Silly long rides...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So Gonz, have you done either ride yet? Also, what sort of food & water do you take with you or do you forage on the way?
Hard to spend more than 4 hours out on the pushy with a little one at home & a stir crazy missus but will aim for 200km by Australia Day weekend and 300km before my birthday in March.
Not yet, though I did do 170k's to Bundanoon before the fling. I've had a bit of a set back with nearly 5 weeks off the bike so >160k's would probably be a biggish ride now.

I set a challenge to fatnold in Oct of one imperial century a month for 12 months with 2 catchup rides allowed. He's doing better at it than I am at the moment since I was planning the Fling to be my Nov ride before I fell crook... though thankfully I think he's missed a December century :)

Assuming all goes to plan, besides a January Imperial century I might try and slot in a Feb double metric in somewhere.

As for Food and Water, depends on the route. if I know I'll be able to get water along the way I just take a couple of bottles, otherwise I'll take a camelback and a couple of bottles. Food is normally a combination of Coles Oven baked fruit bars, gu's, maybe a sandwich or two and anything I might forage on the way.

Cheers
Gonz

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This isn't me as i'm not a crazy...

Though my mum normally does a 200km ride as training per week on her bike...:eek:

Though it must be said she is training 24/7 as she's a former Triathlon world champ :eek:

God no i couldn't do that :p

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not Gonz silly but I'm working up. Did this ride this morning, took almost exactly five hours, thought it would be less but the hills were excrutiating, had me down to about 10km p/h on some climbs.

The Black Spur

Was a pretty ride though. If I loop it back another way I can turn it into a 168km ride. I reckon 200km with less hills is quite achievable.

chops007

Likes Dirt
silly rides..

rode from gosford to gunning in 15hrs stopping to re fuel at servos in a day..(on my ss)

last wknd i had planned young to wagga 140km.. but had to many flats, and hitched the final 70km..

and rode bumble hill on sunday.... 18mins... wats a good time for this sucker????? its a killer..

struggles

Likes Dirt
I haven't done any big rides for a long time.

This thread is making me think about again.

Might be time to get rid of the SS roadie and get some gears again

I did the first Round the Bay in a Day and loved it and I rode the Geelong Otway classic about 5 years in a row. (160kms)

I haven't found anything like those sort of big rides since moving to NSW in 98.

The Gong ride will be long enough next week at my level of fitness

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Its not unheard of epic, but pretty big, I went from Canberra, to Gouldburn, to Moss Vale to Nowra in July. According to Bikely.com it was about 220km from my house. Pretty boring ride on the Hwy, but there was two descents and a climb at Kangaroo Valley which were on super fast hot mix:D, the steep 9km climb after 200km nearly killed me, but it was still really fun.

Ive also done Canberra to Goulburn and back, very boring ride, but worth doing to say 'I can ride my bike to Goulburn and back.

Im aslo planning on doing the hilly 160km return trip to the end of Boboyan Road and back before the end of the year.

chops007

Likes Dirt
my next epic

dreaming of riding from the central coast to lithgow around 200k
there is a couple of ways to go and thu wisemans ferry would be the toughest.

and catch the train back :)

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Audax folks have been doing this kind of silliness for a long time. And in terms of silly, they've got the crown:

Sydney - Melbourne 1200

http://audax.org.au/public/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=344&Itemid=347

A challenging 1200 km Randonneurs Mondiaux brevet presented by Audax Australia, organised by the NSW, ACT and Victorian Regions.

The ride starts at the Sydney Opera House at 06:00 AM, Sunday November 29th, 2009, and ends on the Yarra River in Melbourne, in the vicinity of Docklands / Federation Square.

It climbs into the Snowy Mountains and through Cabramurra, the highest town in Australia, before dropping down to Corryong beside the Murray River.
Event limit has been reached, and I see some familiar names in there. Good luck to 'em!

joemax

Likes Dirt
We make an annual trip from Turramurra to Bumble Hill in January. I've never timed myself on the hill itself but I will this year. We hit it at the 100km mark, it's then 80km back home again.

Last year we managed the round trip in 6 hours of which I spent at most 3 minutes on the front of the bunch :eek:

chops007

Likes Dirt
newy and back

hey everyone

sunday from either gosford or terrigal up to newcastle (a bite to eat) and return..
i ride a ss 38-14 so cruze abot 30km/hr

whos in???

chops

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Chops,

What route do you take to Newcastle? Are the roads good? And do you take the 5 k rail trail to Adamstown?

Cheers
Carlin

DaGonz

Eats Squid
What route do you take to Newcastle? Are the roads good? And do you take the 5 k rail trail to Adamstown?
While not to newcastle, we've ridden up to Patonga via Old Pacific highway for an easy 100k with a ferry trip back to Bobbin Head. From St Ives, through bobbin head and up. The roads were all readlly good with only one nasty scary section into Gosford (I think) and not much in the way of traffic

Fatnold has continued on old Pac up to newie and I from memory said it was a tops ride... But give him a hoy about the route I guess

Cheers
Spoonie

QZ13

Likes Dirt
to Newcastle?
nicest - via buckety, then wollombi and around (fark all traffic, not much verge)
scenic - old pacific hwy, up the coast line(good verge, bogan drivers)
fastest - F3 (meh)
funnest - all the single track on the way (ooh yeah baby, lets hook up and do it)

theres lots of different routes. What are your needs?

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, thanks for the replies. My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a bit of a tour later in the year, so we are cutting our teeth on a few small weekenders. This being the first.

The requirements are: nothing too demanding, some nice views, places to stop, bail out options (especially with the forecast of shitty weather).

The plan is:

Saturday: Leave from Turramurra, take the old Pacific Highway to Brooklyn for morning tea. Catch the ferry to Patonga, Lunch in Ettalong and finish up at my grandparent's place in Kincumber. I'm guessing 50-60ks of riding, we've got all day, so pace won't be an issue.

Sunday: Leave early, and follow the coast, Scenic Highway and Old Pacific Highway up to Newcastle, riding the 5km rail trail to Adamstown. Plenty of places to stop for coffee and tea I hope. Roughly 80km if we make it all the way to Newcastle. The bail-out option is to head west between Tuggerah lakes and Lake Macquarie and find a train station to return home.

I know there will be bogan drivers, but if there is a verge, that makes life a little easier.

Anyway, researching this trip did get me thinking about the potential awesomeness of a multi day off-road tour along the lines of:

-Sydney, LCNP, Bobbin Head, ferry to Patonga/Pearl Beach, off road spots heading north, Newcastle/Glenrock, Head west, out by Wollombi, Dirt into St Albans, Great North Road and back to Sydney somehow. It could be done with a tent strapped to the handlebars, 25litre panniers up the back, saddlebag for tools and spares, and a camelbak. Over three or four days that would be a silly long ride for sure.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
What I'd like to see something similar to the "gravel grinders" they do over in the US. Long rides (150-300km) off the beaten track on all the dodgy gravel (hence the name) roads. I think Aussie is a good country for something like these. They are generally done as a ride not a race and pass through various towns to stock up on water etc.

http://www.gravelgrindernews.com/

The Bear (Who likes things a bit different)