The Photo Snob Thread

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Here are some pics i have recently been taking.

Ill post some more up latter
The first one i find that i pretty much just looks like a rock, as the grasshopper is the same color, not sure if that's what you were trying to do? I think that with shots like this, the subject needs to stand out, also, there is too much dead space, particularly in the top left corner.

And the land scape would have been better if it was composed higher, and maybe slightly to the left, hard to say with out knowing whats there! And again too much dead space one the foreground to the left, would have been more interesting if more of the water/ hills were involved!

good work though!

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
So i bought a 430EX II last night :) going to be so good. Took a few shots at home last night and what a difference :) I was also so tempted to buy a 50mm 1.8, she offered it to me for $100 bucks but i turned it down :( kinda wishing i didnt.

syko

Likes Dirt
So i bought a 430EX II last night :) going to be so good. Took a few shots at home last night and what a difference :) I was also so tempted to buy a 50mm 1.8, she offered it to me for $100 bucks but i turned it down :( kinda wishing i didnt.
oooooo fancy....Yeah i also think this may have been a bad choice as for $100 it is a steal and you could not find another lens like this one for the price.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Guys, I have to say it...don't believe internet hype. Try as you might, you can no longer convince me L-series lenses are worth 3-times (or more) the price of regular, non-L-series lenses. Seriously, fuck em. I'm over it.

It may just be the fact i'm heavily inebriated, but i'm just sick of it. Internet forums, kooks with money, focus charts...screw it all. I challenge you guys to show me a photo that destroys the one below (with an L-series, I mean. It's not even a good photo, but I still challenge you)...I took it with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 that cost me $145. I just don't believe, any more, that price indicates the level of a photograph you can obtain out of your camera...it's honestly bloody internet hype, and it honestly simply comes down to the ability of the person who's holding the camera at the time.

The result speaks for itself: And yes, the highlights in the grass are blown. And yes, the bokeh does have pentagonal shaped highlights. And yes, umm, nothing else... Give it to me. If you disagree, please, openly comment... I'd like to hear it.

So go on, someone, tell me why I should be spending 12x the amount on the 50mm f/1.2L...

(Hey, Tupper, I don't mean any offence by this. Neither you, Drew, because I know you're about to spend the money on one... I guess it's just taken a bit of alcohol to get me going over this. I'm not angry, i'm just expressing my feelings. It was stupid of me to rant, just two weeks ago, about why I jumped to Canon (to buy L-series lenses, if you don't remember)...I think it's time I just chilled. Let those that would like to spend money, spend money... I shall just go on taking photographs.)
What body have you used for this pic?

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
^ canon 7d!
oooo i thought that. I was looking at a 7D last night and my god there huge; well compared to a 450D lol. Does anyone find them to be to big for everyday photogrphy? I have a 450D and with my 17-50 and the 430EX 11 it weighs a tone and would imagine the 7D weighing even more, i like the 450D because i carry it with me always and take it on hols etc but the 7D just seems to be overkill for everyday use, in size i mean, is it true?

But in regards to Tristens argument, i know it's the person behind the camera. But a 7D isnt exactly a cheap piece off equipment. So in your case, a good body is better then a good lens? I was always told to keep the body and buy better glass.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tristan i'm in Aus at the moment.. come try my 50L and prepared to be blown. ;)

In all seriousness, on a crop the IQ will be a lot closer. Fullframe, you will be able to tell the difference a lot easier. You were complaining before about the 50mm 1.8 being soft at the edges? And that's on a crop.. chuck it on fullframe and you have a bigger problem.

Just a little insight from the fullframe parade. Your on a crop, so it probably doesn't/or won't ever bother you.

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The result speaks for itself: And yes, the highlights in the grass are blown. And yes, the bokeh does have pentagonal shaped highlights. And yes, umm, nothing else... Give it to me. If you disagree, please, openly comment... I'd like to hear it.

You are a shit photographer!
You didn't even manage to get her shirt off for the shot ;)
Haha.

Drew.

Eats Squid
can you afford velvia? its the best film i have used
Im sure I could. I'll give it a go, when the camera arrives.

Ilford Delta 3200 for B&W parties (like this)
Ilford Delta 100 for B&W daylight (like this)
Kodak 160 Portra NC for daylight colour (would be similar to this i reckon)

That's what I've used so far and enjoyed.
Sweet Lewis! The 3200 looks sweeeet.

You are a shit photographer!
You didn't even manage to get her shirt off for the shot ;)
Haha.
Kazinga!

hubbie

Forever 1,337
How much does it cost ya to get a roll hand processed?
I think it was about $10, no prints. Done by Vision Imagelab in Sydney, by proxy from my local shop, then scanned by my local. definitely worth getting a scanner and chemicals if you plan on shooting much film, especially B&W

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Guys, I have to say it...don't believe internet hype. Try as you might, you can no longer convince me L-series lenses are worth 3-times (or more) the price of regular, non-L-series lenses. Seriously, fuck em. I'm over it.
Hey Tris, Hope my post didn't fuel your intoxicated outburst!:D

I agree 100%. Yes you can pick floors in any image taken with lesser glass, but how many times have we seen a great photo posted in this thread taken with a kit lense. The Nifty fifty is so incredible for it's $ that I recommend to everyone that I know that's into photography to make it their first purchase. I'll never let go of mine.
I can't justify to myself (all that matters really) the extra cost in Canon's L series lenses. Until I am paid as a fulltime photographer (which will probably never happen), why should I spend all my money on expensive glass?
I want the ability that some of these lenses have, i.e the focal length or reach etc. But I am not prepare to pay for it. So I take a hit with hexagonal bokeh, so depth of feild might not be as good, what makes you are great photog is your ability to produce superb photos with the limitations at hand.

Tris, by the way....great shot!:D

Drew.

Eats Squid
I think it was about $10, no prints. Done by Vision Imagelab in Sydney, by proxy from my local shop, then scanned by my local. definitely worth getting a scanner and chemicals if you plan on shooting much film, especially B&W
Seems so intimidating developing your own photos, what having a dark room and actually using the chemicals properly.
Film scanners aren't cheap, either...

hubbie

Forever 1,337
My mate here bought a $300 canon film scanner, chemicals and a paterson dveloping tank (all easily under $100 I think), changes rolls into tank under his doona, then does the chemicals in his laundry sink, adjusting water to 20deg, and they come out pretty good I reckon. Mostly in good film boxes you'll find necessary chemical amounts and times for that film.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Hey Tris, Hope my post didn't fuel your intoxicated outburst!:D

I agree 100%. Yes you can pick floors in any image taken with lesser glass, but how many times have we seen a great photo posted in this thread taken with a kit lense. The Nifty fifty is so incredible for it's $ that I recommend to everyone that I know that's into photography to make it their first purchase. I'll never let go of mine.
I can't justify to myself (all that matters really) the extra cost in Canon's L series lenses. Until I am paid as a fulltime photographer (which will probably never happen), why should I spend all my money on expensive glass?
I want the ability that some of these lenses have, i.e the focal length or reach etc. But I am not prepare to pay for it. So I take a hit with hexagonal bokeh, so depth of feild might not be as good, what makes you are great photog is your ability to produce superb photos with the limitations at hand.

Tris, by the way....great shot!:D

Are you saying we have seen great shots taken with kit lens?