Mt Buller - All you need to know

dunndog

Eats Squid
So Ben, what's your brief on what's going on at buller this summer season then? what is bike buller promoting at the worlds - 1 month of a lift turning so get up there before Feb?? I kinda find it hard to believe they won't be running the lift at all after January.. although when skiing in early july I got chatting with a couple of guys who live in Mansfield and do maintenance work on the lifts, they said this summer was gunna be a big one for maintenance so maybe that's coming into play here?
won't be at the worlds but will be more than happy to sign a petition of some kind somehow somewhere.

Timbot

Likes Dirt
Same old flogged out tracks and another increase in lift tickets that far excedes inflation.Buller is unforfunatly a write off(for downhill)greedy dissapointing Bsl..

Last edited:

benannear

Likes Bikes
Yes, I have heard that the Horse Hill chair is well overdue for some maintenance work. This is possibly a major factor in the limited Summer lift operations. Hopefully the spin-off may be that while the chair is being repaired
some track maintenance, repairs and improvements will be made. Nevertheless the XC trails will no doubt attract an increasing number of bike nuts to the mountain. Guess I will be spending more time on the XC rig this summer than the DH.
When in Canberra will still take a list of crew who are a little 'jaded' with the lack of lifted biking this coming Summer.
Cheers Ben.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
For the many that dont make it to sign the petition, maybe many unimpressed emails sent directly through to buller skilifts and the resort management board maybe be an option....really a little pressure from the resort to force operators to support summer overall is what is needed to make buller a year round venture.... a thread here just for the unhappy just to show how many are around who are not impressed with the stop start venture up on buller...... on a good note was great to see such growth last year.....RMB investing so much in the crosscountry side of things with more new trails last year and again this year......heres hoping the current plans for the 50km trail thats in the early stages of plans go ahead ...

was our first year here at mirimbah with summer last year and we plan on running extra this summer but without lift operations for summer months we are definetly concerned with viability but plans are to go ahead and improve what we do
www.mirimbah.com.au

Ryan

Radministrator
So, $300 for a 'season pass' that's only going to get you a month of riding a handful of trails and on top of that you're expected to volunteer your time to maintain them?

Words can't adequately express what a piss-take that is.

benannear

Likes Bikes
Just a quick update.
Have over 100 names on paper with one day to go at the Worlds! If you are in Canberra get over to the Bike Buller stand, or tell your mates to get there and sign the petition for Buller to extend their lifted DH season this Summer.
Big thanks to those who have already put the pen to the paper.
Good luck to all competitors in Sundays DH. My first time at Stromlo, what a track!

dunndog

Eats Squid
good on ya Ben, maybe when your back in the real world and the dust has settled you can get a poll happening here or some kind of on line petition for all us lucky folk who got to stay home this weekend instead of getting to the worlds?? I'm sure there would be hundreds more! Have a good one up there (what's left)

oldschoo1

Cannon Fodder
Just a quick update.
Have over 100 names on paper with one day to go at the Worlds! If you are in Canberra get over to the Bike Buller stand, or tell your mates to get there and sign the petition for Buller to extend their lifted DH season this Summer.
Big thanks to those who have already put the pen to the paper.
Good luck to all competitors in Sundays DH. My first time at Stromlo, what a track!
You guys are kidding yourselfs that BSL is going to do anything more with the lifts for summer. They think short term and reactive. They think they are doing favours by having the lift open in summer. The only way things will improve at Buller as a mountain is if the owners of BSL sell to someone with some long term vision - in other words people who know what they are doing. This is not a dig at RMB cause I think they might know what they are doing.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
You guys are kidding yourselfs that BSL is going to do anything more with the lifts for summer. They think short term and reactive. They think they are doing favours by having the lift open in summer. The only way things will improve at Buller as a mountain is if the owners of BSL sell to someone with some long term vision - in other words people who know what they are doing. This is not a dig at RMB cause I think they might know what they are doing.
RMB are switched on, they've been around doing their research. Travels to canada to learn about sustainable track building and numerous other things, I'm sure they've got their eye on this very thread. ;)

Just means more opportunity for the guys with private tracks to show what they have to offer for people. Either way it will still be a top summer for downhillers.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be honest Ben, the crux of this issue is not "how long the lifts will turn this summer" but really what sort of maintenance/upgrades will be done prior to the lifts opening on the exhisting DH trails??????

If BSL/RMB decides to not partake in any trail maintenance or upgrades to their DH facility then it doesn't matter how long the lifts will run as I doubt anyone wants to come up and ride flogged out tracks that haven't had maintenance or any work done since last summer, especially if the lift ticket prices have risen again. If this is the case it'll be a very quiet summer at Buller for DH which will make the people who care less feel justified in their decision to not invest in upgrading and maintaining the trails, which is really disappointing.

I do hold hope that the "Bike Buller" brand and the DH program is going somewhere in the next couple of years but they need to INVEST now. If they don't invest soon all the patronage and good will they have built up will be gone.

I am so sick of seeing countless vids of km after km of buffed singletrack and enormous Whistler style venues all around the world and that's what we get dished up here in Aus........?

Last edited:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
was our first year here at mirimbah with summer last year and we plan on running extra this summer but without lift operations for summer months we are definetly concerned with viability but plans are to go ahead and improve what we do
www.mirimbah.com.au
Ill still be up. Maybe not for the DH as it sounds like BSL are really trying to screw people but for the new XC trails and the shuttles from Buller and Stirling. Will you do off season uplifts for groups? If so whats the minimum amount of people to make it worth your while?

MB

Intense Australia
To be honest Ben, the crux of this issue is not "how long the lifts will turn this summer" but really what sort of maintenance/upgrades will be done prior to the lifts opening on the exhisting DH trails??????

If BSL/RMB decides to not partake in any trail maintenance or upgrades to their DH facility then it doesn't matter how long the lifts will run as I doubt anyone wants to come up and ride flogged out tracks that haven't had maintenance or any work done since last summer, especially if the lift ticket prices have risen again. If this is the case it'll be a very quiet summer at Buller for DH which will make the people who care less feel justified in their decision to not invest in upgrading and maintaining the trails, which is really disappointing.

I do hold hope that the "Bike Buller" brand and the DH program is going somewhere in the next couple of years but they need to INVEST now. If they don't invest soon all the patronage and good will they have built up will be gone.

I am so sick of seeing countless vids of km after km of buffed singletrack and enormous Whistler style venues all around the world and that's what we get dished up here in Aus........?
Right on, Wisey, I certainly won't waste my money on flogged out tracks like what Buller has on offer. Its a shame to feel this way about the place that I have ridden so many times over the past ten years, but after seeing overseas offerings, there is no choice.

I have just come back from Hafjell in Norway, and let me tell you it is amazing. 13 lift accessible tracks and a pro level shop (that I worked in during my stay) with a rental fleet of 50 DH bikes. They also have big events like ANTI Days of Thunder there to boost their profile.There is a total population over there of around 4.5 million people, with an average of 50-60 riders turning up to provincial races (equivalent to our state rounds). This is considered to be a good number for a race in Norway. our state rounds in vic are getting 200 plus riders at every event, and many more for National rounds. So their population has a far greater number of chairlifted tracks per rider... What are we doing wrong?

So what do we get for our money? Not a lot I say. Poorly maintained tracks, and now a severely limited season. Great. No more Buller for me. To the people up there I would suggest that they look at Hafjell.no for a look at what a real mountain bike park can be. Or, closer to home, You Yangs (I walked the new track down there and it looks amazing, good job guys!). There is some real commitment to the future of mountain biking going on down there, and that only means less people going to buller this summer. Good on 'em I say!

Also worth a mention is Barjarg, the new stuff up there is going to rock out, so bring on the ride days I say!

Hopefully there is someone from BSL watching this thread (wishful thinking I know), then they might take note of the disgruntled long term customers who have been going there and spending their hard earned for years, walking away from the place. I will be riding Youies this year. Sorry Buller, but enough is enough. No love for you.

Last edited:

Z100

Likes Bikes
So has anyone been up to the tracks recently and seen the state they are in?
Want to start planning a trip up to Buller with some mates (have to plan ahead as they all work full time). If its going to be a big waste of money (tired track and higher lift charges) I would rather spend my time in January at the You Yangs.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Want to start planning a trip up to Buller with some mates (have to plan ahead as they all work full time). If its going to be a big waste of money (tired track and higher lift charges) I would rather spend my time in January at the You Yangs.
Buller still has that chair lift. If it wasnt for that people would have stopped going there years ago.

You yangs is a small hill but has plenty of amazingly built trails to keep everyone entertained. But, you will be walking up the hill each time.

Both have their pro's and con's.

Buller
Cons: Very expensive, Flogged out old tracks.
Pros: Chairlift, stays a little cooler on hot days.

You Yangs
Pros: Plenty of trails, extremely high build quality on the trails, free, can be ridden whenever.
Cons: Not a massive amount of elevation for the trail builders to work with, have to walk up except on organised club ride days.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doubt anyone on here has been up there lately. The tracks aren't open until the end of December and trail building doesn't start until early next month.

For all you guys complaining about the state of the trails... yes, they are the same old trails. BUT if you get out there and help out with the building, maybe you can help make them better? I will be going up as many weekends as I can to try and help out. That includes after the lifts have closed again when further maintenance will be done.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of people complaining about the tracks not being maintained without offering to help out and fix them (plus you get a free day's lift ticket for each day you help out).

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doubt anyone on here has been up there lately. The tracks aren't open until the end of December and trail building doesn't start until early next month.

For all you guys complaining about the state of the trails... yes, they are the same old trails. BUT if you get out there and help out with the building, maybe you can help make them better? I will be going up as many weekends as I can to try and help out. That includes after the lifts have closed again when further maintenance will be done.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of people complaining about the tracks not being maintained without offering to help out and fix them (plus you get a free day's lift ticket for each day you help out).
Is there info put up for when 'build days' are held, I have seen International after a race and it's farked haha, would defiantly get out there and help!

dunndog

Eats Squid

That's all well and good, and I understand your point about getting out there and helping. Problem is, am I expected to drive 3.5 hrs from melbourne and work for a day, pay for accom and drive 3.5 hrs back and in return get 1 day riding for free? That's hardly a return, and especially when the lift will be running for a whole month only! i'd be lucky to get another day in! Why would anyone put their back into it when the venue itself isn't willing too? for the money it costs to ride there per day you shouldn't be expected to have to be doing the trail work as well. and what happens to all that work from feb on when the chair is closed and the trails are neglected again for another year? No, not the solution. step 1 here is for Buller to re gain some respect and convince the mtb community - dh in particular as this is where they are lagging - that they are committed to developing and running a quality riding area.If they aren't into it you can't expect riders to pick up the slack. Get the existing trails back up to scratch, a few improvements, nothing too drastic, just prove that there is some interest there. I understand the chairs need maintenance, what's going on NOW? Why do it in February? get serious THEN have a working bee or 2 and I think things would be very different.. I know for myself and my mates if Buller appeared more serious we'd definately be in to help make it work, but the way things are i'm abut as interested in riding there as I am driving there and back..