Yanks and Guns: and a lefty's possible change of heart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
innefectual(sic) and expensive gun legislation:confused:

theres a pretty strong correlation between gun laws and gun related violence. look at the difference in terms of gun related violence between the US(right to bear arms) and Australia, UK, Japan(tight regulations)....
Look at the correlation between gun laws in Brazil (tight) and the firearms murder rate (high)

Or say Israel where the number of automatic weapons in the community is VERY high and the muder rate (once deaths from terrorism and millitary action are removed) is low.

I'd actually argue that deaths from firearms related crime has more to do with the society itself than any legislation or lack thereof.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Look at the correlation between gun laws in Brazil (tight) and the firearms murder rate (high)

Or say Israel where the number of automatic weapons in the community is VERY high and the muder rate (once deaths from terrorism and millitary action are removed) is low.

I'd actually argue that deaths from firearms related crime has more to do with the society itself than any legislation or lack thereof.
I started writing a simillar post, but didnt have the time to think out correctly. American societies tv culture has a lot to answer for here.
On the other hand I'm also not an advocate for guns in society. I think there is no place for firearms as a sport. I think you should play darts if you want to test your accuracy skills.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

I started writing a simillar post, but didnt have the time to think out correctly. American societies tv culture has a lot to answer for here.
Gospel, pure gospel.
On the other hand I'm also not an advocate for guns in society. I think there is no place for firearms as a sport. I think you should play darts if you want to test your accuracy skills.
I prefer pissing on people from my 4th floor balcony as they walk past, myself.....

dcrofty

Eats Squid
You know, I used to care and rage about how silly their gun laws were. Now I don't. Let them carry as many guns as they want. Let as many kids accidentally shoot themselves as they will accept. Their democracy has decided that they will accept the current consequences of their high rate of gun ownership. Unless their is a major tipping point incident its unlikely to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.