Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'll play.

This was Johnny's last pic; An Alekseyev 903 Lun.

Convair B-36H Peacemaker (yeah, you can see why...)

Handley-Page Victor (seen one of these in action...mental!)

DH Sea Vixen

And, for the thread winner, the Blackbird.

You can almost hear it...

Ryan

Radministrator
Loving this thread...let's try the good-old X-15.

Doesn't look too special, does it. Except for how it was. Rocket-powered, top speed of Mach 6.7, flown at altitudes exceeding 350,000 feet, had to be drop-launched from a converted B-52. Yeah, pretty much a giant missile with a pilot strapped in. So cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skG5ioabGVQ

Or how about the X-29 technology demonstrator for a super manoueverable forward-swept wing fighter aircraft? Enormously dynamically unstable, only capable of being controlled with the advent of multiple redundant computer controlled fly-by wire systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpSPAzzFwg

And of following on from POSM's giant, fast intercontinental bomber post how about the venerable B1-B Lancer, precursor of course to the B2 Spirit aka. the Stealth Bomber. Supersonic, variable sweep wing design again conceived of to drop nukes and huge conventional payloads on those pesky Russians although it didn't enter service until well into the 1980s. Still gets outings today when needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-01NRNK_BI

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Less aircrafts more random stuff!!! *edit* Sorry, Didnt notice the thread title :eek:

Worlds largest bucket wheel excavator. Basically it was created to chomp mountains. :eek:

The RWE Bagger 288 earth digger stands 311 feet tall, is 705 feet long and weighs 45,500 tons (the weight of the Titanic was 46,328 tons)
Being big, the Bagger 288 can only go one-third of a mile an hour on three rows of caterpillar track assembles. If it crosses a highway, as it has done on rare occasions, the roadway must be fully rebuilt as the sheer weight crushes the cement and anything else in its path.
It takes five people to operate it, and little wonder, as it has a 70-foot diameter bucket wheel. Each of its 20 huge buckets can scoop up over 530 cubic feet of material. It moves on 12 crawlers with tank-like treads. After all it is German. One of the buckets once picked up a large bulldozer by mistake.

http://technologydigest.blogspot.com/2007/04/worlds-biggest-excavator.html

Last edited:

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
It's Russian, of course. The Antonov an-225 is a biiiiig plane to say the least

Count 'em, five battle tanks.

You know how space shuttles are pretty big?

Yeah.

By the way- I heard that with the amount of fuel it takes to get a C-130 off the ground is equal to driving a small car around the world 32 times. Not sure how accurate the figure is, but woah.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few more Russian Giants

Antonov An-224 Mriya

Antonov An-124 Ruslan

And a precursor to the B2 Spirit- the YB-49

The record breaking Convair B-58 Hustler- the first supersonic bomber, also piloted by James Stewart.

Gotta find pics.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loving this thread...let's try the good-old X-15.

Doesn't look too special, does it. Except for how it was. Rocket-powered, top speed of Mach 6.7, flown at altitudes exceeding 350,000 feet, had to be drop-launched from a converted B-52. Yeah, pretty much a giant missile with a pilot strapped in. So cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skG5ioabGVQ

Or how about the X-29 technology demonstrator for a super manoueverable forward-swept wing fighter aircraft? Enormously dynamically unstable, only capable of being controlled with the advent of multiple redundant computer controlled fly-by wire systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpSPAzzFwg

And of following on from POSM's giant, fast intercontinental bomber post how about the venerable B1-B Lancer, precursor of course to the B2 Spirit aka. the Stealth Bomber. Supersonic, variable sweep wing design again conceived of to drop nukes and huge conventional payloads on those pesky Russians although it didn't enter service until well into the 1980s. Still gets outings today when needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-01NRNK_BI

To add to teh B1-B goodness, shot from the airshow, quite possibly the most insane and intimidating long range heavy duty bomber.

And ryan since you brought up the lovely Xplanes, and the grummon, what about the russian counterpart, much teh same, reverse swept wings, teh SU-47, very sexy aircraft.

Yep, the russians know hwo to do thier crazy shit

And for more, well i knwo this was an Xplane, but i'm almost sure is wasn't X-22, but the V-22 Osprey, one 'thinking out of the box' aircraft, impressive none the less.

*EDIT*

I forgot the flying engine :p

Mig-25 'Foxbat' Rediculously high flight ceiling (virging on space, much like the blackbird)

For the benifit of anyone who thinks the engines are just normal sized

And the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly, a truly mind blowing aircraft, so low the ordinates almost scrape the runway, and so fast and nimble.

Last edited:

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool thread, some of those planes are pretty interesting.
Continuing with simpsons pictures:

Ford Nucleon (nuclear powered car that never went into production for obvious reasons, theres a small nuclear reactor in the back!)

Not really an invention but thought it was interesting, abandoned, decomissioned plane fields, not sure on the location of this one.

and, the wild wacky action bike

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Mig-25 which was of course designed to intercept and shoot down the U2, Blackbird, Valkyrie, Vulcan and Lancer.

Mmmmm...arms race. Mmmmmmm...Cold War. :cool:
hell yeah! Haha arms races make for wicked aircraft :) if I get some spare money I'm buying me a ride in a foxbat. Hopefully if all goes well I'll he behind the controls of an f-35 and hopefully oneday an su-37 or 35 I'm easy haha, dreams and aspirations are wicked cool :).
Cool thread, some of those planes are pretty interesting.
Continuing with simpsons pictures:

Ford Nucleon (nuclear powered car that never went into production for obvious reasons, theres a small nuclear reactor in the back!)

Not really an invention but thought it was interesting, abandoned, decomissioned plane fields, not sure on the location of this one.

and, the wild wacky action bike
lol at the car! The aircraft deconstruction yard is called the boneyard and it's location escapes me, in the us, my mind says Edwards afb, but it's not it's elsewhere in the desert I'm pretty sure, it's an extrememly cool place, as a bit of trivia we bought our f1-11s from thre and that is where they shall return shortly :) along with the f-4 phantoms we borrowed while our f1-11s were being fixed up.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Genesis spar. GOM. I was almost going to POSM up on the Thailf until I remembered the s7000 only had 2 7000t cranes. Man those are huge.

Some of those russian aircraft are absolutely insane.

Nothing still comes close to the spruce goose, not even the Antonov 225.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually out of the large aircraft the spruce goose is by far the shortest, but it still has the largest wing span, not bad for something built predominantly out of wood.

bazza

look at me

Genesis spar. GOM. I was almost going to POSM up on the Thailf until I remembered the s7000 only had 2 7000t cranes. Man those are huge.

Some of those russian aircraft are absolutely insane.

Nothing still comes close to the spruce goose, not even the Antonov 225.

wtf is that?