Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a trap for young players, most start out going hard and just getting written off too quickly. Eating is certainly not cheating, some fresh bread is essential to clean your palate between beers and some cheese etc helps too.

The pace is usually two to three an hour if you have the time, sure you can go faster but if you want to appreciate the beer then you have to give it time. Start from the lightest in flavour to the strongest, this may not necessarily be in terms of colour, style or alcohol content. This can be a challenge if you haven't tried the beer before or don't know what it is like.

I may be overstepping the mark but please let me know when you plan on doing this, as someone seasoned in beer appreciation:D I could possibly provide some valuable tips? And if all else fails another day/afternoon of hitting the beverages is never a bad thing.

As for mounting the bottles, I suggest having a few beers and thinking it over.

scblack

Leucocholic
I am thinking 10 a day will be too many for a young fella. Don't get me wrong there, 10 a day is too much for me generally unless I am in the right mood, or my head needs beer vitamins. I also bloat and can't stomach too many beers sometimes - beyond 8 is doing very well for me.

For 10 days in a row that becomes worse too.

scblack

Leucocholic
The pace is usually two to three an hour if you have the time, sure you can go faster but if you want to appreciate the beer then you have to give it time. Start from the lightest in flavour to the strongest, this may not necessarily be in terms of colour, style or alcohol content. This can be a challenge if you haven't tried the beer before or don't know what it is like.
I pace myself best at one each half hour, that lets me not get too pissed. If I have a LONG day ahead starting at morning to late hoursI will have the first two or three one per hour to get a slower, steady start.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
I am thinking 10 a day will be too many for a young fella. Don't get me wrong there, 10 a day is too much for me generally unless I am in the right mood, or my head needs beer vitamins. I also bloat and can't stomach too many beers sometimes - beyond 8 is doing very well for me.

For 10 days in a row that becomes worse too.
That's what I'm worried about. I mean, in the schoolies spirit being pissed the entire time is a prerequisite, but killing myself is going too far. Starting at 11 in the morning to 3 in the morning, that's 14 hours, with fatty food in between I think it's doable. I know I went way over my limit with 9 in 2 hours with no food so that's completely out of the question.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see where you are coming from, don't be a hero, if you don't feel like it don't do it. I can get through a 'number' of bevvies but it does take its toll, it isn't healthy to back up that many days in a row or to get very munted in one sitting. As interpol said 'The Pace is the trick', just enough but not too much. We all have large sessions but attempting something that will potentially turn you off beer, unthinkable.
Trying to back up day after day is harder than it seems, scblack probably expressed what I was trying to say a bit better, the pace starts differently to how it finishes.
Any more pointers and I might use the pm system, we may be getting a little distracted from topic? I'll mull it over with another dozen Hoegaarden, I love Sunday arvo.;)

Mays86

Likes Bikes
Anything james squires! There golden ale is awsome i have never ever had anything as good as it

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tooheys Extra Dry, in my fridge?

Wonders will never cease, TED in my fridge, mind you it is the new

Tooheys Extra Dry 5 Seeds 5%abv, a very clear cider under the same name as one of my least favourite beers.

I'm by no means saying this is life changing cider, it is actually pretty ordinary but it is crisp, bitey and easy drinking and will be seen soon at a party near you being thrown up by your mates girlfriend. It reminds me of all the white ciders that came out around ten years ago minus a few percentage points of alcohol.
At the moment it's about $15 a six pack and $40something a case. Try it if you must but there are far better ciders out there.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I've been drinking this week. I'm kinda OCD about beers in tinnies, I like them.

Cisk was pretty damn drinkable. Just your typical golden lager. Didn't have any extreme flavours as it went through the pallets. The can itself is a tad small, I found myself finishing it pretty quickly at a sipping rate. Standard alc/vol at 4.2%. Wouldn't say it's worth the price, If I remember correctly it was something around the $2.50 mark @ St.Kilda taverns.

