Petrol Prices Rant.

Sps.

Banned
It won't achieve a damn thing as the price of a barrel of oil is not dictated at the servo!
Yes!

This is the bloody problem. Petrol prices are so bloody political and greedy its scary. I hate the way that how much we pay for almost everything in our lives is dictated by some greedy, fat, bald wanker sitting in a sky-scraper who doesn't care how much families have to pay for their food or other vital supplies.

addmin

Likes Dirt
this my friends is why we all {should} ride bikes.. Unless you have a motorised bike in which case you may find yourself resorting to pedal power.

as someone has mentioned,
higher petrol prices = less people driving cars
less people driving = safer conditions for us :)

i am at an age where i have the option of starting to drive this year, i am seriously contemplating whether i should go for it or just save the money (from exorbitant fuel prices) for my numerous bicycles :)

ps staunch up manfairy1

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh, fuel prices may be high but that's life.

But, I love it when idiots complain about fuel prices, and about how they have no money, and then spend $50 +++ a week on cigarettes.

Fucking brainless!

red death

Likes Bikes
... As i complained before diesel is easier to manufacture, i mean they have to add less to it and do less to it yet its is farking more expensive than normal unleaded and diesel even lasts longer (i mean you get more KMs out of a full tank of diesel than regular unleaded)..
It's an Australian historical anomaly. Back in '79 there was this thing called the Razorback Blockade. All the truckies blockaded all freight transport on the Old Hume Highway at Razorback Mountain near Picton NSW. There was a similar blockade at Yass. At that time it was the main road from Sydney, or to Sydney if you were from Melbourne. The truckies were most unhappy at Malcolm Fraser's Coalition Govt proposals to put in a heavy vehicle tax to have those causing the majority of damage to roads fund the upkeep.

The truckies, championed by old golden tonsils John Laws ran a great campaign, and the govt caved in with the tax proposal. Worth mentioning it sent a few truckies bankrupt too. My neighbor back then was pretty unimpressed but he kept driving for another 20 years so I guess he got the up side too.

Instead the Govt introduced a diesel levy by stealth. Back then very few vehicles other than heavy vehicles used diesel so it had a bit of logic.

Nowadays it's stupid. A tax on heavy vehicles is the go, not a tax on fuel used mostly by those heavy vehicles in a distant previous century. It would also have the effect of encouraging more efficient rail transport where practicable.

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lets get real here aren't there other pressures which we should be more concerned about? I for one am more concerned with things like the increased cost of living and buying my first home.

get fucked you bunch of homos
Rightio MANFAIRY

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yes!

This is the bloody problem. Petrol prices are so bloody political and greedy its scary. I hate the way that how much we pay for almost everything in our lives is dictated by some greedy, fat, bald wanker sitting in a sky-scraper who doesn't care how much families have to pay for their food or other vital supplies.
Greed is only partly to blame. At the servo end of the spectrum, companies still have to remain competitive whilst they are still forced to pay the high cost of importing crude for refining. Shell, for example are a major producer yet their refineries still have to compete with other refineries to buy in crude oil.

There is only so much oil being produced and having dickheads like Iraeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's deputy calling for air strikes on Iran - a major player in OPEC and one who can control shipping in and out of the Strait of Hormuz - and thus causing a further hike in prices, isn't helping.

This coupled with the huge demand from China and India has created the situation we are in nowadays and who are we to deny the families of those nations access to energy? After all, how else are we going to get our cut-price consumer goods produced?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Oh god....
Yeah, pretty much

'petrol should be cheap again', lol. Did you think before you said that. It is currently economically impossible for that to happen. It's just something we all have to accept. The best thing they can do right now is put some tax dollars to use building roads with good surfaces that cut the travel distances. Yeah, sure, that uses oil and destroys the environment, but if we want to keep driving, it may be a viable option. Perth-bunbury highway is a good example. Or, improved public transport, and more long distance public transport (mandurah-perth train is a good step)

Otherwise, buying smaller cars will help, but isn't practical for some people. The simple fact is, this is going to force the use of foresight and public transport in terms of getting around. It's not a case of what we want, it is do we have to or can we afford to. Simple case of what is truly necessary, and what other options are available.

And as mentioned, a tax on heavier vehicles, or vehicles with a certain power/p:w may be applied, but god dammit it would need a hell of a lot of control, eg) family or single person owning a large car?

Last edited:

downhillerBen

Likes Dirt
Manfairy1 and downhillerben do you dumbfucks even drive a vehicle?
Well if you looked back i directly said no i didn't drive, and calm down you don't need to call me a farking dumbfuck, i have a right to my opinion, if i think the petrol prices are to high thats my problem and if you don't like it then keep your own opinion to yourself.. ok ?

I personally don't think theres much point in raising petrol prices to this extent, I understand Kevin Rudd's plans and that but most people i know just think its ridiculous, and thats the impression i have aswell..

Maybe i think your a dumbfuck for having the opposite opinion but i'm not throwing names at people.. :mad:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Solution-Nuclear power for the win! Then we can use all the spare oil we have saved to power our automobiles!Waits for angry comeback

|Matt|

Banned
I personally don't think theres much point in raising petrol prices to this extent, I understand Kevin Rudd's plans and that but most people i know just think its ridiculous, and thats the impression i have aswell..
As much as I don't like defending Kevin Rudd, hes not the one putting the prices up.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if you looked back i directly said no i didn't drive, and calm down you don't need to call me a farking dumbfuck, i have a right to my opinion, if i think the petrol prices are to high thats my problem and if you don't like it then keep your own opinion to yourself.. ok ?

Maybe i think your a dumbfuck for having the opposite opinion but i'm not throwing names at people.. :mad:

Do you even understand why petrol prices are 'high'?

Rather then looking to cut 5c off the excise we should be lookin for other fuels to run our cars to move away from the 'black gold'

Last edited:

red death

Likes Bikes
...I understand Kevin Rudd's plans and that...
I'm not sure you do Ben. The govt has not put the price up or down, the market does that. It's called capitalism. The govt has made no change to the tax arrangements re fuel I'm aware of since being elected.

Then again if you really do understand Rudd's plans, can you fill the rest of us in please. :D

Sps.

Banned
Solution-Nuclear power for the win! Then we can use all the spare oil we have saved to power our automobiles!Waits for angry comeback
And then either die from a giant explosion or get cancer and die a slow and painful death.

But at least we'll still have our cars, right?

Right? :confused::confused: