2007 Giant Reign 1

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whered you get it? Ive been looking for a plain BLACK one for ever and was thinking of getting it engraved.

I might not be a fan of the gold parts, but you certainly deserve credit for being able to track so much of it down. I thought I was doing well when I put a few red parts on a black frame back in the day! Obviously not:eek:

Mate, you're one mental bugger when it comes to colour. Your fixie you brought round to my place was insane! :D

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...but I just cant seem to make sence of the camo/yellowish saddle and gold air valve caps...?

long time reader first time poster - love your stuff justin! Quite a few important hours of my life are now gone due to your pimping hand and threads! grrrr

'Ross

Eats Squid
...but I just cant seem to make sence of the camo/yellowish saddle and gold air valve caps...?
They were leftovers from my older bike (sparkly blue with gold parts) I never got around to getting a new seat and stuff because I saw the light and had an epiphamy or whatever and quit riding bikes with gears. Been riding nothing but singlespeed ever since:)

Enough of my life story......whens the yeti frame arriving justin?:p And has your friend jing quit riding? Lots of his stuff seems to be for sale.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Enough of my life story......whens the yeti frame arriving justin?:p And has your friend jing quit riding? Lots of his stuff seems to be for sale.
LOL Ross. As mentioned earlier. The Yeti will be mine when I feel worthy (seriously though I'm dropping Christina hints in preparation for my B'day mid next year!).

Jing's very much into riding, he's sold his Scale frame + fork to me, and selling his Reign off in order to buy one of his many dream bikes (trust me, it's going to be ridiculously hot).

In other news I got my wheels back today, nice and true and they dished them too. I spent some time setting up my bars/brakes/shifters today. The bars are a lot wider and I've set the brakes inbound a fair bit in a bid to keep forcing me to one finger brake.

Tightening bolts on an alu bar is sooooo relieving coming from a carbon bar! HAHA.

Pic:

PS: I also helped a mate Andy buy his bike today. Another convert!!! More mates to ride with, that's an awesome thing! :)

New bike smiles. Andy's new Yukon SX.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
39 pages, jeez.

wide bars rock, they feel so much better, but they have a drawerback, they hookup on tight singletrail, and the QLD trail care crew think tight twisty trails is the way to go.

still, i wouldnt have it any other way. :rolleyes:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a tiny update guys:

The 2.1 Schwalbe Nobby Nics never got a go on the Reign as I put them straight onto my Scott Scale (I wasn't impressed with them at the dam either, just felt too thin and deflected off rocks too much).

I did however get a 2.1 Nevegal Stick-e for the front and a 2.1 Nevegal DTC for the rear and got to test these out at Loftus last weekend. The weather was poor, there was heaps of mud and the tyres did great! They roll a shitload faster than my previous 2.35 set-up. Those gradual climbs are sooooo much easier on my legs now and as far as cornering grip goes this combo feels even more playful than the last (2.35 DTC front and a Larsen TT 2.35 rear).

I did however score my very first pinch flat (lol yes my very first!). I was doing silly shit though on this big rock (one of the few at Loftus lol).

In other news my just trued for the 1st time chain reaction weenie wheelset coped just fine, not that I was doing anything but XC on them, but at least they're still dead straight. They migfht stay straight but at the moment it's a mental battle. When I park the bike up next to anyone elses it's obvious that my spokes are so thin (you can hardly even see them!) and it's almost like having a mental dissadvange for me at the moment. I've gotten a few quotes to rebuild the wheels: keep the hubs (cause I love the sound!) and just get DT champion spokes + DT 5.1 or Mavic 819 UST rim but at $480 to do the rebuild I could get a whole new set of Hope's + 5.1/819/DT spokes from chain reaction!!!!!!!!

So to cap it up: I'm super happy with the tyres but the flat pisses me off. I hope it wasn't because of the thinner tyre? And I hope it doesn't somehow open the door up to many more (it's got me at least thinking of UST now).

Anyways, some pics.

Front.

Rear.

Nobby Nic 2.1 vs. Nevegal 2.1

Me.

Mud.

stickso

Likes Dirt
I've got 2.35 Nevegals on my 08 Reign which I really like but I want something that rolls a bit better on the back so maybe a 2.1 Nevegal would be a good option? I was thinking of a Crossmark but I had those on my previous bike an climbing grip was pretty ordinary.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I've got 2.35 Nevegals on my 08 Reign which I really like but I want something that rolls a bit better on the back so maybe a 2.1 Nevegal would be a good option? I was thinking of a Crossmark but I had those on my previous bike an climbing grip was pretty ordinary.
Larson TT :)

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just wondering how much psi you running in the Fox 32? whats your weight?
I've forgotten but it's set up for just under 20% sag. I'm 58kg's.

One flat and your already thinking UST? jeeeeez.........
Well I had been thinking about it for months but never thought too seriously about it as I've never had a flat before lol.

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sure is Wolfie.

I've been wearing it for a while now. I used to wear a protec DJ lid, that was heavy, sweaty and it was kinda tight on my temples. My girl's Fox Flux helmet is very adjustable and suuuper comfy, but it's hers not mine (lol). The Met's adjustable but it's not as comfy as the fox, but it's light at 590g and it's very airy so my head stays cool. I also (mentally) feel a bit more confident in it too so it's a winner in my books.

Well I had been thinking about it for months but never thought too seriously about it as I've never had a flat before lol.
I just slapped a Lyrik 2-step and XT wheels with UST Highrollers on my 07 Reign 1. I used to get bucket loads of flats with the standard tyre/tube combo, haven't had one yet with UST and they feel sooo nice, much better than the crappy Barracudas.