
    Damn right! you've hit the nail on the head with the term 'average'

Crap
  • Old Speckled Hen Not man enough for ya? ;)
  • Steinlager fair point
  • Croatian beer FFS, okay they're not as good as the czechs when it comes to pilsner but come on! You've rated f***ing Bondi Blonde higher!
  • Some Dark Ales "Ooh ooh ooh! not touching that! it might have a flavour!" :rolleyes:

Cheers Alex
Sorry to sound harsh there mate. These are all just personal opinions of course but I can back them up with the fact that I do have opposable thumbs and can eat/hold conversation/watch tv without the aid of a bib...

;)

'Alex

Likes Dirt
Sorry to sound harsh there mate. These are all just personal opinions of course but I can back them up with the fact that I do have opposable thumbs and can eat/hold conversation/watch tv without the aid of a bib...

;)
Thanks for the feedback mate,
What would do you suggest, I'm more-or-less a n00b to this tasting beer rather than drinking it.;) And Yeah Old Speckled Hen drank half cold then i reckon it might get better warm so i tried that... I was different!
Cheers alex

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Thanks for the feedback mate,
What would do you suggest, I'm more-or-less a n00b to this tasting beer rather than drinking it.;) And Yeah Old Speckled Hen drank half cold then i reckon it might get better warm so i tried that... I was different!
Cheers alex
No problems there bud. I feel I'm here not just to entertain but also to inform...;)

A man's beer drinking odyssey can often start out shaped by the prejudices imposed by upbringing/culture/whatever's cheapest at the local pub. Sometimes you've just gotta think outside the box and reach for the stars (or whatever looks fancy and different at the local bottle-o) TBH if you find one you like and you drink enough of it to end up awaking in a plant pot with soiled shorts and a serious case of the shakes and/or self loathing, you're on to a winner!:cool:

'Alex

Likes Dirt
....you find one you like and you drink enough of it to end up awaking in a plant pot with soiled shorts and a serious case of the shakes and/or self loathing, you're on to a winner!
Is that from personal experience:D. Yeah, i know what you mean had a 6 of Stella for a 21st and i had drunk all but one before i arrived.:eek:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
On the subject of Asian beers though. I'm currently on my laptop in a bar in Johor Bahru, Malaysia enjoying an after-work pint of ice cold Tiger. TBH it's not the greatest beer on earth - could do with a bit more character in the taste - but it's bloody refreshing. Wi-Fi and bars are a great thing when you're bored. If only they'd get take the f***ing Scorpions off the stereo...:rolleyes:
not wrong about the tiger. as long as it's damn cold and in a glass after a hard days work or riding then it goes down fan-slooby-tastically.

the brewery is in singapore. i still have a bunch of parephenalia (sp?) such as glasses and coolers and hats and whatnot from when i lived over there.

eskoba

Banned
Actually no it's not. That is a VERY common misconception apparently. We talked about it in commerce the other day, with me feeling rather foolish at the end of the discussion.

And yes I realise that he can't read it due to him being banned, but for all of your other farkin'ers.
There was no need for you to feel foolish (well now you do) because you were right. In NSW (dont know about oter states), A minor is legally allowed to consume liquor under the supervision of a parent or Guardian in an unlicensed premises.
This is set-out in section 144 and 145 of the Liquor Act(NSW,1982)

Section 114
Section 115

scblack

Leucocholic
No problems there bud. I feel I'm here not just to entertain but also to inform...;)

A man's beer drinking odyssey can often start out shaped by the prejudices imposed by upbringing/culture/whatever's cheapest at the local pub. Sometimes you've just gotta think outside the box and reach for the stars (or whatever looks fancy and different at the local bottle-o) TBH if you find one you like and you drink enough of it to end up awaking in a plant pot with soiled shorts and a serious case of the shakes and/or self loathing, you're on to a winner!:cool:
I reckon it takes a lot of time (older age?) to genuinely appreciate a GOOD beer.

Like every uni student, I drank whatever was cheapest - VB and Tooheys - and this continued until until I was about 25-28 years old (when I also began to appreciate fine wines).

Part of the fact is that as you get older, you are not drinking simply to get as maggoted as possible - I now drink to appreciate the beer/wine along with good company, rather than simply get pissed.

Two beeers I tried a few weeks ago:
Carlton Black - rate this as Australia's most flavourLESS beer - crap.
Carlton Pure Blonde - very surprised by this one - good flavour, good colour - very drinkable.
Amstel Lager - dutch lager - good aroma, very drinkable.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Tiger, Anchor, Bintang, they all suck IFYAM! Come to think of it, Johor Baru aint the nicest place on earth either!
In terms of Asian beer, its all about Beer Chang:cool: Anything that use fermaldohite (sp?) as a preservative, with no regulation on the alchohol content, must be good:cool:

Beer Laos was a decent drop too, certainly superior to the likes of Tiger or Anchor.

Ryan

Radministrator
Amstel Lager - dutch lager - good aroma, very drinkable.
Up until this point I've considered you someone with a decent eye / palate for a good beer, but Amstel? I've never tasted a beer with so little, well, anything to it. It's like drinking mildly carbonated yellow water.

On the "it's not really beer" front; tried Mac's Gold recently and it's easily the nicest midstrength I've had in a while. Could happily put a six-pack of it away.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Been into the Asahi Super Dry lately (on tap at Story Bridge Hotel) and recently had a go at Kirin.

Both are great beers in my opinion.

scblack

Leucocholic
Up until this point I've considered you someone with a decent eye / palate for a good beer, but Amstel? I've never tasted a beer with so little, well, anything to it. It's like drinking mildly carbonated yellow water.
I've only had one, it was OK.

Good looking bottle.:p I am starting something of a beer bottle collection out in the brewing garage.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I really find the over analysis of liqour in general to be a frightful bore.

I used to be right into beer and wines and can talk immense amounts of bullshit about either, but to be honest, it's bloody tiring!

It's just a drink, so let's just bloody well drink it!

I've tried far too many beers now, and there's far too many in the world for me to try them all (which of course I feel obliged to do in fairness), so I've retreated to a James Sqires/Coopers/Tooheys Old axis. Plenty of variety in styles, it's known to be good, and not too expensive.

The beers I'm interested in trying are the bad ones... There's far less bad beer than good beer, and it gives me something to complain about!

Speaking of which, has anyone tried Michelob Ultra? It got one of the very few totally negative reviews I've ever seen in the SMH Good Living section.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Michelob is definately one of the worst beers I've ever had. I was in a jungle in Southern MAlaysia and I was given a few that had come from Singapore. I refused the rest after the first, that's how farking bad it was!

IF I remember correctly, Amstel is a budget beer in Europe!

I'm not a beer wanker, but I really do enjoy a good beer. My favourite is still definately one that I had made myself, but I think the difference between a good and bad beer is so distinct that the pursuit of finding, drinking and discussing the good ones is a worthy pursuit!

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have been trying all sorts of beers since I started working for a brewery.

Enjoying Boag's St. George tonight - would be a great summer beer - good thing the heater's cranking on full tonight...

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a Satan Red recently, really enjoyed it. But at $24 a bottle i don't think i'll be having another in the near future.

24seven

Likes Dirt
Old Speckled Hen in a can defeats the point of Old Speckled Hen.
Spitfire is an awesome ale, mmm ale. Might be a bit hard to get in Oz but I think I've seen it in Dan Murphy's.

I do tend to lean towards ales but some lagers are nice as is Corona.

Hobgoblin rocks "What's the matter lager boy, Afraid you might taste something?"