Show off ya Hilux!!

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
because my husband is a "Cruiser" man. Yeah his got his own cruiser ute, but this is the family car we should have brought years ago!!

Anyway it's light so it's nice and snappy but tends to want to drift on the gravel roads too easily, I guess the tires don't help that as well.
Very nice, I sold my landcruiser (tears :() and hope to get a Hilux sometime soon, just like yours. Watch that gravel road drifting, they do their infamous roll over when they catch at the end of that drift! Yeah, tyres with more tread would help, but those things are so light on the rear end it's hard to keep them straight :D

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
That's news to me.
Me too. HiAce/HiLux are both considered Light Commercial...think thats the only similarity I can think of. If it was a joke, it wasnt very funny.

...new suspension is on the wishlist...
Without sounding 'hardcore', have you considered Ranchos? My buddy has just fitted them to his Surf, mearly as a correction to its inherit sag, and improve handling and they have been wonderful (running RS9000Xs in the rear and the non-adjustable ones in the front). Cant really speak of longetivity as they havent been on very long but for what he paid, they are really good. Sits a little taller too without any serious suspention mods. He purchadsed them online.

We rock Koni Adjustables with XGS Springs on our 80 Series. The rear is way oversprung as we only really use the vehicle for towing...when its unloaded, it sits bum-high and handles pretty bad. :(

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice, I sold my landcruiser (tears ) and hope to get a Hilux sometime soon, just like yours. Watch that gravel road drifting, they do their infamous roll over when they catch at the end of that drift! Yeah, tyres with more tread would help, but those things are so light on the rear end it's hard to keep them straight
Bugger I didn't know they were prone to rolling over! It's kind of funny for a lady who's getting into DH riding and liking it I sure don't have an affinity for cars at even slight angles on 4x4 tracks - I'd rather be riding in most cases!! Oh well I've got the feel for the Lux so I can tell when to slow down around the corners, would hate to swerve for a roo on impulse though, the results would not be pretty I reckon!
It's funny I do a cleaning job in another town once a week and take a gravel rd as a bit of a shortcut to get there. I have noticed that having a full tank as opposed to 3/4 empty makes a noticeable difference to the handling too!

Without sounding 'hardcore', have you considered Ranchos? My buddy has just fitted them to his Surf, mearly as a correction to its inherit sag, and improve handling and they have been wonderful (running RS9000Xs in the rear and the non-adjustable ones in the front). Cant really speak of longetivity as they havent been on very long but for what he paid, they are really good. Sits a little taller too without any serious suspention mods. He purchadsed them online.

We rock Koni Adjustables with XGS Springs on our 80 Series. The rear is way oversprung as we only really use the vehicle for towing...when its unloaded, it sits bum-high and handles pretty bad.
I think ours still has the stock suspension on it, it was clean under when we brought it, seems like it was a landscape gardening mobs car, so done a lot of town k's I'd say. When I turn the steering full lock (L or R, can't remember which) the RHS tire rubs on the guard, so I'm thinking it's sagged on that side, I had to take the mud flap off which helps somewhat. Someone said it could be a matter of winding up the (IFS arm?), but we figured suspension should be due for replacement anyway.

Yes I've heard of Konis, but really I think our choice will be going to ARB or OL in Bunbury, OL was with the dearer Tuff Dogs but they sounded like they would cater for the cars light weight a lot better than ARB who offered the OME. We're not looking to carry any weight in it most of the time, maybe a load of wood now and then amongst other stuff you use a ute for, or camping trips when we eventually get back into it, other than that it will be mostly empty (and bikes hardly count!).
I would love to mix and match springs and shocks etc, do the research and go for say Lovells springs and Blistein shocks or something like that, but I don't think Hubby is keen to do the work and put it in himself at all.

New exhaust is on the wish list too, Hubby has a Taipan XP on his ute (no chip), and apart from putting checkerplate on his tray and making a snorkel and tire holder that's about all the mods he's done.
On the Lux we've just made the snorkel and put a bull bar on it. Got the dealer to throw in the rims & tyres:D Oh and we traded in a newish Subaru Forester for it!!!!

Here you go, I know it's a Lux thread but here is the other halfs car, he would cry if he had to sell it, it's an '05 HDJ79

It came with a wooden tray (and wood sides) which looked great, but the tray base warped badly when I washed my big carpet rug on it:D LOL. The checkerplate looks heaps better anyway!!

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Oh dear, NEVER DO LAUNDRY NEAR A LANDCRUISER!! They're just not made for it :D

Geez, nice tray on the cruiser, recessed custom wheel holder on the back and all.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Pebble, nice cruiser!

Cut the chassis and tray down, inject a lift kit and BEAST! :)

I love your HiLux too, although i think that snorkel is a bit of an eyesore.

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
i just put a 400wRMS 12" kicker sub in mine last night. i need to modify the box tho because it JUST doesnt fit behind the seat, for now its sitting on the back seats.

when i make a new box for it ill take some more pics.

also going out go ross n locke 4x4 track this saturday arvo so will probs take a few more pics.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Seeing as Surfs/4Runners are acceptable, here is my old 1985 2.4D 4Runner. It was my first car and served me well for 2 years (family has had it for 12 years). It's only recently been replaced by a 1990 75 series 4.0 3F Petrol Troopy.

Here are some pics of her in action (never did anything serious in this thing just bush tracks). Also put one up of my Troopy for good measure. Both are stock, except 4Runner has extractors and Troopy has recently got an UHF.

Attachments

s_govers01

Likes Dirt
the shuttle pig! shes been transporting the bikes around the country side for the last few years. complete with fooly sick white walls!!
bogged:

Loaded up:
wow. no offense but i bet one of those bikes is worth alot more than the car but then again, functionality is vital.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got my first car today im stoked:D Dont have my learners but will do in a 6 months:D first thing to go will be the silly canopy. oh and the flashing light is staying fo sho'

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ex fathers work car mate. hence the flashing work light. sorry forgot to mention. also they needed it out of the yard. and i got it early so i can do whats needed to be done to it.:D

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow. no offense but i bet one of those bikes is worth alot more than the car but then again, functionality is vital.
....that is a really stupid thing to say. For starters, I'd be inclined to say you're wrong. The Kato on the back would be worth more than alot of cars. What's the fucking point?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Me too. HiAce/HiLux are both considered Light Commercial...think thats the only similarity I can think of. If it was a joke, it wasnt very funny.

We rock Koni Adjustables with XGS Springs on our 80 Series. The rear is way oversprung as we only really use the vehicle for towing...when its unloaded, it sits bum-high and handles pretty bad. :(
Hey I've been doing some research, when you said Rancho I was thinking of Ironman!!
Anyway after a load of reading I'm kind of keen on EFS
The price is significantly cheaper, just a matter of finding someone to install... haven't read any bad reports on them either.
http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/493.html

poppa_johns

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive just been surfing beaututes again and ive decided im deffinatly getting a Lux, Still got a couple of months before i get my P's but id like to get a ute soon. So im still looking around cairns if anyones selling for under $15000 for a diesel 4x4 preferably 1993 upwards.

cheers
Jack

your better off get a 4.2 diesel GQ patrol ute for the same price the main benefit is the coils insted of leafs they ride so much better and flex way better, but make sure you get a coil one because they make both.