Brookfield

MMelissa

Likes Bikes
Race day was yesterday...

Thoughts? .... Comments?

As a spectator, I was disappointed by the lack of planning at this race compared to all the others of the season. In particular, I couldn't believe that there was no on-site ambulance or medics. Surely there was a duty of care owed to the racers on such a technical track (where every second rider seemed to have a fall) to have ensure that this was the case.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Race day was yesterday...

Thoughts? .... Comments?

As a spectator, I was disappointed by the lack of planning at this race compared to all the others of the season. In particular, I couldn't believe that there was no on-site ambulance or medics. Surely there was a duty of care owed to the racers on such a technical track (where every second rider seemed to have a fall) to have ensure that this was the case.
There was a medical tent there, I'm sure there was medics to staff it as well.

There was a bunch of morons up in the forest jumping out in front of riders, deliberately trying to make them crash by scaring them. This kind of behaviour is just not on. Fuckwits, all of em.

If that kind of behaviour becomes the norm then trail access is only going to get worse - imagine if some forestry official came to a race to see what it was all about, before granting trail access, and saw that. No fucking wonder there's no where to legally DH in Brisbane.

DHers are their own worst enemies.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I nearly crashed after seeing those guys. They popped up right from behind the corner I was about to to hit. :mad: not cool.

Fun day though until my race run after the third corner my chain got jammed in chainguide, got to the side of the track and couldn't get it un-jammed and wasted three minutes up there trying to un-jam it. Eventually pumpmed my way down.

shiznik

Banned
Is there any news on that guy that ate shit in just after the gap?
He was on an stp 0 and didnt look to be moving after he crashed, he also held the race up for a good 45min.
Anyone know anything??

brett norris

Likes Dirt
Is there any news on that guy that ate shit in just after the gap?
He was on an stp 0 and didnt look to be moving after he crashed, he also held the race up for a good 45min.
Anyone know anything??

well im not 100% sure but i heard his mum say that he was saying his hip was really sore.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Kid was fine. The most frustrating thing was the whole way the issue was dealt with.

Saw the crash myself and basically he flipped over the bars at a pretty slow pace and clipped his hip on one of the rocks, it didn't seem too spectacular.
However if he was that injured they should of left him exactly where he was but, it was decided that he would be moved to the side of the track and then to leave him there and that they couldn't move him anymore.
Fair enough there was a alot of concern for him but if he is able to get off to the side of the track then he should of been fine to be taken down to the first aid tent.

And when the paramedics came they made him walk out on his own two feet.

And as for legal downhill in Brisbane its been discussed and it's never going to happen. Not that I am condoning whoever did what. But thats racing in QLD and how it's always been in my experience.

chase1

Likes Dirt
Kid was fine. The most frustrating thing was the whole way the issue was dealt with.

Saw the crash myself and basically he flipped over the bars at a pretty slow pace and clipped his hip on one of the rocks, it didn't seem too spectacular.
However if he was that injured they should of left him exactly where he was but, it was decided that he would be moved to the side of the track and then to leave him there and that they couldn't move him anymore.
Fair enough there was a alot of concern for him but if he is able to get off to the side of the track then he should of been fine to be taken down to the first aid tent.

And when the paramedics came they made him walk out on his own two feet.

And as for legal downhill in Brisbane its been discussed and it's never going to happen. Not that I am condoning whoever did what. But thats racing in QLD and how it's always been in my experience.
the only reason they moved him off the track was because the way he was lying was causing the pain to be worse. and they only moved after they had checked that they could cause no harm to him by moving him that metre or so. and both his parents and himself had agrred to let them move him. and the ambulance was called and they said not to move him down to the first aid tent, so don'y blame this on the paramedics or any one else at the race, it wasn't there call.
and I now have conformation that he is alright. but extremely bruised and sore.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
There was a medical tent there, I'm sure there was medics to staff it as well.
the only people i had seen in the medi tent all day was some young guys eating and drinking in there... i hadnt seen anyone on the track that looked like a medic either, i just glad i didnt come off and need to wait for an ambo to take me away.... woundering where my $60 bucks was going

keepin it real

Likes Dirt
Apart from Zach crashing (glad he's alright), the day was great. But the only other thing on the day that really annoyed me was when towards the end of the practice runs, guys were pushing in to do runs of the bottom section. I mean, me and a mate were doing a full practice run, only to have to Stop near the bottom while they did this. Its bullshit
I almost crashed trying to stop, and the bloke behind me crashed hard trying to stop as well. And to make things worse, when i finally could keep riding again, there was a queue of about 4-6 people just sitting in the track waiting.

But apart from that, the day was great, shuttles were good, and the riding was tops!

Last edited:

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a bunch of morons up in the forest jumping out in front of riders, deliberately trying to make them crash by scaring them. This kind of behaviour is just not on. Fuckwits, all of em.
For someone who wrote out a prescription for a pair of testicles.... perhaps you should take a little of your own advice;)... It was piss pants funny, and just added another degree of difficulty to an already technical track. You can't expect to complete a race run without the odd drunken spectator or visible arse

EDIT: Your description "in front of the riders" made it sound like they were getting in the way of the riders, this wasn't the case

As for the race, the track was great! Moto Woops :D and very glad the decision was made to bunt off the line around them. Shuttles were a little slow considering the short distance that had to be travelled. I think it's a little disapointing that nobody is stepping up and offering to shuttle (and before you get on your high horse, yes I have done it myself). The Hot Dogs were freakin delicious! The most annoying thing about the 45 minute delay was that NOBODY WAS TOLD ANYTHING!! We were sitting up in forest wondering what the f*ck was happening. And I agree that for such a dangerous track it was stupid not to have an ambulance on site! All in all though the track was great, the crowd was great, the racing was great and camo's barhump was amazing!

Last edited:

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha it was rather good leitch, even by cams standards. but he did come and see me at the end and tell me how he struggled to ride the rest of the track because he gave the stem a little bit too much love a little bit too hard and fast

MadMatt

The MiniMan
All in all a great day, Big thanks to Joel & familly for the use of their property, withoput people like this we wouldn`t have such great tracks to race on, & we can`t forget the countless hours put into the track preparation by all the boys, well done guys & yeah i love the whoops :) awsome & should be more of them :) well done for all the work from Kenmore club running the event, all the shuttle drivers & track marshals & TWP & etc etc etc (basically everyone involved in helping run the event)

I know i`ve said this before, but please do take a second to thank all these people at all your races, & tell all your mates too as well please, it only takes a sec & that little bit of appreciation goes a long way, even if you`re just walking past them, just say hi & thanks you`re doin a great job. I`ve organised & run heaps & heaps of car racing events & watch all the volenteers just get ignored & even abused & stuff,,,, not cool,,, give them some appreciation please, they`re helping you race & have fun & not being paid for it. It really does mean more to them than you think.

I do agree there is a real problem of not having an ambo there, CAMS(Confederation of Australian Motor Sport) will simply not let a race meeting start until there is an ambulance present & i really do believe this sport needs the very same rule. It`s not like we`re riding on a comfy foam footpath with marshmellow tree trunks & chocklate pudding rocks/bolders (mmm yum :))

I had a rather mild day really, both my practse runs were held up with squids blocking the track so i didn`t really get a good clean run in to the rock garden, but i don`t really care that much cause i rarely do any more than 2 or 3 practise runs at races anyway, but this track i`d have liked to have hit the gap jump/step down thing in practise, just couldn`t get a good clean roll thru there to hit it with kids blocking it, that`s my only regret. Maybe next year i will block the track myself & wait for the scaredy cats to get out of the way & then i might have a half decent run at it :) I`m too dam old & lazy to do the short section push runs like a heap of the elite & u/19s were doin. bugga that,,, too much like hard work. :)

The only other bad comment i have is that with well over 300 people (including all riders, familly, friends & spectators) & i only saw 2 toilets ... & a cue for them nearly all day... well,,, 300 plus people & only 2 toilets??? what the fark is that??? crickey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see you all again at """Muck-eye""" Champs -->Yeah???? :)

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
For someone who wrote out a prescription for a pair of testicles.... perhaps you should take a little of your own advice;)... It was piss pants funny, and just added another degree of difficulty to an already technical track. You can't expect to complete a race run without the odd drunken spectator or visible arse
I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. They were trying to get people to crash, on their race runs. Next thing they'll be poking sticks through peoples wheels.

It's not 'piss pants funny'; it's juvenile and pathetic.

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah was a sweet as day! great race, great track, great people, great atmosphere :D

only thing that pissed me off a little was firstly: the signing in the morning, we drove around for a good half hour(with many other people) tyring to find the race, and secondly: the shuttles were a little slow but that was ok (just did 2 push runs ):p

great day none the less :)

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. They were trying to get people to crash, on their race runs. Next thing they'll be poking sticks through peoples wheels.

I guess we will agree to disagree then... Personally I got to a race 60% for the racing, and 40% for the joy of watching the shenanigans of those spectators who have a nailed a beer or two, and would not be even remotely upset if they had done it to me.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Next thing they'll be poking sticks through peoples wheels.

Poking sticks through peoples' wheels. Are you out of you fucking mind? No one would ever take it to that level.

I'm so glad you weren't around for the kooralbyn national round back in 05.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I guess we will agree to disagree then... Personally I got to a race 60% for the racing, and 40% for the joy of watching the shenanigans of those spectators who have a nailed a beer or two, and would not be even remotely upset if they had done it to me.
The normal yelling and air horns etc, is all just part of the atmosphere but when people are deliberately trying to make riders crash, that is just too far.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The normal yelling and air horns etc, is all just part of the atmosphere but when people are deliberately trying to make riders crash, that is just too far.
I don't believe at all that their intention was to make the riders crash.
In my book anything that makes the race a memorable one is a good by me, It's the same I guess as the ice fight, It may have gotten a little out of hand, but at the end of the day it's just another thing to set the race apart from the rest... I don't think anyone's going to be saying "remember at last year's brookfield race when that one guy clapped really loud and was very supportive"
and yes! Barhump picture would be great!

Last edited: