Mt Buller MTB race

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Details available here;
http://www.rapidascent.com.au/BikeBuller/

Entries are not open yet, but here are the categories;
  • 25km cross-country (XC ) race: along the cranking new single track in and around the Mt Buller Village (even more new trails for 2009) *
  • NEW 4hr Brakeburner Enduro: race down a super fun XC-downhill course dropping 300 vertical metres then catch the lift back up again for 4hrs, individuals or pairs – most laps wins. Suitable for XC bikes.*
  • 50km XC race: over Mt Stirling and back again on flowing wilderness trails and single tracks in a magical alpine setting*
  • 10km kids race: held on the single track around the village this is designed to gives kids a taste of the fun and enjoyment of mountain biking.*

4hr brakeburner, sounds like fun!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Details available here;
http://www.rapidascent.com.au/BikeBuller/

Entries are not open yet, but here are the categories;
  • 25km cross-country (XC ) race: along the cranking new single track in and around the Mt Buller Village (even more new trails for 2009) *
  • NEW 4hr Brakeburner Enduro: race down a super fun XC-downhill course dropping 300 vertical metres then catch the lift back up again for 4hrs, individuals or pairs – most laps wins. Suitable for XC bikes.*
  • 50km XC race: over Mt Stirling and back again on flowing wilderness trails and single tracks in a magical alpine setting*
  • 10km kids race: held on the single track around the village this is designed to gives kids a taste of the fun and enjoyment of mountain biking.*

4hr brakeburner, sounds like fun!
I am curious as to how the Enduro will be integrated into the overall competition, I believe it was just aggregate time last year (when it was 2*xc and 1*super d)

though I could be wrong

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Yeah it is still the lowest cumulative time;

From their website:
Category rules:
  • must complete stages 1, 2 and 3
  • must use the same bike for all races
  • winners will be the lowest cumulative time from, all three races.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it is still the lowest cumulative time;

From their website:
Category rules:
  • must complete stages 1, 2 and 3
  • must use the same bike for all races
  • winners will be the lowest cumulative time from, all three races.
How on earth do yu derive lowest cumulative time from "most laps wins"???????

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Not sure how they will calculate the brakeburner event, it would make sense to take the 4 hours and divide it by how many laps you do, or something along those lines

HazaMTB

Likes Bikes
Did you do the Down hill

i did it and it wasnt to good there were up hills which there shouldnt of been and the rocks were way to big well for my bike

solo

Likes Dirt
pretty tough doing a full on 25km cross country sprint basically then backing up with a 4hr brakeburner after all the while saving something for sundays 50km

Timbers

Likes Dirt
pretty tough doing a full on 25km cross country sprint basically then backing up with a 4hr brakeburner after all the while saving something for sundays 50km
Damn straight it will be tough! last year was taxing but with the addition of the 4 hour brake burner it will be hard going, but thats what makes events like this so great/ memorable.

Look at the Otway marathon, its widely regarded as the toughest marathon in Oz yet you still see huge numbers of entries for both elite level and recreational riders, there is no reason Bike Buller will not grow into something similar, obviously you need to ride the stages in an appropriate manner for your given fitness/ skill level so as to finish the event whole.

As for HAZAMTB's comments of uphills and rocks on the DH course well.........firstly its not downhill its Super D so uphills are to be expected as a Super is a point to point XC race where the finish is a lower elevation to the start, secondly if you dont like rocks maybe try another sport like swimming or ........warcraft? :cool:

Last edited:

HazaMTB

Likes Bikes
As for HAZAMTB's comments of uphills and rocks on the DH course well.........firstly its not downhill its Super D so uphills are to be expected as a Super is a point to point XC race where the finish is a lower elevation to the start, secondly if you dont like rocks maybe try another sport like swimming or ........warcraft? :cool:

Thanks for the explanation got it now

cheers

Happy Christmas

green_chairs

Likes Dirt
I'll be there, doing the 25km and the brakeburner only though. No where near fit enough to do the Stirling Return on Sunday!

I went to the Otway Odyssey last year, was awesome fun. I only did the 15km, but there were still huge numbers, and the atmosphere was awesome! Nothing like riding with other people who actually enjoy their bikes, not just stupid city commuters.

PrOd

Likes Dirt
Is this likely to sell out? I'm keen to do it but there's a decent chance I may need to be overseas at the time so may need to enter at the last minute. Is there enough accomodation in Buller to accomodate everyone or is this a problem?

rsclio

Likes Dirt
What' the kids race Like?

I was thinking of entering my son's but I think they will be bored if the track has no/little technical features as they both race BMX and can handle a bike although they are not too keen on going uphills

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
info

What can expect for the enduro course? Is it going to suit the XC race bikes or a 5-6" bike actually going to have an advantage? any jumps/ bits of fun or mostly flowy let the brakes off track?

edit: found maps too. sweet.

Last edited:

JessD

Likes Dirt
enter all 3 and be done with it

Just enter all 3.
yep, you will be shagged, but happily so.
the XC on Saturday is tough but short - rocks grow at Mt Buller so dont be skimpy on tyres. tubeless is the go as well.
The brake burner sounds like great fun...aim for me, be consistent, no silly mistakes, recover on the chairlift...and smile at all times.
the 50km Mt Stirling event is well worth it. Once you have the nasty climb out of the way(and its not long mind you, just tough) the rest is so sweet, I was astounded by the terrain and fell in love with it, it was over far too quick and the chair lift ride back to the top was so rewarding.
Its a really fun weekend. No matter what your goals or fitness level.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Just enter all 3.
yep, you will be shagged, but happily so.
the XC on Saturday is tough but short - rocks grow at Mt Buller so dont be skimpy on tyres. tubeless is the go as well.
The brake burner sounds like great fun...aim for me, be consistent, no silly mistakes, recover on the chairlift...and smile at all times.
the 50km Mt Stirling event is well worth it. Once you have the nasty climb out of the way(and its not long mind you, just tough) the rest is so sweet, I was astounded by the terrain and fell in love with it, it was over far too quick and the chair lift ride back to the top was so rewarding.
Its a really fun weekend. No matter what your goals or fitness level.
So Jess
What tyres would you suggest for a (slow) gumby on a 4" dually?