Electric Guitar

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Sounds awesome Joy!

A good player could make anything sound awesome though.

I used to have latency until I started using my Toneport as the direct source rather than a VST plugin. Now it's latency free, and sounds not bad.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Thanks for that Joy & LJohn, I'm using a 1/4" jack to USB and using Apple Logic Express software. Might have a fiddle around with the settings in Logic Express to sort out this latency problem.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Cable straight from the lineout of my amp into my soundcard. I use Cubase 5

What are your thoughts on V5?

I used 4 and really didnt like it - although I loved earlier versions of Cubase (VST32 and the Sx series). I dont have any recording software at the moment and its doing my head in! I just dont want to fork out $$$ on software that I dont end up liking... kinda hard though as the onlyreal way to know is to try it out!

In any case, can you share your thoughts so far?

Joy

Likes Dirt
What are your thoughts on V5?

I used 4 and really didnt like it - although I loved earlier versions of Cubase (VST32 and the Sx series). I dont have any recording software at the moment and its doing my head in! I just dont want to fork out $$$ on software that I dont end up liking... kinda hard though as the onlyreal way to know is to try it out!

In any case, can you share your thoughts so far?
It is hard to get used to. It's my first time with Cubase and the only reason I went with it was because I didn't want to fork out extra for digidesign hardware and because my soundcard is already awesome.

Honestly, I'd wait for the price to drop and for all the bugs to be ironed out. Cubase uses a lot of it's own funny symbols and menus that make navigation really hard at first. There's a few crippling bugs at the moment that are giving people (myself included) the shits. Should be fixed within the next few patches though I'd say. Then Cub5 should be the best program on the market. I can't wait to get my head around it and use it to it's full potential

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I run my electric guitar straight into my mac using an adapter. Garageband has a bunch of different amps and pedals to model with which is heaps of fun. Recording quality is also pretty decent (on a brand new macbook pro.. dont know what soundcard that has), def good enough for my messing around and much much better than what I used to get on my old pc (though in fairness the soundcard on that was pretty lowend) so Im happy.

Incidently, (and I know this is a guitar thread, but seems like a good place to ask) can anyone recommend a good cheapish USB midi controller? I dont have the need for a full size controller, but a half size one (49 keys?) would be perfect. I dont know how to play, but I'd like to learn.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that Joy & LJohn, I'm using a 1/4" jack to USB and using Apple Logic Express software. Might have a fiddle around with the settings in Logic Express to sort out this latency problem.
This may be way out but have you checked the buffer settings in logic express? I know garageband has a couple settings, smaller buffer to remove latency and larger buffer to allow more tracks or something like that.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Incidently, (and I know this is a guitar thread, but seems like a good place to ask) can anyone recommend a good cheapish USB midi controller? I dont have the need for a full size controller, but a half size one (49 keys?) would be perfect. I dont know how to play, but I'd like to learn.
I use a M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard which I got for $100 (on sale). It's only a 25 key model but there are other models with more keys. I have found it to be pretty good (i'm just learning too). Can connect via USB or MIDI and power off batteries or USB. Definitely check out what M-Audio has to offer.

This may be way out but have you checked the buffer settings in logic express? I know garageband has a couple settings, smaller buffer to remove latency and larger buffer to allow more tracks or something like that.
Thanks frostbite, I think I know what option you're talking about. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I've hit a snag guys.

I'm 4 songs through what I'm planning to be a 5 song EP, and if I'm ever going to keep recording, I will want drums. Any suggestions on a good MIDI drum program? I don't really have the time and money to buy a digital kit and learn, acoustic drums are completely out of the question.

Otherwise, I'm going for a 'different' sound. I'm trying to get songs to swing without drums.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I've hit a snag guys.

I'm 4 songs through what I'm planning to be a 5 song EP, and if I'm ever going to keep recording, I will want drums. Any suggestions on a good MIDI drum program? I don't really have the time and money to buy a digital kit and learn, acoustic drums are completely out of the question.

Otherwise, I'm going for a 'different' sound. I'm trying to get songs to swing without drums.
Drumkit from Hell, DFH Superior and DFH2. Also BFD is apparently pretty good.

What program are you using?

Joy

Likes Dirt
Double post....

A good way I used to work with drums was using Sony Acid and Drumkit From Hell. DFH 1 was basically just a huge library of drum samples (recorded by the Meshuggah guy actually). I used to just drop in say the kick sample that I liked, then just used the drawing tool and copy/paste to line up the samples just like you would with midi. Takes a while at first, but you get the hang of it. This way is particularly awesome because you can alter each part of the kit (EQ etc) as if it were a mic'd acoustic kit

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to just drop in say the kick sample that I liked, then just used the drawing tool and copy/paste to line up the samples just like you would with midi. Takes a while at first, but you get the hang of it. This way is particularly awesome because you can alter each part of the kit (EQ etc) as if it were a mic'd acoustic kit
I used to spend ages tweaking drum programming in various ways in Cubase to try and get something vaguely organic shall we say, and no matter what it always sounded like a machine and frustrated me... but still loved doing it. :)

Its good how "metal" can use programming well and how Meshuggah can use programmed drums on an album and not really sound that different to live drums. I always loved Mick Harris of Napalm Death fame that when he started programing drums for his dub music he still sounded like Mick Harris though different to when he used a kit.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I used to spend ages tweaking drum programming in various ways in Cubase to try and get something vaguely organic shall we say, and no matter what it always sounded like a machine and frustrated me... but still loved doing it. :)

Its good how "metal" can use programming well and how Meshuggah can use programmed drums on an album and not really sound that different to live drums. I always loved Mick Harris of Napalm Death fame that when he started programing drums for his dub music he still sounded like Mick Harris though different to when he used a kit.
Yeah metal, rock and pop seem to be the only way programming drums don't sound super obvious (our whole EP was programmed). You can get them pretty awesome especially with new programs. DFH2 and Superior both have auto velocity mapping which means your snare sound will automatically randomize 5-6 different velocities or hit points on the snare so you don't get the monotonous bang bang bang. Really cool.

LJohn

Likes Dirt

Grins like a schoolgirl.

4 songs down in a 5 song EP.

Pretty much just acoustic.

I a) the price:need of drum software isn't up there atm.
b) the acoustic sounds so, well, nice?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Well, I'm curious. Can you program in your own drum track without a midi controller? Or do you have to use the provided loops?

I'm just picky and impatient, and would much rather be in there playing the drums. So I may, in the end, just go for an electric kit. Eventually though. It's fun trying to make a track groove without drums.

Joy

Likes Dirt
The way I mentioned earlier is a pretty awesome way to get started.

Drumkit from Hell 1 (which is just a massive library of drum sounds), Sony Acid Pro 5.0 (both of which you can torrent ;) and they aren't too big). I'd be more than happy to give you starting pointers.

Doing it this way gives you pretty much unlimited control over your samples, because you've imported the sounds one by one into the program as separate tracks. If you want your snare to play on the 4th semiquaver of beat 3, you just have to set the grid and draw it in. You've also got full EQ control and effects for each track (snare, hats, kick you name it). You can even set your quantization to "swing"

rayza

Likes Dirt
I had an ibanez PGM for a little while, except mine had a rosewood board. It was a really nice guitar, but i just couldnt grow to like the flat ibanez necks, i really tried.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
i love Paul Gilbert and everything but i just cant get past the F holes..... to me they look kinda ghey.... but each to their own. same kinda goes for the Jem and that silly handle thing. awesome guitar, id have one in a heartbeat if i could afford it but can i get one without the luggage option??!! :eek:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
same kinda goes for the Jem and that silly handle thing. awesome guitar, id have one in a heartbeat if i could afford it but can i get one without the luggage option??!! :eek:
I remember the first ad for the Jems and Vai was in them but not dressed like Vai and his face hidden behind a hat. The main thing I noticed was the handle and it was really WTF???

It made more sense when Vai looked through it in the Whitesnake video for "Fool For your Loving".. (Now that's a question, does anyone like the "Slip of the Tongue Album"?). He still didn't use the handle though.

Still every time I have seen Vai play I have never seen him use the handle. Even when he holds the body to do some crazy left hand hammer ons he holds the guitar by the body. So what is it for?