VIC Lysterfield Park

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Hey does anybody know who is responsible for the trail building at Lysterfield Park? Im curious to the planning and instruction given to such building in reference to the dig done at the far end of trail 02 yesterday morning?
If your out that way, check it out?

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Lysterfield

I rode out that way on Sunday and have a few observations.

The Trailmix Cafe is sensational and the chocolate scone I had post ride was perfect.

The same cant be said for the condition of the trails or the current methods used to maintain them.

I think that whilst the crew out there are to be applauded for organizing maintenance works the quality, methods and materials really need to be looked at. Lysterfield is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success. Brad and the crew need to read all they can (see the trail maintenance thread stickys here) and put it too use. Enviromatting is your friend and rock armoring every corner in most cases only speeds up water flow and causes more erosion...

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

trav

Likes Dirt
I rode out that way on Sunday and have a few observations.

The Trailmix Cafe is sensational and the chocolate scone I had post ride was perfect.

The same cant be said for the condition of the trails or the current methods used to maintain them.

I think that whilst the crew out there are to be applauded for organizing maintenance works the quality, methods and materials really need to be looked at. Lysterfield is in danger of becoming a victim of its own success. Brad and the crew need to read all they can (see the trail maintenance thread stickys here) and put it too use. Enviromatting is your friend and rock armoring every corner only speeds up water flow and causes more erosion...

Just my $0.02
Totally agree.

They have the best of intentions and should be applauded, but unfortunately they are not learning from thier mistakes and are just creating more work for themselves in the long run.

Wooly

Likes Dirt
the trails aren't in that bad condition, i mean, from what i have ridden they're quite good, but im not an expert in keeping XC trails in good condition.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
If you arent maintaining it dont complain (behind their back) about the quality of the work that they are doing. Put your money where your mouth is and spend some of your time building and maintaining the trails. Until I wont even bother telling you where to stick your $0.02 cents.

Check out the Trailmix website for details on how you can help make the trails better and not just flap your gob.

If you were out riding on Saturday (and prob Sunda) I dare say that you shouldnt have been. The trails are bad because of the number of riders that use them after it has rained causing soft spot, erosion and trail creep. If it is wet dont ride.

Brad and the others are volunteers and should be applauded for spending their riding time doing maintenance while the other 98% of riders do bugger all.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
VicParks are the park manager there. If you are keen for a DH track there I would suggest firstly talking to the guys at Trailmix first they would have a good idea of the background and any politics involved.

I am doubtful of a DH track there cos ideally you would want a shuttle road (asphalted) which Lysterfield doesnt have. Also there isnt much drop there and safety is ways a prob with VicParks.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
lysterfield mtb tracks

Guys,

There are only about 4 consistant volenteers at any of these trail days.
I am one of them! The problem is that the majority of people that i hear are either races or newbies. I am neither!

Please if you want DH trails (i do) then get out there and get in the people who ears counts. I often find i'm the only one saying "hey guys thats enough tight corners, how about a track thats fast!" or " how about a little table top"

There are plans in the works for good trails, there are the hills there to do it, but last weekend there was a trail maintance day and there were only 7 people and saturday and only 2 people volenteering on sunday!

We have to do something about the existing trails first before we can put in anything new (and they have to be family friendly), but with only 4 volenteers we can only get very little done!

I'm consantly harrasing trailmix and parksVic for new trails i have many great ideas but, i'm up against it because people like you don't voice your opinion to the right people.

I'm sorry for this rant, but when i see a thread like this it really irratates me.

If you want information on how to help e-mail me @ ando_assi@yahoo.com.au

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
I am doubtful of a DH track there cos ideally you would want a shuttle road (asphalted) which Lysterfield doesnt have. Also there isnt much drop there and safety is ways a prob with VicParks.
I disagree. I spent yesterday at Black Hill in Ballarat, doing push-up runs on some extremely fun little tracks. You don't need a big elevation gain or a shuttle road, as long as you're not expecting a WC course.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Speak to Rob at Trailmix. I believe he's involved in what happens there now. They have monthly working bees and there's a core group who are regularly involved.

What is happening at Lysty these days is so much better, especially since Trailmix was set up. The place has come to life again.

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
Throw a match at it and do it properly

I ride Lysterfield regularly and find the tracks are usually of great standard. However I work nearly every weekend which suits me fine. Too many Jockeys get out on weekends, too much lycra, too much NO IDEA.
I ride midweek and generally I'm lucky to pass the odd weirdo solo walker who suddenly change direction and generally are acting quite strange??

As for not riding after rain or when it has been wet???? I sort of understand your point but you've honestly got know idea..... at ALL have you?

Why is it left to Trailmix & volunteers to maintain the tracks? That is a huge cop out.

Who ever has been changing the route of the blair witch trail back and fourth I hope you're happy with the complete pig stye you've created, what a joke and for what reason?

There are so many trails at Lysterfield, if you are in the know! Speak with people of Rob Eva's era and they'll tell you just how many tracks are there. The tracks I speak of are right under your nose, even the animals use them.
The only difference between animals and weekend warriors is I give way to animals... rant rant rant

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
all this talk!!! it was a trail day this past weekend there were 5 people on Sat and just 2 on sunday(all people i ride with) Where are all you people???

You cannot expect anything done if no-one is willing to help out.

I cannot understand how any one who rides lysterfield on a regular basis (and there are Hundreds of you people) can keep going with out volenteering? This place gets heaps of people every day, thats the reason it is in such a state, its because you ride it and don't volenteer, if there was a huge volenteer force then there would be heaps done and the trail would be awesome.

There is a trail weekend the last weekend of every month.

Rob can be hassled into going out any friday arvo (its posted on trailmix as every friday).

So there are no excuses.

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
Rob can be hassled into going out any friday arvo (its posted on trailmix as every friday).

So there are no excuses.
Well, I fronted last Friday, took a day off work to do it too. Guess what? No trail building.

I should probably have called and checked I guess, but I didn't want to talk it up on the chance I would have to cancel.

C'est la vie. At least I got a ride in :)

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
all this talk!!! it was a trail day this past weekend there were 5 people on Sat and just 2 on sunday(all people i ride with) Where are all you people???
This is an issue faced by trail networks and MTB clubs everywhere.

You cannot expect anything done if no-one is willing to help out.
Most riders do :)

So there are no excuses.
oh plenty of excuses, most of them incredibly piss poor though :) All riders could give up 3 or 4 ride days a year to help out, or squeeze 3 or 4 days out of another activity but can't be bothered.

adaib

Likes Dirt
If you arent maintaining it dont complain (behind their back) about the quality of the work that they are doing. Put your money where your mouth is and spend some of your time building and maintaining the trails. Until I wont even bother telling you where to stick your $0.02 cents.

Check out the Trailmix website for details on how you can help make the trails better and not just flap your gob.

If you were out riding on Saturday (and prob Sunda) I dare say that you shouldnt have been. The trails are bad because of the number of riders that use them after it has rained causing soft spot, erosion and trail creep. If it is wet dont ride.

Brad and the others are volunteers and should be applauded for spending their riding time doing maintenance while the other 98% of riders do bugger all.
True That!!! Only complain if your part of the solution. From what i've seen there really really good. Maybe a better solution is to just not ride it in the wet, then you have nice rocky corners and no ruts

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Good to see the encouragement re the working bees. Most important that people do turn up for these. The more numbers, the more work that gets done. And it's a great way to get to know the other riders and make new friends at the same time - especially those that might ride at different times to you.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to put on my flame suit here and say a few things, may not be neccessary but I'll say them none the less.

It's one thing to jump on here and say "do this" or "change that" or "build a dh track" but just as annoying are the people who say "you have no right to comment unless you help out" or "volunteer yourself". Shits me to tears. And, yes, it will always be the minority of builders who create what the majority of riders use, it's the same in all aspects of life, so many lazy mofo's out there who never do a thing but whinge.

To be brutally honest the standard of trail building at Lysterfield is terribly below par, clearly no one has bothered to go out and purchase the bible of single track construction and the most basic of trail building guidlines, IMBA's book "Trail Solutions" (available here with lots of other useful info as well ). So many basic errors are made out there by who I'm not 100% sure but if it is the Trailmix guys then they need to have a serious look at how it is done properly. I mean what is/was the purpose of that 300m raised rock/scoria path on the flat ground ( no idea what the trail is called ), it rides like shite and serves no purpose that I can see, what a huge waste of time and effort IMO. I don't think I've ever seen a properly constructed drainage point out there or even a decent berm, more likely a couple of sticks on the side of the track with a bit of dirt kicked over them...

Now take the Youies for example, all this talk about "there is only 5 of us" and "we can't do it on our own", well here is a properly constructed quality MTB venue built by a core group of 4 or 5 guys with fuck all help from any "volunteers". The are not on here whinning about the lack of help, they just get out there all the time and create quality single track for us to ride on. TBH, all inexperienced volunteers do is get in the way as they have no feel or experience in building ( yes, we all start somewhere so if your keen then get amoungst it ) which means they need to be guided and managed the whole time which just takes time away from the people who actually need to be concerntrating on what they are doing. Most times a crew of 5 experienced trail builders is way better and more efficient than a crew of 20 with 15 dirt kickers standing around looking for something to do who regularly need to be guided, too hard really.

The moral of this story is the standard of trail building at Lysterfield is not up to scratch, it could be so much better, someone from there should go to the Youies or Forrest or even further to Canberra for that matter, ride Sparrow Hill or Stromlo and look at how the Pros build, take some notes, learn what works and what makes a good trail, maybe even by a book or two and rethink the way they do things. Some trails at Lysty do work and ride really well but a hell of a lot don't flow or drain or excite at all.

Now before you goons say "well, why don't you go and help out smart arse", my priority lies in building DH trails, I have put in more than 30 full days this year alone trail building with a small crew of 3 others. We reap what we sow, we ride what we create. I have also spent the best part of the last 2 years working behind the scenes with Kinglake Parks Vic to create a completely new facility in that area as well so as far as I'm concerned my concience is very clear.

Last edited: