Australia day!

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Im in Houston, texas, USA and I just got home from an australia day party at an irish pub. Met a couple fellow expats and chilled out with co-workers and friends. Many beers were drunk (no australian beers... not even cat-pis- err i mean fosters.. Though shiner a local texas beer is pretty darn acceptable). Bloody good night in the end..

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

TomT

Likes Dirt
Australia day, the day many crimes against the flag are committed..

Funniest part is everyone walks round with the flags to show how aussie they are, and now aussie ear phones, aussie this that and the other.. why not wear it everyday? I'm just waiting to see what "Aussie" item they come out with next year.
Isn't the idea of Australia day to show that you are proud of where you live? Why shouldn't people wear clothing symbolising Australia? If the same clothes were worn every day, it would take away the significance of having one day where the whole nation comes together and displays their pride.

As far as wearing the flag as a cape is concerned, it is purely an icon to advertise their pride, not to purposely commit crimes against the flag. Whether the physical act of wearing the flag is correct or not, shouldn't it be the action that defines it? It's not like they are purposely wearing the flag to offend or to commit a crime against it, it's quite the opposite.

If that's the way a lot of people choose to display their pride to the rest of the nation, then I for one don't see anything wrong with it.

Just my opinion, not saying any of you are wrong.

:)

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn't the idea of Australia day to show that you are proud of where you live? Why shouldn't people wear clothing symbolising Australia? If the same clothes were worn every day, it would take away the significance of having one day where the whole nation comes together and displays their pride.
Im sorry mate but that's a load of shit, you dont show you're pride for your country by celebrating it ONE day of the year, if you really are patriotic to Australia wear it everyday, people that put flags on there car and wear aussie flags on AUSTRALIA day are fucking fake, it just show's how much of a god damn try hard they fucking are. hiding behind there bullshit and lies just trying to show they dont give two shit's about this country, I bet half of them pollute, break the law, so what exactly are they being proud for?? Australia day is about getting togethor with a bunch of close friends and celebrating how good we have it in this lovely country not about dressing up and look like a two bit slut.

mtb1611

Seymour
Im sorry mate but that's a load of shit, you dont show you're pride for your country by celebrating it ONE day of the year, if you really are patriotic to Australia wear it everyday, people that put flags on there car and wear aussie flags on AUSTRALIA day are fucking fake, it just show's how much of a god damn try hard they fucking are. hiding behind there bullshit and lies just trying to show they dont give two shit's about this country, I bet half of them pollute, break the law, so what exactly are they being proud for?? Australia day is about getting togethor with a bunch of close friends and celebrating how good we have it in this lovely country not about dressing up and look like a two bit slut.
The amount of thought you directed towards this post is astonishing. You're exactly the sort of ambassador Australia needs to propel national pride out into the heartlands.

Pray tell, what exactly does a "two bit slut" dress like? Does he or she drape themselves in the national flag? Do you celebrate Christmas? On Christmas Day or every day of the year? What about Easter? The Queen's Birthday? Hmmmm? Do you celebrate these days every day of the year, or fake it like the rest of us on a designated date? They may hide behind their "bullshit and lies" but you sir wear them as a badge of honour.

I'd call you an idiot but I'm not feeling particularly complimentary this evening.

stoff

Likes Dirt
I will be getting together with a bunch of good mates tomorrow, having a bbq, playing cricket, listening to the "the second hottest 99" (as beautifully described by a poster in this or another thread) and drinking some beer. Best bit about the group I'll be with is that of the 15 or so of us who will be there, there will be a Fijian, a Welshman, a Kiwi, a South African, A Brazilian and a Frenchy, who all are going to be there celebrating the country they have come to. For me thats what Australia Day is about (and hopefully knocking over the Welshman's stumps first ball - when it comes to cricket, all Brits, especially this one, are English - Im not going to hold out for the Tri Nations hat trick because the Safa has played first class cricket in SA and England).

Given we are going to a park near Swinburne Uni which has a lot of Indian students, I hope that a group of them come down to the park too and we can celebrate Australia Day together with a bit of a one day international. How good would it be to celebrate Australia Day by mending some of the broken bridges with another country through enjoying a common sporting interest.

Last edited:

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The amount of thought you directed towards this post is astonishing. You're exactly the sort of ambassador Australia needs to propel national pride out into the heartlands.