Zywiec, on the other hand is a super-strong tasting beer. This 500mL tall-can tasted alot different to the bottled one I had a couple weeks ago @ Borsche on Chapel. Fairly strong drop at 5.6% too, so a few of these and I'd be on my arse. I was really impressed with the can itself too, with cleverly placed indentations around key graphics on the can, nice one Zywiec. All in all, not a bad drop from Polands' finest.

I have a Carlsberg Special Brew sitting downstairs, I'm saving that one for later. Here I was thinking Elephant was the strongest that carlsberg put out, little did I know about this Special Brew. 9% and 4.5 standard drinks, should be a good kick-start for my Thursday evening.

Attachments

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely not the best quality beer around but in terms of value for money the shipstone's amber ale from aldi is pretty hard to go past.

I'm not sure i would go quite as far as to call it a proper amber ale but it is very drinkable. slightly lacking in flavour compared to other simialr style beers but i doubt you'd find better value at $10 for a 6-pack. shame about the euro stubbie.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I have a Carlsberg Special Brew sitting downstairs, I'm saving that one for later. Here I was thinking Elephant was the strongest that carlsberg put out, little did I know about this Special Brew. 9% and 4.5 standard drinks, should be a good kick-start for my Thursday evening.
Fark me. That's proper tramp juice! Tastes like paint stripper. Horrible, horrible stuff. We call it (and it's similar strength colleague Tennents Super) 'Electric Soup' For similar strength ales you can do a hell of a lot better i.e Duvel, Chimay, Lucifer and my personal favourite Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde

Ryan

Radministrator
Fark me. That's proper tramp juice! Tastes like paint stripper. Horrible, horrible stuff. We call it (and it's similar strength colleague Tennents Super) 'Electric Soup' For similar strength ales you can do a hell of a lot better i.e Duvel, Chimay, Lucifer and my personal favourite Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde
In Canada you can get Unibroue for the same price as any of the other micro-brewers, so $13-15 for a six-pack of La Fin Du Monde.

Nothing constructive to add, just bragging. :D

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
I picked up a 6 pack of Coopers Pale in Chicago for US $7.99!!!??? WTF that's cheaper than we get it. bloody great find after 6 weeks on the trot on site in yankee-land. First time I've ever drank a bottlo out of a beer, they only had 3 6-packs.
They also had sparkling and stout. I'm sure there's two steak and eggs in every bottle of the stout.

On a side note, thank fuck CUB didn't make Victoria Draught, we'd have been drinking VD :D

scblack

Leucocholic
Newsflash!:eek:

CUB has dropped the alcohol content of VB to 4.6%. I read this on SMH yesterday.

Not that I particularly care, but it is going to be a mid-strength soon.

I imagine they are doing this to reduce alcohol excise tax due to the lower ABV level. Keep carton prices down for the slobs who drink this stuff.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Newsflash!:eek:

CUB has dropped the alcohol content of VB to 4.6%. I read this on SMH yesterday.

Not that I particularly care, but it is going to be a mid-strength soon.

I imagine they are doing this to reduce alcohol excise tax due to the lower ABV level. Keep carton prices down for the slobs who drink this stuff.
I heard they did it a while ago, and it it would end up saving them a couple of mil. a year or some ridiculous number like that.

Out of all the cheap shit, I dont mind it out of a stubby (Cans ruin the taste); But I still rather the New........

I got some Boag's draught downstairs waiting, not bad, but nothing really special......

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
They sure do, 6% Doppelbock.
And now it's in MY BELLY! "Brewed to provide nourishment..." indeed. I'm getting well nourished with this 6%er and rate it highly after my second. We may see Captain not-so-Sensible emerge from these wintery amber bottles tonight.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Thankyou Bridge Road Brewery for an enjoyable night- brought home a mixed 6 to sample with a mate when I visted a few weeks back. All products are highly recommended, as I've said before, especially the IPA and the Porter. Top stuff.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Coopers Sparkling Ale

My beer sampling experience is minimal to say the least, but I think I'm onto a winner. My mate's can have all the Corona + lemon they want, I'll never be convinced....