Stripping a frame

Jordo99

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I'm stripping my frame and need to buy paint stripper, I've been told that if i don't get the correct one it will ruin my frame. I went to Bunnings and asked for a recommendation on a aluminum paint stripper and i got showed one that was talking about painting wood :confused:
Anywho I'd just like to know what brands fellow burners have used to strip their frame, also a recommendation for a clear coat.

EDIT: i did read the how to paint your bike thread, it didnt tell me what stripper or clear coat to use,:cool:

Thanks
Jordan

I searched but didn't find anything, if its been covered could someone just link me

Last edited:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
the guy at bunnings obviosly doesnt know then lol :p.
just go into bunnings and read the back of the paint stripper tins it will say on them what they can be used for, obviously buy one for aluminum, and ur set. as for clear coat well i just used the brand white knight.

Jordo99

Likes Dirt
the guy at bunnings obviosly doesnt know then lol :p.
just go into bunnings and read the back of the paint stripper tins it will say on them what they can be used for, obviously buy one for aluminum, and ur set. as for clear coat well i just used the brand white knight.
looks like ill have too, what brand of stripper did you use, makes it so much more easier to get one I'm looking for rather then finding one :p

dog boy

Likes Dirt
just dont be lazy go into bunnings and read what it says on the tins.I have no idea what brand it was that i used, it was just the chepest stuff i could buy. :p

Science

Likes Dirt
i wouldn't have thought there was a differace in strippers, so long as it was meant for metal. But i have never done so myself, so i could very well be wrong.

IF you don't mind me asking, Whats the plan?

pak

Likes Bikes
paint stripper

I used selleys kwik strip just make sure you use a non caustic based stripper..

Jordo99

Likes Dirt
just dont be lazy go into bunnings and read what it says on the tins.I have no idea what brand it was that i used, it was just the chepest stuff i could buy. :p
haha ok, thanks matey

i wouldn't have thought there was a differace in strippers, so long as it was meant for metal. But i have never done so myself, so i could very well be wrong.

IF you don't mind me asking, Whats the plan?
To strip my bike, make it raw, then making it nice and shiny, haha

I used selleys kwik strip just make sure you use a non caustic based stripper..
thanks heaps

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I was doing my STP I purchased the one that seemed the strongest / would work fastest. Pretty sure it was Selleys Qwik Strip too. Wish I could have found the "Aircraft Stripper" some people talk about, no doubt it would have made the job easier.

I think you'll find most people just use whatever stripper is available and by reading the label sounds like it will do the job, others probably buy based on price. Whatever you go for you probably want to make sure you do the stripping relatively quickly and wash the frame thoroughly after each go.
I know caustic eats aluminium, but short term exposure and thorough washing afterward I don't think it's likely to eat through your frame. Besides isn't that what people use for stripping anodizing? Oven Cleaners are generally Caustic.

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
I just got a second hand frame that i am stripping and going to repaint. Original Paint jobs may come off easier but my frame had a very thick resprayed coat.

I went to bunning and bought 500ml paint stripper $12, steel wool, $3, sand paper, $1.
Total $16 and already had a few wire brushs at home. After spending about 4 hours (setting up, stripping, packing up) i was only about 1/2 way through. I had run out of stripper and still had to do all the tricky bits in the frame.

Decided that i cbf anymore and took it down to the paint stripper to chemical / acid bath it.
He said it wont cost much, under $40. (I will edit and input a price when i pick it up in 2 days), and that its a non caustic bath so wont hurt the aluminium.

So advice to anyone who is thinking of using a paint stripper and doing it manually, RECONSIDER. you will spend $20, take about 4-8 hrs (Depending on complexity of frame and if its original paint or respray) and probly won't do as good of a job.

For more info or pics PM me, I will probly start a Build thread and add pics etc. and put a link in my sig soon.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Diggers brand paint stripper. Use a soft brush and apply liberally. There is a great thread somewhere in here where a fellow stripped an old giant for a single speed project. Pretty cool photos but I can't seem to find the thread.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to bunning and bought 500ml paint stripper $12, steel wool, $3, sand paper, $1.
Total $16 and already had a few wire brushs at home. After spending about 4 hours (setting up, stripping, packing up) i was only about 1/2 way through. I had run out of stripper and still had to do all the tricky bits in the frame.

So advice to anyone who is thinking of using a paint stripper and doing it manually, RECONSIDER. you will spend $20, take about 4-8 hrs (Depending on complexity of frame and if its original paint or respray) and probly won't do as good of a job.
Interesting. I used the Selly's stuff and had my frame knocked off in about an hour. I did notice that silver was much harder to get off than the red so clearly there's a difference in paint types. I did really slop it on thought.

Give it a crack. It's a great feeling having done it.