New Five Ten Ba51c

duck_man

Likes Dirt
So who has seen it? The new shoe out from the guys at Five ten, the Ba51c.

Same rubber as whats on the Impact, but in a sneaker. I think its a pretty rad shoe, how ever its not being imported into Australia at the moment, so if we went it we have to look over seas.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Where can one purchase 5-10 shoes in Sydney for a good price?

Also, what's a good "overall" shoe for general mucking around, a bit of XC trails etc?

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
Im sure if enough people wanted them they would import them to aus.

Ask your 510 dealer

Also outdoor stores like Kathmandu deal 510's as they are a climbing/hiking shoe company you could try them

duck_man

Likes Dirt
I work for a Five Ten dealer, and called spelean.

In the meen time they are not coming to our shores.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
5.10 Mountain Masters were basically the next rung down the tree from Impacts as far as sticky sole and general shoe comfort went. Then for bizarro reasons unknown they decided to delete them from their range. The general approach shoes that they've replaced them with are not a patch on Mountain Masters for either grip or comfort. I'm currently using a pair of Guide Tennies as a stopgap, but although the rubber may be stealth dots, they're far from as good in grip either.

Some odd decisions being made in 5.10 land...

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They better have a fucking good sole to compensate for the rest! How much do 5Tens usually retail for (roughly)?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where can one purchase 5-10 shoes in Sydney for a good price?

Also, what's a good "overall" shoe for general mucking around, a bit of XC trails etc?
ebay mate, about $80 or something from memory. try them on somewhere first though, i found them to be a bit smaller than my usual size.

casey79

Likes Dirt
CRC has them about $100. Not in stock at the moment though and have had no reply to emails I have sent to them over the last two days.

casey79

Likes Dirt
ebay mate, about $80 or something from memory. try them on somewhere first though, i found them to be a bit smaller than my usual size.
Problem with trying in a shop then buying online is that the shops will get sick of spending time with customers who are trying on shoes with out any intention of buying then not stock them at all. Thus Spelean will stop importing them.

oldbean

NSWMTB
I've actually heard of shops charging people $10 to try on shoes if they don't then buy a pair, to deter people from then buying them online, and just wasting the shops time.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Actually, I think probably the best thing about the ba51c is that red sole. My wife just hates me wearing my Mountain Masters or Guide Tennies in the house, especially in the kitchen. They leave black marks everywhere. If the same grip is available without the black marks then I can see that being a huge selling point (esp with folks who have to clean up the floors). Not sure on red as a subtle colour, brown, grey, navy or moss green might be a bit better. Depends on the target audience.

For the "OMG 1 1Z 73H M4DC0R 1337 P4RK0UR!!!" crowd then I guess red soles go faster...

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Problem with trying in a shop then buying online is that the shops will get sick of spending time with customers who are trying on shoes with out any intention of buying then not stock them at all. Thus Spelean will stop importing them.
The guy selling them on ebay is in Australia and must be making a profit so I guess its either the bike shops or the importer that is selling them at an inflated price. They retail for about $80 - $90 in Canada too which is where I got mine.

Anyway this is opening a big can of worms, i buy stuff at the cheapest price I can find, i don't really care where its from.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Five-Ten-IMP...ageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124

DJR

Likes Dirt
In regards to Impact sizing, i bought mine from a local shop (Cyclingo hobart), sure i paid a bit more but i don't mind.

The sizes seem to be spot on (well at least for me), i tried on a US size 12 and it fit me fine, just like most shoes. There are half sizes anyway, so if you are worried about it just get one half size bigger than your normal US size shoe.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah my old riding sneakers are pretty worn now so I was looking at that as one of the options. But it seems pretty similar to the Guide Tennie.

It was either the Impact low tops or something more versatile and from the womens range

In the end I ordered one of these, should be good for riding and all round use!. The BA51C seems great if you really like the skate style shoes.

I ordered mine from the place below, they should be on their way now. They are selling the Five Ten Ba51c as well - link below....
Mountain Gear 5.10 BA51C

And like quite a few other things - buying from the US seems to save just about 50% on retail here.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^^^^^

does almost half price include shipping?

;)
Yeah that's why I said almost!

I didn't order them just for the $$ savings. More the fact that camping stores or bike stores don't seem to sell any sort of Five Ten shoes let alone the ones I want, and otherwise I don't fancy a 3hr drive to Perth.
If I could have sourced them close to home & tried them on etc, I'd be more than happy to pay full price, well much to my husbands disapproval of the close to $200 cost! This way we're both happy.
And once you're talking on-line shopping, well Aus seems to be lacking in that regard, not so much in the bike gear (Phantom, FTR, TBSM are all great), but other stuff like shoes.

I'm looking at $124Au delivered providing the credit card company doesn't slug some sort of currency exchange fee. Now that's pretty reasonable but stretching it as I like to keep shoe cost around the $100 mark - or buy $100 shoes when they're on sale for $50! I'm cheap on clothes too, can't bring myself to pay $100 for a bike shirt or shorts!