The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
EOS 1Ds MkII + timer remote + 4hrs + 151 frames + Moviemaker = ....
**snip**
Yes, i've been teaching myself how to do time-lapse photography. :)
Nice one Xmetal.....

On another note, had a play with a 7D today...very nice. Tris...you're a lucky man. I also had a play with a Tamron 70 - 200 f2.8. Damn that thing is sharp.:eek:

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Just got back from taking photos with a mate to test out his yongnuo flash and triggers, plus had his sb600. Decided to take photos of my car, and practice light painting. hard work getting it right and dealing with flashes recycling. fun though.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Just got back from taking photos with a mate to test out his yongnuo flash and triggers, plus had his sb600. Decided to take photos of my car, and practice light painting. hard work getting it right and dealing with flashes recycling. fun though.
I see no photos...? :confused:

;)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
On another note, had a play with a 7D today...very nice. Tris...you're a lucky man. I also had a play with a Tamron 70 - 200 f2.8. Damn that thing is sharp.:eek:
Guys, I have to say it...don't believe internet hype. Try as you might, you can no longer convince me L-series lenses are worth 3-times (or more) the price of regular, non-L-series lenses. Seriously, fuck em. I'm over it.

It may just be the fact i'm heavily inebriated, but i'm just sick of it. Internet forums, kooks with money, focus charts...screw it all. I challenge you guys to show me a photo that destroys the one below (with an L-series, I mean. It's not even a good photo, but I still challenge you)...I took it with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 that cost me $145. I just don't believe, any more, that price indicates the level of a photograph you can obtain out of your camera...it's honestly bloody internet hype, and it honestly simply comes down to the ability of the person who's holding the camera at the time.

The result speaks for itself: And yes, the highlights in the grass are blown. And yes, the bokeh does have pentagonal shaped highlights. And yes, umm, nothing else... Give it to me. If you disagree, please, openly comment... I'd like to hear it.

So go on, someone, tell me why I should be spending 12x the amount on the 50mm f/1.2L...

(Hey, Tupper, I don't mean any offence by this. Neither you, Drew, because I know you're about to spend the money on one... I guess it's just taken a bit of alcohol to get me going over this. I'm not angry, i'm just expressing my feelings. It was stupid of me to rant, just two weeks ago, about why I jumped to Canon (to buy L-series lenses, if you don't remember)...I think it's time I just chilled. Let those that would like to spend money, spend money... I shall just go on taking photographs.)

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Good read Tris, and a nice shot too, good mood to it. Without sounding like i've got my tongue in your ass it's kind of inspiring. It's amazing what equipment can do in the right hands. I was reading a mag when I saw this landscape shot that looked awesome, it was the photo of the month or something, turns out it was a canon 450d with a sigma 10-20, like i said... the right hands.

Bring on the nifty fifty's! I have an 85mm f1.8 in my sights, if I get it it all i'll need is the 10-24 and im set. With the new camera body i'm in for a lot of fun, i'm itching to crack out my 50 f1.8 on it.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Guys, I have to say it...don't believe internet hype. Try as you might, you can no longer convince me L-series lenses are worth 3-times (or more) the price of regular, non-L-series lenses. Seriously, fuck em. I'm over it.

It may just be the fact i'm heavily inebriated, but i'm just sick of it. Internet forums, kooks with money, focus charts...screw it all. I challenge you guys to show me a photo that destroys the one below (with an L-series, I mean. It's not even a good photo, but I still challenge you)...I took it with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 that cost me $145. I just don't believe, any more, that price indicates the level of a photograph you can obtain out of your camera...it's honestly bloody internet hype, and it honestly simply comes down to the ability of the person who's holding the camera at the time.

The result speaks for itself: And yes, the highlights in the grass are blown. And yes, the bokeh does have pentagonal shaped highlights. And yes, umm, nothing else... Give it to me. If you disagree, please, openly comment... I'd like to hear it.

So go on, someone, tell me why I should be spending 12x the amount on the 50mm f/1.2L...

(Hey, Tupper, I don't mean any offence by this. Neither you, Drew, because I know you're about to spend the money on one... I guess it's just taken a bit of alcohol to get me going over this. I'm not angry, i'm just expressing my feelings. It was stupid of me to rant, just two weeks ago, about why I jumped to Canon (to buy L-series lenses, if you don't remember)...I think it's time I just chilled. Let those that would like to spend money, spend money... I shall just go on taking photographs.)
man, prior to our conversation the other night (when I was the one in the drunk seat), you know where I stand with this; I agree, at a resized image, the results as far as IQ are just about un-noticable, that said, perhaps at 100% crop it could vary in terms of CA, etc; but that is irrelevant to a lot of us because it's rare we will have a photo blown up to such a size where it wi be noticed, not to mention the fact that pp can fix a lot.

But, you do get amazing results with most of the L series in terms of better bokeh, often slightly faster AF, build quality is on a different level and the better handling at low light that comes with low apetures. But I do agree, IQ may not vary that much. That said, for the prices of some L glass, it's in my mind too whether or not they justify themselves. Anyway, I agree with what you're saying, I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion.

P.s I hope you've got a mad hangover. :p

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Actually, speaking of which, anyone used the older Nikkor AF (or AF-S) 80-200 f/2.8D? How does it stack up against the likes of the Sigma and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 offerings?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Actually, speaking of which, anyone used the older Nikkor AF (or AF-S) 80-200 f/2.8D? How does it stack up against the likes of the Sigma and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 offerings?
A couple of months ago I took my D300 into a camera shop and tried a used version that I was keen on buying. I was impressed, especially for the money. Again, it comes back to that thing about kooks on the internet; for months i'd been reading stuff about how the AF sucked, and then I went and tried it and was blown away. Indoors, in the camera shop, it locked quickly and easily...not a problem. Outdoors was the same. I tried two copies, and one copy (the older of the two) wide open had noticeable chromatic aberrations in high-contrast areas, but the other one was pretty much sweet.

I think it's a great lens, and I would've bought it had I not decided to jump. The used copy I was looking at was $650...

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Tristan, may i ask what aperture that was shot at, im having trouble getting mine right, sharpness wise?

Also Tristan i agree with you 100%, its all about who is using the camera, there was this guy, at my school aths carnival, (i wrote about this in here a while ago in rage!) had a 5d, lots of red ring glass, 580's, but no fucking idea, shooting auto.

With my limited knowledge, experience and skills, i love my 50mm 1.8 !