SCOTT 24 hour 2010

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
It wil be roughly on the 9/10 October.
Forget the "roughly". 9/10 October at Stromlo, in conjunction with the 24 Hours of Adrenalin World Solo 24Hr MTB Champs. There will be no Solo category in the Scott - only teams. The Solos is the world solos and you need to qualify or apply for an entry for that. Latest World Solo FAQ document is attached.

Attachments

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
looks like this ill be the first time i miss it since 06. i was under the impression that you weren't allowed to ride AND support a soloist but i was hoping to ride as a 4 or a 6 and spend my spare time helping a few buddies riding solo. boo.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
looks like this ill be the first time i miss it since 06. i was under the impression that you weren't allowed to ride AND support a soloist but i was hoping to ride as a 4 or a 6 and spend my spare time helping a few buddies riding solo. boo.
I'm pretty sure that there would be no technical rule that would prohibit that... the limit will be pit passes - access to solo row was pretty controlled at Canmore last year (I think you got two crew passes per rider) so if you have the magic pass... you can get in to support. The difficulty is that you can't camp a team in the solo area so a team of 4/6 supporting a solo and all sharing the same campground isn't allowed / won't work.

If you're supporting a few riders then so long as one of them lends / hands you the magic pit pass you can come and go as you like. Just a bit of fiddling around is all. At the Scott last year I rode in a 6 (we camped upon the hill somewhere) and between laps wandered down to the solo area to help support a mate. Don't see why this would be much different (well, apart from the level of control around the pits etc but the concept is similar).

sean_23

Likes Bikes
So no "social soloing" this year? Bummer...

Does anyone know if this is a permanent fixture, or just this time around?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
It's just 'cos the World 24hr is hosted in conjunction with the Scott. Unless that happens again next year, it'll be back to 'situation normal' for the Scott surely. (I'm betting it's way too early for informed conjecture on that :) )

Tracey R

Cannon Fodder
When do team entries open for Scott 24hr?

Hello
Does anyone know when team entries open for the Scott 24 hour this year?
Thanks
Tracey

It's just 'cos the World 24hr is hosted in conjunction with the Scott. Unless that happens again next year, it'll be back to 'situation normal' for the Scott surely. (I'm betting it's way too early for informed conjecture on that :) )

So no "social soloing" this year? Bummer...

Does anyone know if this is a permanent fixture, or just this time around?
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you don't have a team already how can you enter? Will there be some way of pairing soloists people up?

I wanted to just rock up and enter by myself but i'm not sure how.

Le Matelot

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you don't have a team already how can you enter? Will there be some way of pairing soloists people up?

I wanted to just rock up and enter by myself but i'm not sure how.
If you want to enter as a Solo, then this year you need to have qualified for the World Solo 24Hr Champs. There have been a few qualifying races in Australia so far, 2 more to go, and you can also qualify by individual application based on your riding history. See pages 4 and 5 of the attached FAQ document.

If you want to enter in a "traditional" team for the race (2,3,4,6,8,10) then get some mates together and get ready for team entries to open in about a month.

Attachments

Le Matelot

I was under the impression that you weren't allowed to ride AND support a soloist but i was hoping to ride as a 4 or a 6 and spend my spare time helping a few buddies riding solo. boo.
You can do that, but the physical aspects of it will be a bit harder this year. However, for the World Champs, every Solo rider must have at least one person nominated as their helper who is a non-riding person.

I'm pretty sure that there would be no technical rule that would prohibit that... the limit will be pit passes - access to solo row was pretty controlled at Canmore last year (I think you got two crew passes per rider) so if you have the magic pass... you can get in to support. The difficulty is that you can't camp a team in the solo area so a team of 4/6 supporting a solo and all sharing the same campground isn't allowed / won't work.

If you're supporting a few riders then so long as one of them lends / hands you the magic pit pass you can come and go as you like. Just a bit of fiddling around is all. At the Scott last year I rode in a 6 (we camped upon the hill somewhere) and between laps wandered down to the solo area to help support a mate. Don't see why this would be much different (well, apart from the level of control around the pits etc but the concept is similar).
Correct.