Pray tell, what exactly does a "two bit slut" dress like? Does he or she drape themselves in the national flag? Do you celebrate Christmas? On Christmas Day or every day of the year? What about Easter? The Queen's Birthday? Hmmmm? Do you celebrate these days every day of the year, or fake it like the rest of us on a designated date? They may hide behind their "bullshit and lies" but you sir wear them as a badge of honour.

I'd call you an idiot but I'm not feeling particularly complimentary this evening.
Australia day has no relevance and cannot be compared with something like those days what so ever. What happened on the 26th of January once upon a time, nothing the last time I saw, it's just time for a piss up. and "two bit slut" is a quote.

todd28

Likes Dirt
Having some mates come around for a BBQ then going to another mates for a swim/table tennis/pinball.

stoff

Likes Dirt
Australia day has no relevance and cannot be compared with something like those days what so ever. What happened on the 26th of January once upon a time, nothing the last time I saw, it's just time for a piss up. and "two bit slut" is a quote.
First fleet landed. Not the most appropriate day, but something definitely happened. What happened at Easter or Christmas Day - nothing, and even if it did the date is very disputable (do not want a religion vs atheist debate here).

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
hiding behind there bullshit and lies just trying to show they dont give two shit's about this country, I bet half of them pollute, break the law, so what exactly are they being proud for??
I hear they drive Japanese cars and drink imported beer as well. :eek:

niki125

Likes Dirt
Another perspective perhaps?

Pinched from a mates blog who pinched it from somewhere else
"Australia day is the day on which the first fleet descended upon Sydney harbor in 1788. There is a strange idea of ‘patriotism’ connected with this date (Australia Day), forgetting that for Aboriginal people this signifies the beginning of an era of Pain, Fear, Confusion and the Beginning of the end of their way of life and culture (DREAMING).
"

Me... well i'm having a BBq, h100, slip'n'slide + beers, many beers. :):)

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
I second that an calling you an idiot would be a compliment. Think of the logisitcs of wearing some item of Australian clothing EVERY day. Not only would it be inconvenient but I highly doubt you actually could get away with it at many work places.

I don't understand the whole 'disgracing the flag' shit. Yes, i get that if your drunk as fuck and stumbling around with an australian flag tied around you, its a bit of a joke... but as far as wearing it to display that you're australian, I don't see the problem. Why is it any different to wearing a t-shirt or a hat with a flag on it? I'm in the US at the moment and plan to wear an aussie flag for Australia day. I'm proud of my country, and I want to display that I'm Australia, and hell wearing a flag is a hell of a lot easier than walking up to every second person and telling them i'm Australian.

andrewG

Likes Dirt
going bloody wakeboarding with Dj Boi
slapping some lamb on my backpack BBQ
wearing australia flag boxers all day, even to our suburbs block party BBQ in the arvo
gonna be sick as
aussie aussie aussie!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Lets hope all this flag wearing southern cross tattoo wearing 'aussie Pride' crp doesn't end up in racially motivated voilence on the 6 o'clock news tonight. It only takes a very small few un australian dickheads to bring it all down.
Have a ripper Australia Day crew!!!

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
I will be getting together with a bunch of good mates tomorrow, having a bbq, playing cricket, listening to the "the second hottest 99" (as beautifully described by a poster in this or another thread) and drinking some beer. Best bit about the group I'll be with is that of the 15 or so of us who will be there, there will be a Fijian, a Welshman, a Kiwi, a South African, A Brazilian and a Frenchy, who all are going to be there celebrating the country they have come to. For me thats what Australia Day is about (and hopefully knocking over the Welshman's stumps first ball - when it comes to cricket, all Brits, especially this one, are English - Im not going to hold out for the Tri Nations hat trick because the Safa has played first class cricket in SA and England).

Given we are going to a park near Swinburne Uni which has a lot of Indian students, I hope that a group of them come down to the park too and we can celebrate Australia Day together with a bit of a one day international. How good would it be to celebrate Australia Day by mending some of the broken bridges with another country through enjoying a common sporting interest.
perfect example of what people should be doing. nice work mate have fun at the game.

mtb1611

Seymour
No relevance to whom? It's a day set aside to celebrate an event (irrespective of the controversy surrounding that event) in excatly the same way that Xmas Day and Good Friday are. Watch tonight's news: yes you'll see drunken idiots using today as an excuse to do what they do best - you'll also see a lot of families celebrating together, people attending citizenship ceremonies, achievements being acknowledged...hopefully you'll even come across people taking time to think about the injustices perpetrated by the regime whose arrival Australa Day acknowledges.