How to build a DH track

HAYDEN1

Likes Bikes
Mtb track

Thanks mate
i've done what you said and my track it's, it's like whistle. Not really but it's mad as
cheers

thanks

That will help me a lot with building new tracks.
Now I know not to kill thing that are in my way and instead go round them.
Thank you.
Tim

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Using quickset concrete to cap the up ramps of jumps is a good idea imo as it prevents erosion and makes for a good strong ramp that is harder to destroy. Just make sure you build the rest of the ramp well too. Also make sure you don't leave any spare concrete lying around, try and use it somewhere else. Pallets are also good for landings because they are strong and wide but using natural landings is preferable. The idea, as said before, is to create a minimal impact trail.

Top tips above, anyone who wants to start a trail should take note of this stuff.
Does quickset concrete work on dirt?

jacksongleave

Likes Bikes
thanks heaps

hey thanks heaps man that realy helped me alot with every thing, one question what type of shovel/ shade is best for building the lip (cos i have a bobcat but i cant get any lips with it:mad:). thanks:)

DALE09

Likes Bikes
cheers

hey thanks man thats good to no because i tryed and failed massively and boy did it suk alot

I was at FtP yesterday. Awesome I only make it up there about twice a year, so I forget how much fun it is; like Disney World only smaller.

L14M

Likes Bikes
excellent advice

this thread really helps alot, well done guys

and if you can get a decent google earth/map of the site - do it

print it out and it might help you that little bit extra

cheers, Liam

Last edited:

Sgt. Tangent

Likes Bikes
hey thanks heaps man that realy helped me alot with every thing, one question what type of shovel/ shade is best for building the lip (cos i have a bobcat but i cant get any lips with it:mad:). thanks:)
Good question, probably a smaller one than the one you'd use for building the bulk of the jump. Typically, me and my mates use a big, long handled shovel to build most of the jump, move on to the next jump/berm/obstacle whilst one of us stays back to properly finish the jump with a smaller, square handled shovel. Works well with dj's, but would translate well to Dh track.

My question: What do you take/bring to build a Dh track (not just a fun track, a serious, to-be-legal track)

I was thinking various shovels (the two shovels described above, possibly others), a metal rake, a big ol' mattock for breaking up the ground, but thats as far as I got.. then more track specific objects started popping into my head, things like little sections of PVC pipes, for drainage, but what other things would be in the inventory of Dh traill buiders?

mongoosemongrel

Likes Dirt
so me and a few mates have just started to make a dh track. a problem we have come accross is ALOT of unmovable rocks. like sharp, sticking out of the ground limestone rocks. and very little sand. what the hell do we do!! we cant go around the section, and we already have so many rock gardens, wa want start to open up the track and make it a little faster but theres so many lime stone rocks.. knock them out with a sledge hammer??

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so me and a few mates have just started to make a dh track. a problem we have come accross is ALOT of unmovable rocks. like sharp, sticking out of the ground limestone rocks. and very little sand. what the hell do we do!! we cant go around the section, and we already have so many rock gardens, wa want start to open up the track and make it a little faster but theres so many lime stone rocks.. knock them out with a sledge hammer??
Couple of options, 1. Some northshore, which I hate in downhill tracks but is sometimes just needed. Otherwise put the hard yards in with a pick and go smash some rocks!

bilza_411

Squid
thanks for advice

ive started building a trail of my own and this forum has helped me with some ideas.

thanks for the tips dude

ive started building a trail of my own and this forum has helped me with some ideas.

thanks for the tips dude
There is some great idea i wouldn't have thought of with out this wish i had land to build a good one on and know that it wont get destroyed by council.
It would be rewarding to do it all your self and test it out.
I think people should post more of the tracks they built them selves.
keep up the good work.

jason9422

Banned
your tips where very helpfull thanks. i have one question would you get introuble by the council if thay find out who built a track? thanks :confused:

your tips where very helpfull thanks. i have one question would you get introuble by the council if thay find out who built a track? thanks :confused:
Sorry what i said was "get destroyed by council" ie, the track i just built gets demolished by the council.

I have had this happen before when i rode BMX the council just destroyed a Six Pack i have just finished building the week before it wasnt even near the road.

I dont feel ill get in trouble.

Cheers Swain