4X Parts Thread.

csd

Likes Dirt
^ This man speaks the truth! Saint's look the business, plus they're not much heavier than XT stuff :)

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But considering that XTR probably shifts the same, if not better, is lighter, is able to pull or push to change to harder gears (Up to 4 at a time I believe?) and push down three, wouldn't it be the better option?

True 'dat about the gold ano though!

floody

Wheel size expert
Well I like ano gold and only change gear once in a race (usually, up a cog, at turn 2 or 3). lol.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a shimano Tiagra with a Dura-Ace casstet. Light, strong, tucked outta the way.

Only problem with a Roadie Mech is that if you are racing in the mud, have a stick and a bucket of water ready, 'cos they dont like mud.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I like ano gold and only change gear once in a race (usually, up a cog, at turn 2 or 3). lol.
I understand that, as I only change once after the gate and maybe to a harder gear just before a sprint, but yet my argument remains, if it's only to shift once, why not use the lightest shifter possible? Ahh well, each to his own!

did you ever find your stolen stp dude?
Nope, and no insurance money either. Super, duper cut about all of it.

camtb

Likes Dirt
Why doesn't anyone run single speed, I don't change gears too much and I'm thinking about trying it out, theres a lot of weight to be saved there, considering you're getting rid of guide derailer cluster and cabling, does anyone run single speed?

What custom changes have you made to your bike?

I know nearly everyones running a custom cassette, so what have you done that makes your setup unique?

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why doesn't anyone run single speed, I don't change gears too much and I'm thinking about trying it out, theres a lot of weight to be saved there, considering you're getting rid of guide derailer cluster and cabling, does anyone run single speed?

What custom changes have you made to your bike?

I know nearly everyones running a custom cassette, so what have you done that makes your setup unique?
No one runs it because its pointless. Why would you put yourself in a harder gear so you can keep going further down the track and get a crap start because its to hard? Why wouldnt you utilise your ability to shift and get a good start AND be able to keep going further down the track.

Dante666

Likes Dirt
No one runs it because its pointless. Why would you put yourself in a harder gear so you can keep going further down the track and get a crap start because its to hard? Why wouldnt you utilise your ability to shift and get a good start AND be able to keep going further down the track.
that and UCI rules state you must have at least 3 gears

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Single speed can do well if you're racing mountain bike at the local BMX races. At least you kind of fit in that way, and courses are designed around SS BMX's after all.

Possibly a Hammershimdt set of cranks could to well with just two gears or an Alfine or Rohloff hub to if your set on keeping things clean and sleek :)

k_d

Likes Dirt
I run a shimano Tiagra with a Dura-Ace casstet. Light, strong, tucked outta the way.

Only problem with a Roadie Mech is that if you are racing in the mud, have a stick and a bucket of water ready, 'cos they dont like mud.
I used to use the same setup, but found that the deraileur made way too much noise when the surface wasn't that flash. It might just have been a problem on my bike as it's got an FSR rear end (the pivot is on the chainstay just before the rear wheel dropout). Made the switch to x9 and its sooooo much quieter.

lyndonl

Likes Dirt
In the way of tyres I managed to pull a first in U17 at Underwood last year with a 2.4 Hansventure on the front and a 2.1 crossmark on the rear, running about 60PSI to roll really quickly.

But at the moment I'm running a 2.35 High Roller on the front and a 2.0 Larsen on the rear and I'm liking that, very predictable when you run about 35PSI for a rough track like Illinbah.
hey man im running the same set up as well, is having the larson on the back better than the front?

Fraz

Likes Dirt
So I have realized that some of the parts I'm running may be abit of overkill for 4x and DS and am thinking about losing some weight off my bank. would like to hear your suggestions of where i should start.

Weight: 13.2kg

Frame: Transition Bank
Fork: Rockshox Pike 454 Coil U-turn
Headset: FSA Pig Pro

Handlebars: Sunline V1 737mm
Stem: Sunline V1 AM
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-On

Seat: SDG I Beam Bel Air SL
Seatpost: SDG I Beam

Brakes: Avid Elixir R. 160mm G3CS rotors

Wheelset: Transition Revolution 32
Tires: Maxxis Larsen TT