36 van rc2 lowered vs argyles

fr33ridemtb

Likes Bikes
heya
I am in need of some advice, my recently purchased jackal has a pair of 07 fox 36 van rc2's on it. I was thinking of either keeping these and lowering them to 100mm with the aid of spacers, or selling them and buying a set of argyle 318s.

What are your guys opinions on this? is there much difference strength wise(arches) for spins etc? what would be your choice??

any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

cheers

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
heya
I am in need of some advice, my recently purchased jackal has a pair of 07 fox 36 van rc2's on it. I was thinking of either keeping these and lowering them to 100mm with the aid of spacers, or selling them and buying a set of argyle 318s.

What are your guys opinions on this? is there much difference strength wise(arches) for spins etc? what would be your choice??

any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

cheers
keep the vans!!!!!!!!!!!!
stiffer and probably lighter with better performence... thats why they are more expensive

I_EAT_DIRT

Likes Dirt
+1 for keeping the Vans, Cam mccaul rides for Fox and hes does spins, flips and whips all day, so i think you'll be fine.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i thought you could only lower the floats with spacers and talas with there own system

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
i thought you could only lower the floats with spacers and talas with there own system
floats cannot be lowered im pretty sure, vans have springs so u can use spacers. talas's have travel ajust

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just using the spacers that are supplied with Floats does make
sense tho.

Anyone done this ???

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just adding spacers to a spring fork will add a shitload of preload and probably make the top out very harshly you need a shorter spring too if you do that

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
when i lowerd my dj2's i got a old spring out of my old dirt jam pros and cut it down and it does the trick

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any 2007 and later Van fork cannot be lowered. As mentioned the FLOATS all can and it's as simple as dropping your desired sized spacer under the top-out spring.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As Fat Ride said, 07 onwards Vanilla forks can't be lowered without modifying things. And you'd better know what you're doing before DIY lowering by cutting springs and making spacers... excessive preload, topout issues, misaligned springs wearing stanchions. All a possibility.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im pretty sure they can be lowered. heres proof
http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136009&highlight=lowering+van+rc2s
sounds like the vans are the way to go so far............
No they bloody well can't. Unless you've got the equipment to cut the spring, re-form it, heat treat it after that and grind it flush again (and I'll bet $1000 you don't) then they can't be lowered without making an absolute dog's breakfast of it. Just because someone can use Ms Paint does not mean it can be done.