Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

wootown

Likes Dirt
hey guys
i was just wondering what is the best free anti virus software that i could download for my apple imac
cheers

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys
i was just wondering what is the best free anti virus software that i could download for my apple imac
cheers
I had Virus Barrier and Net Barrier from Intego Software. Real time scanning.. never found a thing for a year. So I got rid of it.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
So I'm about to go buy a macbook pro 15". Im pretty much decided on the entry level 15" model as the only difference I can see with the next one up (apart from $300 usd) is that it has slightly faster processor, a better video card, and a larger (320gb vs 250gb I think) hdd. Meanwhile it has better specs (faster processor, more and faster memory, bigger hdd, aluminium case) than the white macbook and is only $300 more.

Is there any compelling reason to spend $300 extra to get the next 15" macbook pro up? Its USD $1999 + tax vs USD $1699 + tax

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would go for the higher up model.^^^ faster memory is everything, the better graphics and processor will help if you are doing multimedia. People will say the bigger hard drive is the best thing ever, but I dont really have any space problems.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
So I'm about to go buy a macbook pro 15". Im pretty much decided on the entry level 15" model as the only difference I can see with the next one up (apart from $300 usd) is that it has slightly faster processor, a better video card, and a larger (320gb vs 250gb I think) hdd. Meanwhile it has better specs (faster processor, more and faster memory, bigger hdd, aluminium case) than the white macbook and is only $300 more.

Is there any compelling reason to spend $300 extra to get the next 15" macbook pro up? Its USD $1999 + tax vs USD $1699 + tax
What are you using it for? Obviously buy the best you can afford, but if you don't think you'll ever really be pushing the 15" pro, then the $300 could stay in your pocket. You don't really need to future-proof macs as much as PC's.

skivi

Likes Dirt
i have a bit of an odd problem, whenever i'm looking through podcasts in iTunes and i click on the little information icon in the podcasts description it launches a pop-up like display of the episodes description but i can't figure out how the hell to get rid of it, if you look at the screen grab below you'll see there's no close, minimise or maximise buttons and the only way i can get this small window to go away is by Quiting iTunes completely, minimising iTunes leaves the description pop up on top of any other windows.

help?

Attachments

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Not sure why its popping up like that in the first place, someone else might be able to help with that. But to save quitting iTunes all the time, you can just hit "Cmd - W" to close the Podcast Info window.

Normally going to the Window > Zoom menu and clicking it while holding down the Option key resets the window position, but trying that in iTunes only does it for the main window not the Podcast Info window, so sorry, can't help you there skivi.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
appears that you have opened this info window on a bigger display and the window title bar is trapped above the menu bar.

you could try using the "gather windows" option in the display preference pane. not sure how useful that would be though.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Why is that? they use the same components as pcs.
Until the next generation of Macbooks/Macbook Pro is released (18 months or so?), and even for a couple of years after that I'd imagine, the Macbook Pro he's planning on getting will still be able to handle all the software released for the Mac range- Apple doesn't generally try to outstrip their consumers really quickly with new releases. As I said though, it depends on what he's doing- lots of graphics work, rendering etc. and he should go the more expensive model.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Until the next generation of Macbooks/Macbook Pro is released (18 months or so?), and even for a couple of years after that I'd imagine, the Macbook Pro he's planning on getting will still be able to handle all the software released for the Mac range- Apple doesn't generally try to outstrip their consumers really quickly with new releases. As I said though, it depends on what he's doing- lots of graphics work, rendering etc. and he should go the more expensive model.
oh yeah thats a good point.

skivi

Likes Dirt
appears that you have opened this info window on a bigger display and the window title bar is trapped above the menu bar.
mmm. you are correct, it was unintentional.

elbow 'apple + W' closes the podcast display window so at least now i can get rid of it, thanks. love this thread.

Battler

Likes Dirt
It so true though, Microsoft make you buy a whole new running system and flock customers over and over for new upgrades. Alteast with mac you can just update as you go. As well as making the new software they release compatible with old models. Basically all they have done is looked at microsoft and said whats sucks about it, corrected these problems made a better looking, more functional computer. My Pc shuts down in 6 mins, my mac 14 seconds flat. Never looked back. (personal opinion of course)

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It so true though, Microsoft make you buy a whole new running system and flock customers over and over for new upgrades. Alteast with mac you can just update as you go. As well as making the new software they release compatible with old models. Basically all they have done is looked at microsoft and said whats sucks about it, corrected these problems made a better looking, more functional computer. My Pc shuts down in 6 mins, my mac 14 seconds flat. Never looked back. (personal opinion of course)
however upgrading hardware is not as easy as on a pc both have there good points and bad points lets not get into a fight over which is superior.

I have never had an update from microsoft saying i had to buy a new pc, upgrades are optional my 5 year old laptop still runs all my programs fine i never had to buy a new one to use the latest update.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
What are you using it for? Obviously buy the best you can afford, but if you don't think you'll ever really be pushing the 15" pro, then the $300 could stay in your pocket. You don't really need to future-proof macs as much as PC's.
Thats going through my head at the moment. Ended up not able to get it last night, but going today after work.

Realistically 95% of the time its going to be doing stuff I could do on my 5 year old desktop PC back home. The other 5% will be some gaming, sound recording and photo editing / some occasional movie editing.

Ill probably go the regular one and save $300 I think.

Battler

Likes Dirt
however upgrading hardware is not as easy as on a pc both have there good points and bad points lets not get into a fight over which is superior.

I have never had an update from microsoft saying i had to buy a new pc, upgrades are optional my 5 year old laptop still runs all my programs fine i never had to buy a new one to use the latest update.
i to agree not to enter into the superior fight. The update i get from microsoft isnt so much the you need to buy a new pc, its the pc going well ive done my year, goodbye battery, motherboard, memory and anything else with a breakage timer on it. But then again it was a trashiba (toshiba). Personal opinion after using both extensivly i would never look back to a pc.