Buying a bike from the USA, costs involved?

BureauMan

Likes Bikes
I'm considering buying a bike from the USA, its used but in as new condition, will cost around 3 grand Australian. The shop I'm buying from is not prepared to put a lower price on the packaging. So what I want to ask is this: what costs am I likely to incur? Are we talking sales tax, import duty, GST? At 3 grand its a good deal but if I was to have to pay say 25 percent on top it would make it not so great.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm considering buying a bike from the USA, its used but in as new condition, will cost around 3 grand Australian. The shop I'm buying from is not prepared to put a lower price on the packaging. So what I want to ask is this: what costs am I likely to incur? Are we talking sales tax, import duty, GST? At 3 grand its a good deal but if I was to have to pay say 25 percent on top it would make it not so great.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Be prepared, if you get slugged, which you probably will, up to 30% on top of the price you pay for the bike. That will be to your door everything.

Not pretty. But thats life.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
duty including GST is 15%

If hit, you will pay this on the value declared for the bike and freight as a total.

Not that hard to work out.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
duty including GST is 15%

If hit, you will pay this on the value declared for the bike and freight as a total.

Not that hard to work out.
This is correct. Let's say your bike plus shipping works out at $3300 total, you will be paying $495 duty to customs to get your hands on it once here. Even if you get the shop to declare a lower value on the box, customs will likely ask for proof that is what you actually paid.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is correct. Let's say your bike plus shipping works out at $3300 total, you will be paying $495 duty to customs to get your hands on it once here. Even if you get the shop to declare a lower value on the box, customs will likely ask for proof that is what you actually paid.
Is it being shipped to you, or are you bringing it back into the country with you (say as luggage on the plane)?

If you are bringing it with you - I have a few tactics I have used in the past (666)

single-track-mind

Likes Dirt
Factor in the cost of a brake line swap over and bleed due to the US riders who run reverse brakes
WTF they don't do it on MOTO's so why in dogs name do they do it on mtb ?

ncativo

Likes Bikes
It's not new, it's used. I'm not sure if this makes a difference with respect to charges added.
You are likely to pay:

5% of the cost of the bike (Declared value) which is custom duties.

then you'll pay GST on the total value that is, Declared value + Shipping costs.

The fact that the bike is used could only help but only if the shipper declared it as a lower value item.

Perhaps you are lucky and pay no taxes at all.

BureauMan

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm having the bike shipped to me, not bringing it back. So it seems like I'll be up for just over 15%:( (Bike cost + freight) * 5%) * 10%.

Hmmm, definitely takes the shine off it.

What about getting the bike shop to break it down into say frame, wheelset, parts, and ship it a few packages all valued at less than $1000 - silly idea?

ncativo

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm having the bike shipped to me, not bringing it back. So it seems like I'll be up for just over 15%:( (Bike cost + freight) * 5%) * 10%.

Hmmm, definitely takes the shine off it.

What about getting the bike shop to break it down into say frame, wheelset, parts, and ship it a few packages all valued at less than $1000 - silly idea?
That's not a bad idea, but keep in mind that you may end up paying more in shipping by paying for 4 parcels for example, compared to the cost of one parcel. It is really unlikely you'll pay custom duties if you do this, specially if all bike components are used.