Hucking to flat, who does it?

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats actually me.....

But seriously thats one crazy kid, i wonder if he will ever ride the Apcolypse (Sp?) you know the bike made by Karpiel with 12 inches of travel.
Isn't that his bike?
I don't feel mentally comfortable doing just a drop to concrete (ie ledge), but if it's down stairs or something I don't mind as much, not sure why. That said, I don't think I've ever contemplated doing more than 4/5 stairs cause I can't find any more than that.

single-track-mind

Likes Dirt
After a recent talk with my riding buddies about hucking to flat, many of which don't, i decied to ask, who does it? And are there any obvious side effects from it either to your bike or to you?

Oh and whats you biggest huck to flat!
apox 4 meters resulting in below

Dislocated right shoulder/humerous fractured in two places/separated AC /severely bruised ego/
3 months of work , no insurance=.....-$12,500/3 months off bike/4 months out of the surf
oh the bike was okay go the the Judge !

Jimass

Eats Squid
apox 4 meters resulting in below

Dislocated right shoulder/humerous fractured in two places/separated AC /severely bruised ego/
3 months of work , no insurance=.....-$12,500/3 months off bike/4 months out of the surf
oh the bike was okay go the the Judge !
All I can say is Ouch!!!!!!

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Isn't that his bike?
I don't feel mentally comfortable doing just a drop to concrete (ie ledge), but if it's down stairs or something I don't mind as much, not sure why.
me too! don't know why:confused: must feel a bit safer with less air between the bike and the ground lol:p

Jimass

Eats Squid
me too! don't know why:confused: must feel a bit safer with less air between the bike and the ground lol:p
So am I to take it that you like to do fast, long 'nd low jumps? I don't know why I like hucking, I guess I just love riding all together.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As long as theres a decent landing, a bitta air aint hurt anyone. I have completely over shot the landing ramp on a headhigh double and landed on flat, i got a tad of whiplash through the neck and just weakened my rear wheel just enough for it to loose spoke tension several rides later...............Yeah im not a fan of dirtjumping, ive done it a couple of times but downhill/agressive trail riding is soo much better. More fun, less danger :D

H

>Henry

Hmm if you post this in the freeride thread you get a lot more positive answers. :rolleyes:

I do also love a huck down some stairs, Like when i hucked down 8 stairs on my 16 incher and blew out the front bearings :p

kholden_1992

Likes Dirt
drop to flat i did wasnt even 1 meter high and went over the handle bars:eek: havent hucked a drop since.

but biggest huck to flat was set of twelve stairs to flat on a kona stuff

result of that is having my my rims straightened about five times :eek:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
plenty of race tracks have drops that are to flat or close to it, but with a push shock its all the same feeling :p

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'll huck to flat if I'm mucking around with friends or if it's part of a DH track, but otherwise it's not something I go out of my way for, especially if the drop is big enough that my heels hit the ground and jar the fuck out of me (big feet and long travel). It's not terribly brainy, but it is fun... sometimes :)

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Huck to flat to splat to crack to cry Patto <3's... Its the only way to go!

Remember some of the old school vids with guys on big sus rigs in the city doing mad hucks... oh what fun times :rolleyes:

Dicky

Punter God
Plow King said:
*Makes note "Who not to buy parts from."*
Keep posting your hucks up kids!

A memory that pops to mind is flat landing the 7ft drop at the Wandandian State Race at Nowra. My ankles usually take most of the beating.
The fallen tree drop, kinda near the bottom, with the lander built hard up against it and a sharp right where the lander oughta be?
I'd say a fair few people are guilty of hucking that one...

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Drop onto flat:

Mountain biker:
Dually, big run up, body armour, full face helmet, crash, hospital visit.

Trials rider:
Single speed, rigid forks, big holes drilled in rim, XC helmet, maybe gloves, trackstand, pedal kick, side hop...