CELL Bikes

Belhamel

Squid
Hi everyone. I'm gonna share my story/experience with CELL bikes. On this forum a lot of people are asking out about BEGINNER bikes our TIGHT BUDGETS. A lot of these threads goes nowhere and one of the reasons it seems to me is peoples def of BUDGET.

I wanted to give MTB a go after my knee gave in and my marathon training came to a halt. I have not been on a bike in about 10 years, so altough it looked like the best fun, I didn't know if it was for me. And yes, I was on a budget. But I mean a real budget. $300 max. YWe cant all buy a $1000 cheapies

I'm 6'2 and looked at trying to get a second hand bike, but frankly I just could't find one. I almost gave up when I stumbled upon Cell Bikes. I emailed them a couple of times and decided to risk it. I received my $300 MTX1 and have never looked back.

I hit the trails 3 times a week and thanks to Cell I'm out of my funk (after my running injury) and was able to discover the best sport in the world, MOUNTAIN BIKING!!

I know the bike I bought is not gonna last me a life time and I know I'll have to upgrade sooner than later. All I'm saying is that altough Cell bikes might be the butt of a lot of jokes on these forums, thanks to them I'm part of the Mountain bike comunity, even though I'm not allowed to park my bike next to anyones elses!!!!!!

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hi everyone. I'm gonna share my story/experience with CELL bikes. On this forum a lot of people are asking out about BEGINNER bikes our TIGHT BUDGETS. A lot of these threads goes nowhere and one of the reasons it seems to me is peoples def of BUDGET.

I wanted to give MTB a go after my knee gave in and my marathon training came to a halt. I have not been on a bike in about 10 years, so altough it looked like the best fun, I didn't know if it was for me. And yes, I was on a budget. But I mean a real budget. $300 max. YWe cant all buy a $1000 cheapies

I'm 6'2 and looked at trying to get a second hand bike, but frankly I just could't find one. I almost gave up when I stumbled upon Cell Bikes. I emailed them a couple of times and decided to risk it. I received my $300 MTX1 and have never looked back.

I hit the trails 3 times a week and thanks to Cell I'm out of my funk (after my running injury) and was able to discover the best sport in the world, MOUNTAIN BIKING!!

I know the bike I bought is not gonna last me a life time and I know I'll have to upgrade sooner than later. All I'm saying is that altough Cell bikes might be the butt of a lot of jokes on these forums, thanks to them I'm part of the Mountain bike comunity, even though I'm not allowed to park my bike next to anyones elses!!!!!!

Here here... the bottom line is that you get what you pay for, but if you don't have or don't want to spend thousands of dollars, then go for it! (as you did... lol)

CELL Bikes

Likes Dirt
The Butt Of Jokes...

You know,

We (or at least I) don't mind being the 'Butt of Jokes' because I happen to be a 'Butt Man'.

And 'Behamel' send me a PM and I'll reward your loyalty with some free schwag (as in a jersey or something, not 'weed').

Cheers,

Mark from Smell...er..I mean CELL Bikes

Benduro

Likes Dirt
Just saw what looks to be a pretty nice carbon HT on their web site...Can't remember the name/model but it was $2000 after $1500 off! The light blue and carbon looked awesome imho. I'm just bummed I didn't know about them 3 weeks ago when I purchased my specialized as I would have really considered one of these:rolleyes: Still love the Stumpy though:D

DeBloot

Feeling old
Mate, you could do a hell of a lot worse than a Cell for $300
Money well spent - good on you for not letting your budget or ego get in the way of a great time

Well done to Smell for looking after this end of the market
Plus I like a guy with a sense of humour

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The more rational of us on Farkin will applaud anyone for getting into MTB on any type of bike.
Even if Cell isn't the choice of most here (that goes to Giant, Kona and/or Norco, I reckon) and won't last forever, they supply a crucial part of the market, and one that definitely leads to good things when people get hooked on MTB.
CELL Bikes: your humility (and humour) is refreshing!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Yup, image concerns aside, CELL bikes have a very important place in the cycling community... and that's getting people on bikes by getting them the most bang-for-the-buck possible.