Beej1

Any word on the trail layout? Single loop for 24hrs solid? hourglass with separate starts? mass start with course change mid-way through?

Hourglass gets my vote. Not that we're voting.

mtnbike

Squid
The Scott - Canberra 24 Hour Race - Transport

Howdy - they still haven't uploaded the event date but i'm pretty sure it will be Oct 9/10. We'll be driving down for those Sydney based riders who do not want to drive down. We can fit 16 riders, and their gear, so if you're interested in jumping the bus ($69) check out www.mtnbike.com.au and sort your spot. Cheers - Will

Beej1

From the 24hrs of Adrenalin website:

12th annual World Solo Championships will for the first time travel outside of North America to Australia for 2010.

The CORC bid from Canberra, Australia has been awarded the 2010 WSC.

- Registration is Open, with a cap of 300 solo riders.
- 2,200 additional riders will take part on teams.
- Two separate courses will be used for the event coming together at the transition / expo area.
Two separate courses - do you think it means one for pro solos, and one for pleb teams? Or hourglass for both? I'm guessing the former, since it will avoid pleb team riders from crashing into pro solo riders, or worse still crash into them. But I'd prefer the latter.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
From the 24hrs of Adrenalin website:

Two separate courses - do you think it means one for pro solos, and one for pleb teams? Or hourglass for both? I'm guessing the former, since it will avoid pleb team riders from crashing into pro solo riders, or worse still crash into them. But I'd prefer the latter.
I'm working for two separate courses sharing only transition. Between work, uni and play I've been too busy to get out and nut it out for sure :-/ Soon Gadget, soon...

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Stromlo's a big place with lots of trails: Perhaps a dedicated 9-10km Solo loop, AND a figure-8 teams course made up of two 12-15km loops? *

Fly-over bridges have become a regular feature of the Stromlo course .. it'd be great if the teams could ride over/under the solos, and perhaps nearby, parallel to them for short sections.

* Last year's 30-odd track-metres per concurrent rider was too crowded at Stromlo. 50m-per-rider works better. Le Matelot's numbers are where it's at.

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
Typical

I'm working for two separate courses sharing only transition. Between work, uni and play I've been too busy to get out and nut it out for sure :-/ Soon Gadget, soon...
It amazes me that every year this discussion has to occur because as usual the Scott organisers see fit to only dribble out information on forums such as this instead of pulling their finger out and getting the website up to date. The rubbish web site (and they are rubbish every year – pages take too long to load - too many boring fancy graphics - google 'how not to build a web site' and you will discover that nearly every rule is broken...) sits there idle with last years date - would it be not too damn simple to change a date?? 4 Months to go and NO official information. An event this big should put out information in a timely manner for interstate people to know what the heck is going on. This is the biggest MTB event of the year (OK, OK, well nearly the biggest - we just don't talk about the Mont and the Scott in the same discussion...)

To hear that someone is too busy to ...'nut it out for sure'... should hand the task over as far as I am concerned. :( Every Scott event seems to involve re inventing the wheel. Last year there were people who responded on this site (people who had input to last years event) that a figure of 8 course would be a good idea!!!! What??? Hello? Year 2008 people?? Yes it is a big event. Yes it involves volunteers which we are all grateful for. But why such shoddy last minute preparation every year? Have any of the organisers heard of the "7 Ps"? And for Christ's sake this time make the course long enough to spread riders out a bit - how hard can it be????!!!!

And before anyone drones on about how difficult it is to put on an event like this and I am sure it is:
2200 riders x $130 = $286,000 PLUS 400 soloists x $375 = $150,000 TOTAL $436,000 plus or minus.

<end of rant>

Question: Which group will be going up the hill every lap - teams or soloists? That will make the event potentially very interesting depending which way you look at it.... :)

Having said all this - I sincerely hope the event is booked out, runs smoothly and our top soloists kick ass! :cool:

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, I'd be putting on your flame retardant suit pretty quickly, because I think you are about to get it from every single angle.

I'll just settle for saying that I think you are off base with just about every statement there. I've done events in alot of places, and consistently the Scott 24 is the best run event I attend every year.

Maybe you'd like to spend your race dollars elsewhere, and leave a spot free at the Scott for someone that might actually appreciate the event.