Majura Fire trail - blocked

preemo

Likes Dirt
If you ride the fire trail from the Hackett gate to the top of the hill to enter Majura pines, there used to be a couple of side banks you could ride up (sort of like a quarter pipe).

These used to be fun to ride up and down on the way down the hill towards Hackett.

I rode there today and there are small branches dragged across both. Does anybody know anything about that?

I wondered if they've been done by irate walkers or something ..... if it had been officially done, it would have been done with more substantial trees and logs...... after all, the fire trail is legal to ride!

The_Master

Likes Dirt
The same happened on the small gap over the culvert about half way down. The lead in is continually covered with branches and logs. Just walkers (or is that wankers) who can't stand anyone having any fun. Maybe they were taken off the breast too early as a child ...

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Yep - this has happened a few times in the past. I think the fun nazi walkers (and residents of the area who think it is their backyard) take it upon themselves to close off these banks.

I'm not really sure if they have any merit in doing it as I doubt the erosion caused would be significant (it's certainly less than water would cause after a decent rainfall).

Oh well.

preemo

Likes Dirt
So from what I'm hearing, the next time someone rides past - just throw the little branches away and clear the bank.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
firetrail

I can't see the harm in moving the branches from those spots.

Only thing I would add is that it is evidence of low level conflict with other user groups, so if you come across the walkers and residents, try to stay on good terms cause it will make it easier in the long run to get access.

Still it is pretty annoying. I just reckon it is better to suck it up.

Sabotage on single track is dangerous. I reckon that is a different kettle of fish.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I hope this doesn't signify a worsening of the relationship between walkers and the MTB community. I've always got a civil response to my gasped "hi-how-ya-goan" when coming across walkers and runners in the area.
The purpetrators are probably just a minority.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
relationship walkers and riders

Hope things don't get worse too.

I literally say "hi" or "good morning" to every single walker I cam across around Mt Ainslie and Majura. The sometimes poor relationship b/t walkers and riders is a big driver of the complaints walkers etc make to government.

preemo

Likes Dirt
yeah, I agree. I also make it a point to greet and give way. Overall people are equally good back but a few are as sour as lemons.

Does anyone know how the impact of cyclists compares with walkers? I would surmise that riders pass an area quickly and their impact is limited to a defined track and a well designed and maintained track must have minimal impact?

Majura tracks don't all look well designed or maintained and parts have become quite rocky and eroded.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Good call with the friendly greeting - I always say "G'day" or "afternoon" when riding past walkers.

It's quite nice because until that's said they often look worried or unhappy but as soon as you make that contact they usually smile and return the greeting. We should all do it!

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know how the impact of cyclists compares with walkers? I would surmise that riders pass an area quickly and their impact is limited to a defined track and a well designed and maintained track must have minimal impact?

QUOTE]

I think the science is reasonable clear. On a a well designed trail, there is little difference. Have a look on the IMBA and MTBA sites to find some articles,

preemo

Likes Dirt
That was a good suggestion thanks. Quoting from the MTBA Policy on Mountain Bike Access to Natural Areas:

"Studies have demonstrated that on correctly designed narrow trails, mountain bike riding has a comparable impact as hiking3. The placement of a trail is more critical in controlling erosion than the type of activity, even low impact trail use. Mountain bike riders tend to remain on formed trails, as such, environmental impact is confined to the localized area of the trails and less vegetation and wildlife tends to be disturbed when compared to hikers"

The above paragraph referenced, "The Impacts of Mountain Bicycling – A summary of the Science", Donald W. Weir, Gary Sprung and Lee Adamson ed.

The link to the document is http://www.mtba.asn.au/cms/uploads/policies/mtbaaccesspolicy05.pdf

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good call with the friendly greeting - I always say "G'day" or "afternoon" when riding past walkers.

It's quite nice because until that's said they often look worried or unhappy but as soon as you make that contact they usually smile and return the greeting. We should all do it!
As someone who does a lot of walking as well I think a lot get surprised by the fast appearance of someone else on a bike while when you meet another walker its just gradual. It somehow breaks the solitude aspect of it. Hence why the friendly greeting usually makes everything all mellow again.

We have problems where I ride and its the usual sticks and logs of the track... some even pulled down some healthy tea trees over the paths. Can't understand the greeness of that.??! Also these people are dog walkers who then continue walking their dogs off leash into the National Park. Still I smile and say hello to everyone.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.

QUOTE]

I think the science is reasonable clear. On a a well designed trail, there is little difference. Have a look on the IMBA and MTBA sites to find some articles,
The biggest problem in the ACT is that the walking trails are not "well designed" and definitely not well designed and planned form the point of view of being sustainable under bicycle use. They are often fall line, they are poorly (if at all) armored, they have blind corners, they don't drain well.

Under cycling usage many of the trails erode badly either through compression or braking/skidding forces.

What we are working towards is a limited number of dedicated trails within the nature parks which are designed for cycling. They will be sustainable under cycling use and they will be enjoyable to ride. And, because they are approved for cycling, there should be no "you're naughty and you shouldn't be here" interactions with the more militant sectors of the walking/nature care fraternity.

Sparrow Hill and Stromlo are proof positive that properly built cycling trails will hold up under massive use, even in adverse conditions (do you have any idea how mindbuggeringly crap the soil at Stromlo is?).

On a good trail we do very little damage, the problem is what happens when we ride the trails currently in the CNP's

Last edited:

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
The biggest problem in the ACT is that the walking trails are not "well designed" and definitely not well designed and planned form the point of view of being sustainable under bicylce use. They are often fall line, they are poorly (if at all) armored, they have blind corners, they don't drain well.

Under cycling usage many of the trails erode badly either through compression or braking/skidding forces.
I hear you. Some of the trails around Mt Ainslie and Majura are reasonably well aligned. (ie they don't head straight down the fall line,) but plenty of trails are quite eroded because of their poor design. A few blind corners as well.

Riding to Majura (from my place in Campbell) is an exercise in temptation, but I try to keep my head down and just get there via the firetrails. Hard to keep pure though.

The_Master

Likes Dirt
More blockage

It only takes one bad apple...

This morning I found branches over one of the main "link" trails between the fireroads on the suburb side of the mountain under the powerlines. It was positioned in a fast/blind section of track so a rider couldn't stop. I jumped the first, but caught the second and went over.

Now I am covered in grazes down one side and bleeding all over the floor at work. Bent my rotor too!

F**ng dangerous! Why can't we have a knee jerk reaction and ban all walkers from the area because of one prick!

@#$%#$@#$

Rant over.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
shite

That is really crap. I know some of those corners are blind. Terrible to hear when people sabotage trails.

Depending upon which trail you were riding, I am pretty sure those trails are illegal for both walkers and riders. To me it is hypocritical and downright dangerous to do use these sort of guerilla tactics.

I might follow up my letter to TAMS with another... could you PM some unidentified photos of the injuries.

FR Drew - do you reckon it would be helpful (or unhelpful) to take this up with TAMS? Happy to work together.

Last edited:

The_Master

Likes Dirt
Update

Having returned to the scene this afternoon, I concede that on close inspection it is possible that the trunk, which was burned and dead, could have fallen across the track naturally. However, the top section of the tree, which had broken away, was sufficiently far from where I would have expected it to land to give rise to suspicions.

Overall, though, I may have overreacted in the heat of the moment. Just goes to show what all the little barbs and steely glares from walkers will lead us to think! :eek:

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
BC you are right, unmarked trails are ilegal for BOTH walkers and cyclists. Who is more wrong? Well neither should be there however placing objects on a trail with the express purpose of hurting someone is...well potentially attempted murdar (seriously). Not cool in anyones book. Similar things were happening circa 96 with logs and wire. There was some media about it then but not a lot happened and no one was caught

I have been riding the link trail for about 15 years now and I have not seen any changes (apart from the two southern gullies) to suggest that these trails should not be open to cyclists (and walkers) - and if the gully sections are a problem there are two very easly realignments that would fix them in about 8 man hours.

With the work going on with PCL and the development of an MOU I hope there will be a little more flexability in where we can and can not ride

Anyway, bottom line is that we all need to be aware, friendly but proactive. Oh and if there are blind corners think that if its not a log, it might be an older person, dog, kangaroo or something. On the "shared" trails (and I use the term loosely) we have to ride within control