Maxle help, loose

spoony

Likes Dirt
I bought a Maxle today for my pikes after ALOT of sorting around trying to fine one.
Got home, jumped on Rockshox website to have a squize at the manual (I have destroyed to many parts just trying to wing it).
Chucked it in, things seemed to go alright but then I noticed on the end where the handle is, there is a tiny bit of play in it, so I tightened it up and there is a lot less but still notice-able.
I do not have a wheel for this at this stage so I don't know how badly it will effect that.
So at the moment it is about as tight as I can get it by hand (as the manual says no tools (I wouldn't have anyway)), so should I;
  • (A) Stop being a pussy and crank it tight until it stops moving?
  • (B) Head down to the LBS for some prof. advice?
  • (C) Cope.
This is a video of the movement

How do I embed a photobucket video straight ??

Last edited:

Uber_Dan

Likes Bikes
Im thinking you should cruze down to your LBS instead of cranking it at the risk of braking some thing.
You said you have broken many parts before just winging it so, DON'T MAKE THIS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE PARTS!

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
To me it looks like the wrong size maxle, you need the thicker one. There is no play at all in mine at either end, no matter how I try.

norcorulz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It could just be the lower leg flexing. I say wait till you put on the front wheel and then see.

spoony

Likes Dirt
i used to have a pair of 07 pikes and had the same problem after a post ride clean. try twisting the other end (not the release end) when the maxle is out, then try in your forks again.

not sure if this will fix your problem, so be gentle :eek: it worked for me. hope this helps
can you elaborate?

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
The end opposite to the handle turns. That is how you tighten the maxle properly. But no matter how loose that end is you won't get play at the handle end. I hope that makes sense. Go play with your maxle and it will make sense.

spoony

Likes Dirt
The end opposite to the handle turns. That is how you tighten the maxle properly. But no matter how loose that end is you won't get play at the handle end. I hope that makes sense. Go play with your maxle and it will make sense.
Yeah I understand, the little nut at the end.

But problem is temporarily patched up, there is nothing a bit of duct tape cannot fix.:p:p:p

Will post major fail pics on monday

Last edited: