Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it that time of year already?

One of the most anticipated releases on the aussie beer calendar, every year I see the faithful circling and enquiring in hushed but feverish fashion whether 'it' is available yet.
The answer my friends is yes.

2009 (Brewers special No.8) Cascade First Harvest. 5.5%abv

I picked up my first case of this years batch today, sorry to those who wanted it but the first case that arrives at my store is all mine.:p

I have it chilling at the moment so no report as yet, it is however the 40th anniversary of Cascade's head brewer Max Burslem so I'm expecting alot from this one. Last year was a little sweet, I'm hoping this year is a little less so. No idea on the hops used either, last year were a little different so again it may change.

Pics and report to follow shortly. I can't wait.

This was worth waiting for, clear and coppery with a soft head. Delicious spicy hop aroma is a little understated. Full bodied and crammed full of green hops, it is quite bitter and has lush malt characteristics as well. I'll try for a few superlatives later but for now I'm just going to enjoy it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
One of the most anticipated releases on the aussie beer calendar, every year I see the faithful circling and enquiring in hushed but feverish fashion whether 'it' is available yet.
The answer my friends is yes.

2009 (Brewers special No.8) Cascade First Harvest. 5.5%abv

I picked up my first case of this years batch today, sorry to those who wanted it but the first case that arrives at my store is all mine.:p

I have it chilling at the moment so no report as yet, it is however the 40th anniversary of Cascade's head brewer Max Burslem so I'm expecting alot from this one. Last year was a little sweet, I'm hoping this year is a little less so. No idea on the hops used either, last year were a little different so again it may change.

Pics and report to follow shortly. I can't wait.
What's the story behind this? I love Cascade- is it ultra expensive? Can my limited student budget afford even one for myself?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the story behind this? I love Cascade- is it ultra expensive? Can my limited student budget afford even one for myself?
First Harvest is a green hop brew made for one day a year only, the hops are added as soon as they are harvested rather than going to the oast house for drying. This is the eighth release of this beer and it is pretty much always brilliant.
As for price, at Dan's it was $76.99 a case of 24*330ml bottles.

RCOH

Eats Squid
There's a VB in the back there somewhere.

;)

Hope you're keeping well Dave. We will have to ride or drink sometime soon!

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
First Harvest is a green hop brew made for one day a year only, the hops are added as soon as they are harvested rather than going to the oast house for drying. This is the eighth release of this beer and it is pretty much always brilliant.
As for price, at Dan's it was $76.99 a case of 24*330ml bottles.
Well, once I get paid I should be able to snare a sneaky sixer for me and the old man.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Paging the beer-sperts!

A couple of weeks back I picked up a sixpack of a James Squire beer, and really enjoyed it, but for the life of me I can't remember what the hell it was.

All I can remember is that it was a limited release, and that their trademark spiel on the label ended with something about "happiness".

Anybody know what it might have been?

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Paging the beer-sperts!

A couple of weeks back I picked up a sixpack of a James Squire beer, and really enjoyed it, but for the life of me I can't remember what the hell it was.

All I can remember is that it was a limited release, and that their trademark spiel on the label ended with something about "happiness".

My knowledge is limited, but there was a limited release "Sundowner Ale" for summer.

Zam

Likes Dirt
My knowledge is limited, but there was a limited release "Sundowner Ale" for summer.
Although my knowledge is also limited, I am pretty sure I have seen this "limited" release avaiable for the past 12mths........................I guess it must be summer somewhere:D:D:D

Makker

Likes Bikes
There's a similar beer from NZ called Monteith's Summer Ale and it is fuckin awesome. They're only made for three months of the year as they extract honey from native trees on the South Island West Coast to make it apparently. I have seen it in Dan Murphy's when it's "in season", and it's the best beer that's ever passed my lips - particularly after a successful pig-hunt...

wombat

Lives in a hole
I tried to find an image of the speil on that label with little success. It could have been the Sundown, but I'm not too sure.

C'mon Fatman, don't tell me you don't know the answer here!:)

Beerismyfriend

Likes Dirt
Paging the beer-sperts!

I reckon it would have read 'hoppiness'...

What was the colour of the label? All the JS gear is on parchment with a single dominant print colour; Amber ale is red, Porter black, Pilsener green, IPA maroon, Sundowner yellow, Golden ale orange.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I reckon it would have read 'hoppiness'..
Ah shit! Now you've gone and totally messed up what I thought I knew!:p

You're probably right though, my eyesight is rubbish, and apparently alcohol doesn't help fix it.
I thought the label was orange printing although it could also have been red or maroon (yeah I'm hopeless, I know). I am 99.9% sure it said Limited Release though...

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry Wombat, I've been away from my PC. Why?

For This.

2008 Matilda Bay Sebastian Reserve. 6% abv.

This one's a lovely dark wheat beer, five kinds of malt and noble Hersbrucker and Tettnang hops. I had it on draught at the Australian quite a while ago but I find that sometimes the bottled varieties can be richer and more diverse in flavour, I'll test that soon but at this price I'm in no hurry to drink them. I'll be laying them down for a while.
You can find them for about $17 each or $100 a six pack.

P.S. As for the Squire, Sundown Lager is more grassy than hoppy. I have the bottle in my collection somewhere but it may be with the ones boxed up in the shed. From memory there was something about crisp and refreshing, grassy and distinctive hoppiness. To me it was like a watered down Golden ale, not in a bad way, it was quite drinkable.

Attachments

wombat

Lives in a hole
That sounds like it, must've been the Sundown.

Ah well, guess I'll give the Golden a spin and see what she's like.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sounds like it, must've been the Sundown.

Ah well, guess I'll give the Golden a spin and see what she's like.
The Golden is one of our best selling Squires, it's a burnt orange colour with citrussy amarillo hops. It's a version of a very popular summer ale style brewed in the UK, it is very easy drinking but does have a bit of weight after a few. It's punchier than the Sundown which is light and refreshing, the Golden has more to it.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, see typically I'm not a huge beer drinker. I have no problem having one or two here and there, but too much in a sitting and I find it sits really heavy in me. I'll definately be trying some Golden though.