I think the SS-100 is a stellar example of this! An aggressively styled flat-bar roadie at a super cheap price (used to be rediculously cheap, but I guess we're seeing the effects of supply-and-demand).

Anyone asking me for the cheapest, aggressive flat-bar roadie for commuting on, I recommend this one first... no question.

Mind you, Mark... I think you gotta check the description of that bike... you've updated the price on it, but in the description, you've got a line that says "A lot of performance for less than....", which is clearly wrong now.

Soda

Cannon Fodder
Add to that, they provide a valuable online service, there are few Aussie online stores for biking goodies. I'm yet to ride a cell bike, but as previously said, they cater for a specific portion of the market, be it, those who just love to ride and aren't looking for 'name brand' bikes, or those looking to get into the sport.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I think CELL's marketing competition thing was probally the biggest stroke of genius (excluding all relevant scienctific technologies, devolpments and theories) since the invention of the light bulb. Thread stater read up on the thread by Xmetal.
Cell, sold any carbon XC'er yet?

PABLO

Squid

Good on you mate you have found a great sport and a great community. Your better off spending $300 and learning a bit about it before spending $3000 and buying a bike which may not suit you and what you want to do.Anyway you could have done worse by getting yourself a HUFFY from Kmart now that is a joke.

m_g

Likes Dirt
I think the SS-100 is a stellar example of this! An aggressively styled flat-bar roadie at a super cheap price (used to be rediculously cheap, but I guess we're seeing the effects of supply-and-demand).

Anyone asking me for the cheapest, aggressive flat-bar roadie for commuting on, I recommend this one first... no question.
i got my flatmate on one of these ss100s and she loves it...got it at the bargain price (the price has actually now gone up!)...

as mentioned, most people on here see Cell as supplying a niche market, and gets people started-and with some of the Cell bikes Ive seen lately many people will consider them for their 2nd and 3rd bikes...I especially like the look of the carbon roadies....Good job Cell!

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
The more rational of us on Farkin will applaud anyone for getting into MTB on any type of bike.

CELL Bikes: your humility (and humour) is refreshing!
More rational.... who is this rational person you speak of....... on Farkin? Cant be spanky..... he's as rational as a pit bull on three hits of good acid.

and yes, cell bikes self depreciating humour does take the sting out of those who hassle the cell bikes....

s

bushpilot

Likes Dirt
Mate, you could do a hell of a lot worse than a Cell for $300
Money well spent - good on you for not letting your budget or ego get in the way of a great time

Well done to Smell for looking after this end of the market
Plus I like a guy with a sense of humour
Here Here, I started on a $170 Kent dual susser :eek: , it got me "out there" but what I found really disturbing about this bike was the "not for off road use" sticker I found when cleaning the bike.
I stopped riding it before I killed myself and bought a Norco entry level which was excellent, I still have the frame (1.5kg Hardtail) to build up in the future as a stanby bike.
If I'd known about Cell I could have got through the introductory and learning phase on just one bike and saved myself a few hundred, you live and learn I guess.

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
Just saw what looks to be a pretty nice carbon HT on their web site...Can't remember the name/model but it was $2000 after $1500 off! The light blue and carbon looked awesome imho. I'm just bummed I didn't know about them 3 weeks ago when I purchased my specialized as I would have really considered one of these:rolleyes: Still love the Stumpy though:D
Does anyone out there have one of the Carbon Cells (MTX-0). They look great value but $2000 is a lot to spend if it doesn't do the job.

Cheers,

Reece.

Likes Dirt
firstly, welcome to mountain biking,
you will soon learn that people with not look at u any differently for having a lower end bike but will value you for the type of bloke that you are.

Have fun riding
Reece

edo1

Likes Bikes
Is there enough bits on say their $1299 alloy HT thing, (XT/Tora) that make it worth buying one just to pinch bits off to build up another bike from a frame?

I look at the parts that are listed & figure a XT groupset is worth about $1k...& the other bits must be worth more than $300, meaning if you had to bin the frame you would still be ahead.

I must be missing something...