How to build a DH track

Trenton

Likes Dirt
Sweet as thanks for that............................................FREESTYLE(something numbers) I see you have changed your name?

Anyway I found this great little single track really close with lots of berms and open areas for jumps. It's Perfect! Just it's next to a beach and has sand instead of dirt!

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
some north shore obstacles can be pretty sweet even if their not necessary like see saws and wooden berms, other than that great work

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its a concise and well written thread, which will help trail builders everywhere, however, I think a lot of it is common sense.

I'm building my own trail, and most of this I've followed except I think trees are ok to be used. I just today made a bridge out of a couple of trees, using them as rails, and a third I made supports out of. It saves stealing pallets, and seeing as the track is on my land a couple of trees, which you can't notice are gone until you are at that part in the track, wont hurt.

I know its a lot for you to make the thread covering all topics, obstacles, and techniques of trail building, I'd even say impossible, but I think this thread should be updated, with more info added now and then, to keep it fresh, don't you think?

This is all my opinion, I don't expect you to agree with it, I'm just putting it out there. Thanks, I think you're post is very good, and props for putting it out there for everyone to use.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I'm building my own trail, and most of this I've followed except I think trees are ok to be used. I just today made a bridge out of a couple of trees, using them as rails, and a third I made supports out of. It saves stealing pallets, and seeing as the track is on my land a couple of trees, which you can't notice are gone until you are at that part in the track, wont hurt.
First off, if its not your land cutting trees will cause problems, obviously in this case you are talking about your land.

If it is your land cutting trees can still result in issue if someone complains and you are in breach of the Council's Tree Preservation Order, or any CMA directives and policies. In the case that a tree forms part of an endangered ecological community, you may incur the wrath of DECC (in NSW).

Generally you won't get caught and the above scenario may be an over dramatisation but it can be an issue and there can be consequences even if it is your land. Something to be aware of before you go bananas with a chain saw.

I'm not a big fan of using trees (fallen or cut) as supports for any structure as they tend to rot in a relatively short time. We used trees at killingworth to support the XC bridges and time wise it wasn't much of a long term solution and they certainly weren't maintenance free.

Freeride Fred

Likes Bikes
also about the berms and stuff, if you cutting your track out of the side of a hill it would be okay to just make a big rut that is smooth and could be used as a berm. just cut a kind of rut or hole in a curved line and it will be heaps of fun drifting around it or stuff like that. it doesn't even have to be that deep.

sweet advice though and I will use it!!!:D:D:eek:

Nick Taylor

Likes Bikes
The local boys build some awesome DHTracks in our area of NE Vic and they always remember to make the track travel back up and cut in along the hill to extend the trail and fun!

Good point and great tips!

Excellent:)

Timbot

Likes Dirt
.I am a super keen trail buider with a question for the oracle if you would be kind enough to pass it on....generally spealing i only use wooden structures if nessecery but i cant understand why you say posts should not be dug into the ground??.the only reason i can think of for this reason is prehaps because of soil contamination for foreign materials being brought into a new envionment.As burying posts seems the best way to acheive a solid structure..I have read over the trail building guide (imba )and there is no mention of this.Cheers.

PetesAccount

Likes Bikes
Yea thats some good stuff buddie.

just dont do what we did and make the BOTTOM opf the track at the TOP of a huge hill soo mega depressing once yur at the bottom and still ahvw to walk up even further. the track was awsome but soon abandoned becuase of the trek up there.

wish i'd heard this stuff before!

dangaz

Squid
good tips

Thanks for the tips im currently building a down hill on my 30 acre block! on top of a mountain and have heaps of mint obstacles to use! ill use your info wisely! cheers buddy

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
posts dug into ground

.i cant understand why you say posts should not be dug into the ground??..
Did you ever get an answer on this? I have noticed the odd pallet dug into the ground to support a jump or support dirt. Seems like a pretty solid way to add some stability, although ofcourse it wont last forever however it should be good for several years.:confused:

simplesimon76

Likes Dirt
missed one golden rule

me and me mate built a wicked down hill/ free ride track south of brisbane, but the entrance was for all passer-bys to see. we didn't realise that the council would come along with bob cats and excavators to destroy it. our track made the local paper saying that we were a bunch of industrious kids who built it in the school holidays. we are in fact in our late 20's and early
30's and it took us 7 months to construct, and it was only about 75% fininshed. we both work full time and did it of an afternoon, fully erosion safe, the track flowed with the land. we had about 10 jumps ranging from 2 meter gaps to 9 meter step downs, rock gardens, switch backs, and had just about finished a 12meter creek crossing gap jump when all was destroyed. VERY SAD DAY. Point is, is that we were meeting riders all the time who were willing to help out, it was a great place to ride and to pick up a few new skills. i think we need more like this because it is a growing sport, coucils have to catch on soon that places like dasiy hill suit the cross country folk, but what about us poor DHer's who want to ride guilt free.:D

Making DH track

Adding concrete dust to jumps/drops is good, protects against erosion and hard to destroy, however make sure you make the jump perfect before putting the stuff on. Also fallen down logs around 15cm radius that are put together can help make drops(make sure they are secure though). An S-section on a trail can help make it feel longer aswell.

Great tips man, planning out a track on my computer tonight for me and my friend to build tomorrow, definetly considering your tips.

cheers.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
me and me mate built a wicked down hill/ free ride track south of brisbane, but the entrance was for all passer-bys to see. we didn't realise that the council would come along with bob cats and excavators to destroy it. our track made the local paper saying that we were a bunch of industrious kids who built it in the school holidays. we are in fact in our late 20's and early
30's and it took us 7 months to construct, and it was only about 75% fininshed. we both work full time and did it of an afternoon, fully erosion safe, the track flowed with the land. we had about 10 jumps ranging from 2 meter gaps to 9 meter step downs, rock gardens, switch backs, and had just about finished a 12meter creek crossing gap jump when all was destroyed. VERY SAD DAY. Point is, is that we were meeting riders all the time who were willing to help out, it was a great place to ride and to pick up a few new skills. i think we need more like this because it is a growing sport, coucils have to catch on soon that places like dasiy hill suit the cross country folk, but what about us poor DHer's who want to ride guilt free.:D
Moral of the story. Legal takes longer but it will be around for much longer. Don't waste your time building another illegal track. Go through the correct channels.