2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Rat

Likes Dirt
It has just been announced they are looking into hosting the World 24hr solo here in Australia.

I would love to enter (Dream on) but as a shift working, family man, in isolated Tassie I'm thinking getting to a qualifying event and then the race will mean two expensive trips with support and heaps of gear.

It seems details are sparse, but if I were to do it I would need to be organised now, to book holidays etc.

Does anyone know which events will be used for qualifiers? and when they are on?

I would enter in the Masters, is qualifying for that less strict? I came 2nd in a 24hr solo race in March (Kellevie 24) but that wouldn't be an officially recognised event. Would that be enough to qualify for Masters? I'm hoping the age groups would be easier to enter than Elite.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
It has just been announced they are looking into hosting the World 24hr solo here in Australia.
Yep - about 3 weeks ago in post #109. Canberra and SE QLD are the contenders. Expect a decision to be announced mid September.

Does anyone know which events will be used for qualifiers? and when they are on?
Not yet. I expect it will be related to which race gets the gig as the World Champs.

I would enter in the Masters, is qualifying for that less strict? I came 2nd in a 24hr solo race in March (Kellevie 24) but that wouldn't be an officially recognised event. Would that be enough to qualify for Masters? I'm hoping the age groups would be easier to enter than Elite.
The qualifying conditions are set by Twenty4Sports. From the Scott last year, if you did > 75% of the number of winning laps for your sex you qualified for Elite, and if you did > 50% of the number of winning laps for your sex you qualified for age-group. So, if the winning male did 20 laps and:
. you did 17 laps - you qualify for Elite
. you did 12 laps - you qualify for Age-Group
. you did 7 laps - you don't qualify

If CORC gets the gig, then we are planning to propose multiple qualifying races around the country, with some degree of proportional representation. So, you might not have to travel at all to qualify :)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If CORC gets the gig, then we are planning to propose multiple qualifying races around the country, with some degree of proportional representation. So, you might not have to travel at all to qualify :)
That is a great idea.
Would certainly be good to have some qualifiers where long travel and the associated expense is not needed.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Grandfather...

I'm hoping to get in based on the grandfather clause... though may still do a 24 before it but that whole "just in case" thing...

Hopefully they will still be offering it next year :/

Cheers
Gonz

Rat

Likes Dirt
Thanks very much for the detailed reply Le Matelot, I will keep an eye out for more news from you in the near future :)

Bodin

GMBC
Keen as mustard. Training has begun. I'll be 35 by the time this starts, so I guess that makes me a veteran?

Le Matelot

I would enter in the Masters
I'll be 35 by the time this starts, so I guess that makes me a veteran?
The 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solos Champs has more age categories than we traditionally see run in the Australian races. For example, at the Scott, its Solo Open, Solo 40+ or Solo Single Speed.

At the Worlds, it is Male and Female in each of these categories:
Elite
Single Speed
U25
25-29
30-34
35-39
40-44
45-49
50-54
55-59
60+

Have attached the 2009 World Champs results if you want to check out the number of riders in the categories. Not many in some of the categories.

The scary thing about the graphical results, is how smooth the curves are for the top riders - consistency wins, apparently.

Attachments

Le Matelot

Must be soon?
Last thing I heard was that it would be announced at Interbike (which is 21-25 Sep from memory). I haven't heard anything in terms of advance notice - so don't ask, the magazine editors have already tried :)

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing yet...

From Twitter (WSC24): We have 2 very good but different bids, needing to talk with both groups once more. #wsc24

Come on, make a decision already!

Rat

Likes Dirt
Yeah I need to know which events will be qualifiers, a workmate is holding back booking his holidays to fit in with me and I can't even tell him if he's wasting his time or not.